Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touchscreen Texting

• 21-11-2007 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yeah, it's nowhere near as good as having real buttons. I've been using touchscreen for the last 3 years and I hardly text much now because of it. If I'm at work or at home I use Outlook to send the texts over bluetooth. If I'm out and about I normally just make a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This post has been deleted.

no i knew that a touchscreen phone would make texting and generally using the phone very annoying so i never bought one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

This will always be the problem for touchscreen PDA Phones. They have the advantage of a bigger screen allowing better gui interfaces and feature rich applications but a real keyboard will always be the best input mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't text much so it doesn't really bother me. I'm typing this with a touchscreen iPhone andi it was still pretty fast. Only one typing error and took about 30 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I was playing around with the iphone when I was in the states and it put me right off.

Now I know i don't have the most delicate and tiny of fingers (curse my fathers genes) but I was playing with it for a good while over a no of days and i found it a nightmare to hit the right keys and had far more spelling mistakes than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

The Simpsons comes to mind...

"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now."

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my gps is entirely touchscreen of course and even typing an address in is very irritating because of my hoof like fingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm a text addict, with the 400 text add on from Vodafone that I regularly exceed, and sometimes double. Went from an n93 that I could text on with my eyes closed, to the iPhone, and it's okay. Sometimes I'd prefer a keypad, but it isn't too bad. I reckon overall my wpm is the same, but you do miss the tactile feedback.

Apparently Nokia have a touchscreen coming out next year with haptic feedback, so you'll be able to 'feel' the buttons on the touchscreen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

my marvellous m600 has a keyboard as well as touch screen, so i only really use the touchscreen to text if im inthe middle of doing other touchscreeny things. bit slower than texting but im too lazy to put the stylus down somedays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

touch screens on phones are just awful. they should bring in a EU regulation to ban those things. i will never again buy a phone that doesn't have a full keyboard. i have a satphone with the ordinary 12 button keypad and i find it just painful to text on

and isn't the touchscreen on the much-hated iPhone supposed to wear out after a few months of heavy use? and then there is the whole thing with the touch screens getting dirty, and losing the silly little fake pencil that comes with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement