Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISPCA- Your honest opinions

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Good on you for taking care of the poor thing and I hope he has a happy live with you.

I've seen this many times, I can't take him home to care for him because I just got new carpets, what will I do with him when were on holiday the list go's on, I don't believe it is ignorance we are a well educated country you either choose to care or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Discodog wrote: »
    It always baffles me when ignorance is used as an excuse for animal cruelty. There seems to be this notion that the accused didn't know that he was starving his pet or that it does hurt a donkey to have foot long hooves.

I don't think anyone was in any way using ignorance as an excuse for cruelty. You are way off the mark with those two examples.

I'm talking about spaying, for example. By not having a dog spayed, a person is not inflicting suffering on an animal.
    But if they allow their dog to constantly wander and inevitably reproduce, then they are contributing to the huge unwanted dog problem we have here.
    If that's how they 'care' for the dog, then they are also unlikely to notice any minor ailments that could in time result in something serious, for example. They essentially just provide food and let the dog do its own thing the rest of the time.
    Discodog wrote: »
    The RSPCA used to follow the practice of education & reform as do the Irish SPCA's. Now they have become much more proactive regarding proscecution following encouragement from the government.
    Imo, the RSPCA have always been proactive regarding prosecutions for cruelty offences. The difference is that they now have the benefit of the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

Also the RSPCA is a large organisation, which has it's own prosecutions department. In Ireland, all prosecutions are carried out by the Gardai. The SPCA's here do not have the means to carry out such private prosecutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

On the subject of relationships, isn't it mad how someones views on animals can make such a big part of how you see them!

Definitely! I couldn't go out with someone that didn't like animals! Actually don't think I could be friends with someone who didn't like them....not fussed over them I can deal with but actually not liking? Weirdos! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The SPCA's here do not have the means to carry out such private prosecutions.
    They could but as the SPCA's are not statutory bodies the costs are going to be astronomical. If they bothered they must pay all the costs. If they loose the accused could clean them out in a civil action for wrongful prosecution.

Easier to have the Gardaí pick up the tab and the potential liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We saw a a well-dressed woman in Town who on consecutive days, right opposite the Garda barracks, would throw her dog out of the car, then drive off down the pier with the poor thing yelping and chasing her. And how it did not get run over by other cars...

Clearly her way of exercising it

Everyone saw and just stared.

I was so angry that had I faced her i would have hit her..

So when she came back up, I stood in front of the car and wrote the reg number down.

Called our excellent Donegal Pet Resue man; he said it is illegal to do that and he would call the Gardai himself. Also that this had been reported to him already but no one was willing to be a witness.

We have already reported others to the Gardai and they are getting wary of us so this way was best for us.

And that I had the reg number was perfect.

It was the way everyone just watched and did nothing.

Donegal Pet Rescue have told us that if ever we tak a dog in that is being badly treated as we cannot care for any more here, they will pay kennel fees until it is rehomed. We have that address and phone number.

http://www.donegalpetrescue.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

For us this works. We are known to the people now. by the way, the founder is Welsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

http://www.dspca.ie/news_item.php?number=1194&type=News&archive=No

This is a recent example where an spca took a case to court and won. The guy was convicted and fined €550. I read elsewhere that he wasn't banned from having animals. What kind of message does this send out? You'll get a slap on the wrist and a paltry fine for starving a dog to the brink of death. The legislation is a joke.

I'm interested to see the new Animal Health & Welfare Act and wonder will it be a missed opportunity. They really can't afford to screw it up.

Vel wrote: »
    This is a recent example where an spca took a case to court and won. The guy was convicted and fined €550. I read elsewhere that he wasn't banned from having animals. What kind of message does this send out? You'll get a slap on the wrist and a paltry fine for starving a dog to the brink of death.
    I think that this is more of an example of the typical routine.

The SPCA respond to the report, take the animal into care and initiate a prosecution. It appears from the article that the Gardai in Tallaght actually took the prosecution. The SPCA inspector and vet (in particular) would have been key witnesses for the prosecution.
    The legislation is a joke.
    Even with what we have, it could/should have been more severe.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/act/pub/0037/sec0048.html#zza37y1996s48
    http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Legislation&Year=1911&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0&blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&TYPE=QS&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocId=1069356&ActiveTextDocId=1069361&filesize=895

The SPCA respond to the report, take the animal into care and initiate a prosecution. It appears from the article that the Gardai in Tallaght actually took the prosecution. The SPCA inspector and vet (in particular) would have been key witnesses for the prosecution.
    The SPCAs never initiate a prosecution, all they do is pass their evidence to the Gardaí and let them do the actual prosecution. SPCAs do not have any statutory powers or any statutory standing in that they are not public bodies but are merely private entities/charities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Almost identical case here in Donegal with the same outcome. Just is wrong.

This is a recent example where an spca took a case to court and won. The guy was convicted and fined €550. I read elsewhere that he wasn't banned from having animals. What kind of message does this send out? You'll get a slap on the wrist and a paltry fine for starving a dog to the brink of death. The legislation is a joke.

I'm interested to see the new Animal Health & Welfare Act and wonder will it be a missed opportunity. They really can't afford to screw it up.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The SPCAs never initiate a prosecution, all they do is pass their evidence to the Gardaí and let them do the actual prosecution.
    Maybe not the most appropriate word, but I was using 'initiate' in a literal way. In the sense that the SPCA are often the first people to deal with the report and may subsequently decide to seek assistance from the Gardai, if the situation is serious.
    They, along with a vet, may need to advise the Gardai that a particular incident is serious enough to warrant a possible prosecution. Many Gardai are very unfamiliar with animal welfare law. The SPCA get the 'ball rolling'.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    SPCAs do not have any statutory powers or any statutory standing in that they are not public bodies but are merely private entities/charities.

Quite right.

• Advertisement

Many Gardai are very unfamiliar with animal welfare law.
    That is sadly very true. :(

Many Gardai are very unfamiliar with animal welfare law.
    That is sadly very true. :(

Advertisement