Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Consumption

Options
  • 21-11-2007 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have a 94 BMW 316 at the moment i am driving from Loughlinstown to Clondalkin and back every day, traffic doesn't get busy until i get passed the Tallaght speed camera. I am paying around 10euro a day for this small journey i have the car a good few months but low on cash at the moment and didnt notice the amount of petrol i was using before.

And it is not leaking at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Certain things go and can increase fuel comsumption. My corsa when i had it was eating juice and i changed the oxygen sensor (quick job) and it dropped right down . Not sure if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Had a 96 318is that had same issue until oxygen sensor was changed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Airflow meter went on my octavia, was only getting 35 mpg ...

Changed it out and started to get 50 - 55 straight away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

Cheers lads looked into the oxygen sensor symptoms and they are as follows:

* Irregular idle during warm-up
    * Irregular idle with warm engine
    * Engine will not accelerate and backfires
    * Poor engine performance
    * Fuel consumption is high
    * Driving performance is weak
    * CO concentration at idle is too high or too low
    * Check Engine light is illuminated

It says that this should be changed every 30k miles aswell so if thats not the issue im sure this is worth a go, i will give you updates on what happens.

Was in 4th going about 50mph dropped to third to over take and it did seem like it was low on power, but i could just be paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

other things that affect fuel consumption (besides a properly working engine)

- low tyre pressure
    - extra weight
    - roof racks
    - and most importanly, errativc driving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

craichoe wrote: »
    Airflow meter went on my octavia, was only getting 35 mpg ...

Changed it out and started to get 50 - 55 straight away :)

craichoe: how much was the air flow meter? I take it that it was for a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Petrol prices have jumped in the last couple of weeks too, you may only be feeling it on your wallet now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Yeah it's probably something like the oxygen sensor/regulator.

Consider yourself lucky, on a good day, with a perfect condition 320ci, I get 23mpg :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cashmni1 wrote: »
    craichoe: how much was the air flow meter? I take it that it was for a diesel?

was 128 euro new.

It its a Diesel, but its on Petrol engines also, its just a sensor on the air intake that tells the ECU how much air is coming in. If theres a false reading, it doesn't know how much to push through the fuel pump. Hence gammy performance and poor mpg

Just did a calculation on http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm and it turns out i get 8 liter petrol per day travel 25 miles per day and get 14.21mpg, thats pretty ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

I had same car (2004 316i saloon) and got 32-35mpg. Performance was poor below 4000rpm and throttle response was terrible.

Yeah it is pretty bad what im getting at the moment so im gonna have to get this done straight away.

Advertisement