Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logic users, I need your help.

Options
  • 21-11-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been asked to remix a track recorded 18 months ago. The original mix was done in Logic and I work with Cubase 4 so my system can't read the files.

Is there any one willing to consolidate the files for me and return the audio files on DVD??

What would you charge me too???

Thanks in advance,

Brettzy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

can you not get them to just send you the midi file and the audio as is generally done for remixes?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

Helix wrote: »
    can you not get them to just send you the midi file and the audio as is generally done for remixes?

I wish it was that easy Helix but the guy involved has tried on serveral occasions to get the studio to send on the audio tracks (in wav or aiff) but they keep giving him excuses.

They gave him a DVD with the logic bak files on it but my pc doesn't recognize the audio files on it so I'm out of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

brettzy wrote: »
    I wish it was that easy Helix but the guy involved has tried on serveral occasions to get the studio to send on the audio tracks (in wav or aiff) but they keep giving him excuses.

They gave him a DVD with the logic bak files on it but my pc doesn't recognize the audio files on it so I'm out of options.

.bak files in Logic are just backup files, AFAIK. When a Logic Project is saved, all associated audio and MIDI files are stored in a directory in a standard format (AIFF for audio). The project would be useless without this directory. Is it possible that the person in this studio is trying to pull the wool over your eyes? :confused: Seems he might be, unless for some reason they used some unusual export format I have never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

could be that the track itself has no actual audio in it perhaps?

im not too familiar with the logic environment so i dont know the native file formats or save structure, but if it was a midi only project firing off vsts, it wouldnt need accompanying audio. wouldnt the .bak file contain all the midi and vst information?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭brettzy

It might be that the studio is tring to cover themselves but I don't to speculate just yet.

The DVD I got has a load of different folders. The one that looks like it has audio files in it is just under a gig in size. It's call (songtitle).bak. When I open it has about 40 unrecognized files called bass#17(for example).

I first tried to copy these files to my hard drive and rename them bass17.wav and then bass17.aiff and tried to import them into cubase4 but I got the error message "invalid file type".

I found this info on the logic website. It said AAF, OMF, and XML support allows easy transfers between Logic Pro and other popular audio and video applications such as Pro Tools and Final Cut Pro.

also
    CAF file format support allows you to record extended-length projects of up to 6 hours at 96kHz.

So I assume that logic has it's own audio file format and unless an omf or all audio is consolidated in wav or aiff then it can't be read by other DAW's.

Any ideas guys????

• Advertisement
Advertisement