Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build problems... already!!!

Options
  • 21-11-2007 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

God what a joke. Sat down this morning hoping to put together all my parts which finally arrived and so started with the case.

Took it out of the box ok, instructions in the box but nothing else. What makes it worse is its an Antec Sonata III which has a lock on the only openable side panel and you guessed it, its locked.

I've taken out all the drive bays at the front so I can get my hand inside but cant find either the key or bag of screws/standoffs. There is a little cardboard box inside which im hoping has both the key and bag of screws but its inside the HD cage which I cant get into at all.

Anyone any idea how to get into it?

It's one of these locks:

G_11338G_SW_1.jpg

I can reach in to the backside of the lock but it wont turn without the key in it...:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Score. I got it. Had to master myself a key from the lid of a pen but I goti in!

Macgyver would have been proud.

Ok new problem :D

Have it all together. When I turn it on everything powers up except there is no signal being sent to the monitor. "No Video Input" it keeps telling me.

Everything seems to power up, the hard drive is on, the case fan, PSU fan, CPU fan and graphics card fan are all running so I think everything is in ok.

My only worry is that i've damaged the processor/motherboard when putting it in. S775 chip, gigabyte Ga-P31-Ds3L is the board, when I placed the processor into its position I made sure it was the correct one everything was aligned so I started to press down the lever back into position - this took quite a bit of force which was worrying so I stopped half way through took out the processor and placed it back into position again but it still took the same amount of force. Ugh now im thinking I might have busted it doing this.

Also the light on the dvd drive is on but it wont let me open it.. power light at the front of the case is on too. No beeps or anything when I power up.

Anyone got any ideas advice/insults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What model is your monitor? I was freaking out once on a build when it wouldn't give me a display, turned out all I had to do was hit the 'auto' button for it to detect dvi (must have been on vga) and it was fine! :o

other then that, start simple, remove all unnecessary parts and see if something is interfering. Just run the basics. You're sure all the connections are connected properly? 4 pin? It sounds stupid, but it does happen.

the pressure on the lever is normal. 775 is pinless so you can't damage the processor in the same way you could in older builds and it only fits in one way that allows you to close it so I wouldn't worry. Though it might not hurt to reseat it anyway.

Its an old Philips 150s 15" monitor.

Had a look back inside and the 4 pin wasnt connected so I plugged it in, now nothing will power up, took it back out and nothing powered up again. Eek.

Not sure whats gone wrong now.

When I said it took quite a bit of pressure it took quite a bit to get the lever back in place. Is it possible i've damaged the socket on the motherboard?

Ive reseated the processor and have everything, I think, connected now that the 4 pin is in. Still no juice though.

Whats weird is that there was power running through everything earlier when the 4 pin wasnt connected. No sign of any power at all now except when I plug the lead in at the back.

• Advertisement

I've flipped through all the manuals 3 or 4 times and I had everything in place according to them.

I've unplugged everything now except for graphics card, 1 stick or memory, processor and graphics card and still no power when I turn it on.

Power supply gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Vikings wrote: »
    Power supply gone?

Could be... Or it could be the power cable.. Fuse etc... Does your motherboard show a light when the power is connected and the on switch is on? Handiest thing ever... Also did you upset the power button connecters when you were taking everything out? Make sure that they the right way round etc...

No there is no light on the motherboard - at least not anymore, not sure if there was when it did power up earlier.

I disconnected literally everything from the motherboard and then plugged it back in one piece at a time trying to boot up at each stage but no power went into it at all. I'll try another power cable if I can find one but I do hear what sounds like a spark/something when I plug in the lead to the power supply itself.

Double and triple checked the power connectors but they were all connected the same way as before when I was getting power to it.

Advertisement