Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing on Bondi Beach

Options
  • 21-11-2007 6:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hey, I'm just learning to surf. Had a few lessons and can stand up from time to time! I'm living out at bondi and was thinking of having a few lessons there, but some people say that the rip is very strong and it's a really hard place to surf.....especially for a newbie! Anyone got any opinions on this!!? I don't want to go paying a fortune for lessons if I'm just going to be standing in the water fighting with my board!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Talk to the people who give the lessons. I think they will be able to accommodate you and tell you whether its suitable for you or not. All friendly people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Bondi is realy bad at the moment. If you are going to do lessons there go on a week day because there are too many surfers out and no waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dap75au

so crowded that it can be intimidating for a newbie. Get a car and drive down to the royal national park. 1 hour drive from Bondi.
    Failing that get up before the sun rises and be the first on the beach, you should be able to bag a couple of waves before it gets too busy....
    Stick with it though you'll get there, make sure you get out every day at least once though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Papergirl 1

dap75au wrote: »
    so crowded that it can be intimidating for a newbie. Get a car and drive down to the royal national park. 1 hour drive from Bondi.
    Failing that get up before the sun rises and be the first on the beach, you should be able to bag a couple of waves before it gets too busy....
    Stick with it though you'll get there, make sure you get out every day at least once though.

Hey thanks for that. I'm thinking of buying board and just getting stuck into myself. Need to do it more often if I'm going to be any good at it! Would you have any idea where I wud pick up a 2nd hand board, or would I be better just buying a new one? Any new ones that I've seen are pretty pricey!?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

You could try Lets go Surfing --> http://www.letsgosurfing.com.au/ on Bondi beach for lessons and they might also get you a second hand board. I'm selling an 8 foot board at Christmas if you were willing to wait till then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dap75au

Happy hockers pawn shop on Hall street has a load of second hand boards. Try and get something that is already a little beat up and big enough for a beginner. There is a pawnshop up in Bondi junction that has a few boards aswell...cash converters is the name i think, it's just beside the cock and bull Irish pub.
    There are always garage sales on weekends so keep a look out. Also, in the hostels there are always notices up from people moving on and selling their boards...they are sometimes desperate to get rid of the things so you can haggle.
    I wouldn't really pay more than 200 dollars for a board if I were you as you will want a smaller board probably when you get better.:)

Advertisement