Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked car.. HELP!

Options
  • 21-11-2007 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there,

I recently purchased a 03 Golf GTI from a garage for €14000. It had 57000 miles on the clock and i thought that i had gotten a bargain...

Today i received my logbook in the post and I realised that the car had been imported from the UK so first of all I logged on to motorcheck.ie and everything checked out on the car but I wanted to see if there was any history in the UK so went to RAC.co uk paid my fiver and i got a report saying that their was a discrepancy with the mileage!! It seems there was at least 67000 miles removed form the clock... before I get in contact with the garage tomorrow can anybody give me an idea what the procedure is normally in this situation.

thanks (sorry the post was so long!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

name and shame

As for advice, there are a few similar threads in the last two or three months.
    Do a search and all the advice you need will be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭shaffrey

cheers mick it was tractamotors in blanch..will have a search now thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

shaffrey wrote: »
    cheers mick it was tractamotors in blanch..will have a search now thanks

UK VW's seem to be popular for the clocking. Make sure to photocopy everything even before you see the garage.

Best of luck. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

as long as you bought it from a dealer you have a good case to either get some money back or get a decent car, I wouldnt accept the car myself with around 130k on it for a 2003.,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Go for a refund and get shot of it. Why didn't you check it's history fully before buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Hi there,

I recently purchased a 03 Golf GTI from a garage for €14000. It had 57000 miles on the clock and i thought that i had gotten a bargain...

Today i received my logbook in the post and I realised that the car had been imported from the UK so first of all I logged on to motorcheck.ie and everything checked out on the car but I wanted to see if there was any history in the UK so went to RAC.co uk paid my fiver and i got a report saying that their was a discrepancy with the mileage!! It seems there was at least 67000 miles removed form the clock... before I get in contact with the garage tomorrow can anybody give me an idea what the procedure is normally in this situation.

I could be wrong on this cos I'm not sure why I have it in my head but some of the dealers on here might be able to say if I'm right or wrong. I think that the fact that a car was imported from abroad is one of the things that a seller has to disclose as part of a sale, along with involvement in crashes etc. So even with the clocking aside, you might have a case there.
    (It might be one of those 'only if you ask' jobs though)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

(It might be one of those 'only if you ask' jobs though)

..........yeah got it in one !!

To the OP, bring the car back for a refund !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Hi there,

I used Motorcheck.ie myself before for two reports (mainly for finance and ownership status) but i got a mate of mine to do it on a car he was buyin from a private seller. He did the report and found out from it that it was a UK car and took the reg from the report. He used that reg on some history checker in the uk and the same thing happened, mileage differences were MASSIVE. :mad:

He nearly got stung, if he had have bought the car, there was no going back with a private seller!

For the sake of 35euro, doing a report on a car before you put the deposit down is the way forward, saves a serious amount of hassle afterwards. I recommend get in touch with the dealer though with your evidence of it being clocked, let us know how you get on!!! lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

How do you get round the rac.co.uk, it wants a uk postcode when i try to run a check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How do you get round the rac.co.uk, it wants a uk postcode when i try to run a check
    Call them, they'll do a check for £5 over the phone. 0044 1722 422422.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Give it one

Here's one for around Holyhead LL65 1YB

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

any update on how the op got on

Advertisement