Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Irish player sent home

• 21-11-2007 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Didn't see this on here, what is it with Irish players and getting sent home thee days...

McCann sent home from Ireland game

Republic of Ireland Under-21 boss Don Givens lambasted midfielder Chris McCann for opting out of the squad less than two hours before the UEFA Championship qualifying clash with Bulgaria.

Burnley youngster McCann, 20, told Givens he did not want to take his place on the Irish bench and was subsequently sent home.

The Republic won the match in Athlone 1-0 courtesy of John-Joe O'Toole's injury-time winner, which handed Givens' side their first win of the campaign.

'The background was that Chris McCann came to me at 5.15pm and said he didn't want to be in the squad tonight. It was a waste of time him being here,' explained Givens.

'He travelled to Montenegro and did not take part. He wasn't in the starting line-up tonight and he didn't want to be in the squad. I said to him 'have a think about it because it is obviously going to affect your future'.

'He said that he didn't want to be in so I said to pack his things and go.

'I regret now that he hadn't told me earlier because I'd have got somebody else on the bench. I'd have got a local boy in.

'I could have got somebody in because half this town would give their right arm to play for their country. Here's a kid who doesn't want to be there.

'I can never understand anybody that doesn't want to pull on the green shirt.

'I don't know the boy very well. He trained fine. There was no problem with his training in Dublin or here. As soon as the team was announced I wish he'd come to me then.'

When asked if it would impact on Givens picking the player again, Givens pulled no punches.

'Will I pick him again? Would you?' said the Irish boss.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1120/ireland_u21.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Who is this Chris McCann lad anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Any idea what McCann's side of the story is? There must be Something more to it.

Nobody joins up with the team, does all the trainings in Ireland, travels away, continues training and then 2 hours before a match pulls out of the squad for absolutely no reason. Obviously, pretty much whatever the reason, i think he's wrong, but id like to hear the full story before i totally judge him.

Quick question as well on Irish youth, is that Terry Dixon young fella at Spurs still impressing as much as he was at 16 when he was called up to train with the full Irish team? Was a lot of talk about him at one stage, heard nought in a while now though

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Who is this Chris McCann lad anyway?
    midfielder at burnley, scores his fair share of goals too
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Quick question as well on Irish youth, is that Terry Dixon young fella at Spurs still impressing as much as he was at 16 when he was called up to train with the full Irish team? Was a lot of talk about him at one stage, heard nought in a while now though
    He was out for a year with a serious knee injury that required surgery. Made his comeback for the Spurs reserve side, and got injured again. That's his third serious knee injury, all before he turns 18. He is supposed to be highly rated at Spurs, but if he continues like this, his career will be over before it starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sounds like a future Le Sulk. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Givens seems to be involved in dispute after dispute these days... the FAI should really be considering his position after this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Givens seems to be involved in dispute after dispute these days... the FAI should really be considering his position after this.

I am not a fan of Givens at all, I'd be happy with this. In a slightly related matter, I was really impressed with Quigley (he's with UCD at the minute I think) in goal last night I haven't seen him much this season but I reckon a couple of English clubs may come knocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

He seems to be playing regular football at Burnley, so the question I would ask is why he was on the bench.

Maybe he feels he should be in the starting line up and threw his toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

emc2 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of Givens at all, I'd be happy with this. In a slightly related matter, I was really impressed with Quigley (he's with UCD at the minute I think) in goal last night I haven't seen him much this season but I reckon a couple of English clubs may come knocking.

Didnt he go to Birmingham last year with Gary Dicker for a while but ended up back at UCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Heard from a fella who bumped into him recently, still limping heavily and is expected to have yet another operation shortly.

Heard elsewhere that this is the make or break surgery, if it doesn't work out his career will be over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's a load of bollox, Brian McCharty and Noel McGee From Athlone Town were the stand by's they were going to call up, but it was too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

The lad pulled out of the squad two hours before kick off... what was Given meant to do include him in the lineup because he felt he should be starting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

On A related note...Me and J.J. O'Toole (hates being called John Joe!) in the tunnel in Lissy Wollen, . MY mate was playing left mid (Sheehan) and brought me and another mate into the tunnel for a chat after the match, was drinking with the team untill about 4am in the residents bar of their hotle last night, nice shower of feckers!

p.s. My hair is all over the place because I get a bit... over excited at matches and so on...

Advertisement