Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lights *a rant*

Options
  • 21-11-2007 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

People ...in case you hadn't noticed ...it's dark outside most of the time, so please !
      stick on your lights, not the side lights, not the full beam, not the foglights but your dipped headlights
      make sure all lights (front and rear) are working, do so regularly
      make sure your lights are properly aligned
      adjust the beam down when towing a heavy trailer
      dip your full beams when you meet other traffic
      switch off those bloody fogs !

btw ... a low sun also impairs vision greatly, please also switch your lights on during the day, especially early morning/late afternoon and particularly so if you're driving with the sun in your back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

+1

Particularly the part on align them. So many people driving around with cock-eyed lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

• No Fogs
    • No Fogs
    • No Fogs
    • No Foglamps in the night or day WITHOUT SERIOUS FOG GOD-DAMNIT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Driving home from Galway the other day and DEAR GOD! lots of people dont have their lights aligned!
    but what i find worse is people who just leave their Highbeams on, they dont seem to care about other drivers.

Had a blond lady in a Ford Puma, on the motorway, sit behind me with her full beams on :/

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

We haven't had a fog light rant in a while wonder how long this thread will last:D

But yeah seriously lights on are super important this time of year. But here's a problem why is this thread here most people on this forum are driving enthuasists (sp) and I'm sure most of us know to do this simple task

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I find I see better if I drive with full beams on all of the time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

endplate wrote: »
    ... But here's a problem why is this thread here most people on this forum are driving enthuasists (sp) and I'm sure most of us know to do this simple task

You try and stick it in after hours or some other forum ...it'll be moved back to motors in no time at all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

REAR FOGS!!!
    REAR FOGS!!!
    REAR FOGS!!!
    REAR FOGS!!!
    REAR FOGS!!!

If I haven't run into the back of you - I can obviously see you! Kindly turn them off!!

I suppose I am assuming that they know how to use the rearview mirror which might explain the foglight issue to begin with:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

peasant wrote: »
    You try and stick it in after hours or some other forum ...it'll be moved back to motors in no time at all :D

It could be amended into the no chatter about <gone> thread so everybody on boards can be told to switch on their lights (not fogs of course):D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

endplate wrote: »
    We haven't had a fog light rant in a while wonder how long this thread will last:D

And we won't now - see the charter. No more mentioning of fog lights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

But legislation is being brought in which will result in a Fine should you be driving with Fog lights when theres no fog.

Tis a fairly important arguement.
    They are more noticable on Spec'd cars, but Passats, Micra's and Landrovers (yuck) with them on are just retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Message to trailer towers: you are not exempt from the lighting regulations. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of morons I see driving with defective lights on trailers. Some of these eejits seem to think that if the lights of the towing vehicle are partly visible that they don't need anything on the trailer itself. The "ah sure it'll do sure can't they see me lights, I'm grand" peasant mentality

Saw one muppet on the Mullingar bypass last night towing one of those portable flashing signs you see at roadworks. Not a light on it anywhere. It was fully blocking the lights on the towing vehicle too so you could not see it at all. I saw two cars nearly run into the back of it

And don't get me started on tractors - defective lights, lights caked in muck, rearward facing white work lights used in place of (broken) red tailights. If I see a tractor with working lights being used correctly I feel like getting out and congratulating the driver

BrianD3 wrote: »
    ... peasant mentality ...

say what ? :D:D:D

fully agree with your post, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

+10000000000000000000

I cycle along this new road and the street lights have yet to go on, but all the cras drive with full beam. i've came off the bike last night when one car had been driving with dipped lights then just as i was in his beam line he threw on the fulls blinded me and off i went from vering straight into the curb...

and i'm covered in flashy lights and reflectors so he only did it coz a he was an ass or wasnt watching the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Front foglights are harmless decoration - never blinding - better than eejits driving on parking lights.

...rear foglights - now that's a different story.

blackbox wrote: »
    Front foglights are harmless decoration

err ...no, they're not.

They create a very intense, wide pool of light right in front of the vehicle.

Pretty useless for the driver in everything but foggy conditions, but very irritating to oncoming traffic, especially so when reflected from a damp road surface.
    It may not blind directly (if the fogs aren't misaligned like so many seem to be) but it creates an additional glare to which your eyes have to adjust, reducing your vision on your own side of the road where it counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 hi-fi

People put on their rear fog lights when you're tail-gating them so back off!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Message to trailer towers: you are not exempt from the lighting regulations. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of morons I see driving with defective lights on trailers.
    Oh yes!
    One very dark, wet winter night I was cruising happily along the N6 in Galway - nice wide, open road, no traffic - doing 60mph. A car was coming the other way, so I'd dipped my lights and as I went back to full beam, I suddenly saw a horse box right in front of me. :eek: A tractor doing about 20mph was pulling it and it had not a single light, while the sh!t-covered tractor lights were completely obscured. :rolleyes:

I just managed to brake in time, but it's the most scary, unexpected thing that's ever happened to me driving a car. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

hi-fi wrote: »

Or they're just idiots that think it looks cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Also:
    • Dip your full beam when you're following someone!
    One of my pet hates is when you overtake on a long straight stretch, then once you're about 15 yards past, the eejit thinks it's OK to put on their high beam again so you're blinded from behind! :mad:

Here's a clue: if you can see the rear lights of the car in front, they will certainly be annoyed by your full beams in their mirrors! And besides, the car in front of you on a straight road is a good indicator of where the road is, so high beam is not necessary to see where you're going... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

And don't put on the full beam until you've actually passed the other car. That last-minute blinding blast is very distracting, annoying and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What about those gimps who drive slowly along on their dips all the time?
    They make overtaking them on an unfamiliar road a real b1tch, unless you use your own headlights from behind/beside them, in which case of course, you're the a55hole for blinding them in their mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What with the (relatively) recent "fad" of having headlights on "park" with the front foglights on full? Even late at night on dark roads? :mad:

+1 for the comments regarding idiots driving behind you with full beams on - had one behind me in the Phonexix Park last night, and another on the N3 this evening who (despite lots of flashing by oncoming traffic) REFUSED to turn them off. Clowns!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Rovi wrote: »
    What about those gimps who drive slowly along on their dips all the time?
    They make overtaking them on an unfamiliar road a real b1tch, unless you use your own headlights from behind/beside them, in which case of course, you're the a55hole for blinding them in their mirrors.
    Good point. Also, if somone drives on dips all the time and is coming up to a corner they are much less visible to oncoming traffic approaching the corner from the other direction. If both drivers use main beams the glare from them will often alert the drivers to each others presence well in advance of the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

hi-fi wrote: »

Idiots who leave their fogs on get the full beam treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

blackbox wrote: »
    Front foglights are harmless decoration - never blinding

I find them very distracting when behind me, the combo of dipped heads + front fogs in my mirror can be blinding especially if it is a suv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

tuxy wrote: »
    I find them very distracting when behind me, the combo of dipped heads + front fogs in my mirror can be blinding especially if it is a suv.
    Can't argue with that tuxy....just having an SUV behind me is distracting irrespective of the lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

adjust the beam down when towing a heavy trailer

I don't tow trailers, but the angle of my headlights are easily adjustable, so what exactly should I look for? At the moment I just ensure the "top" of the dipped beam is no higher than horizontal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hope im not breaking the charter by asking, but I have rarley came across a car with fog lights on that have bothered me. Very rarley, to me they are just like the dipped head lights. Full beams - that bothers me. Rear foglights - that bothers me. Why? Its much brighter.

I find a huge difference when driving with my fog lights on on dark roads. I can see it much better. Its why I use them. Didnt realise so many were bothered by it!

A guard told me a while back tho, its illegal for those lights to be on. He agreed that half of the country have them on - its simply impossible to enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I agree with proper use of lights fog & dips ect. I am just making the point that a lot of people sit in traffic with the foot on the brake with 3 bright red light blasting in peoples face behind them. If your waiting for the green light please please please use hand brake for the 1 to few minutes your waiting. Also helps stop mulity car rear ending when someone crashes into the back of you. When are we going to get people lessons in driving in this country.

Advertisement