Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't Access certain sites through a Linksys WRT54GS

• 21-11-2007 12:06pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Broadband from BT through a wired modem/router (Voyager 210). This is connected to a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router.

Most things work normally but some sites I can't access for some reason.

I have tried updating the firmware, deleting cookies, and disabling the firewall but with no luck.

Examples of sites I can't access are:

http://www.betfair.com/
    http://www.gohop.ie/

As I said before the vast majority of sties work fine.

The wireless router is setup using mainly default settings with with ports forwarded for utorrent.

If I plug the laptop straight into the wired router I can access the above sites without any problem.

When I ping the above sites the message comes back could not resolve host name.

Has anyone come across any similar problems or have any ideas for a solution?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How is the WRT54GS set for it's DNS values? Is it acting as DNS relay, or are you querying the DNS servers directly?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Spear wrote: »
    How is the WRT54GS set for it's DNS values? Is it acting as DNS relay, or are you querying the DNS servers directly?

I'm not sure what you mean here.

DHCP is enabled and DDNS is disabled.

On the status page I can see a DNS1 and DNS 2 address.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

adrian522 wrote: »

On the status page I can see a DNS1 and DNS 2 address.

Are those your ISP's, or do they point to the modem as a DNS relay. How are they set on the PC?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm not sure, i'll check this, this evening when I get home.

How should it be setup?

Hi, I had the connection set up to use a static ip address. This seems to have caused the problem as when I set it to acquire addreess automatically all works well. Though this will cause problems when trying to port forward. MAybe i should just buy a wireless modem router combo to make things less complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hi, I had the connection set up to use a static ip address. This seems to have caused the problem as when I set it to acquire addreess automatically all works well. Though this will cause problems when trying to port forward. MAybe i should just buy a wireless modem router combo to make things less complicated.
    That's good to hear. When it was assigned a static IP address, were there any IP addresses entered for DNS servers? If not, this was probably the cause. As you've discovered, your PC finds out all these details when receiving an IP address by DHCP. Entering the IP address of your router as the your primary DNS server should have done the trick also [provided they were correct in the router's settings in the first place].

Regarding buying some combo, don't waste your money if this sorts out your problems.

ethernet wrote: »
    That's good to hear. When it was assigned a static IP address, were there any IP addresses entered for DNS servers? If not, this was probably the cause. As you've discovered, your PC finds out all these details when receiving an IP address by DHCP. Entering the IP address of your router as the your primary DNS server should have done the trick also [provided they were correct in the router's settings in the first place].

Regarding buying some combo, don't waste your money if this sorts out your problems.

Ok, I've now kept the static address but put the DNS server (primary) to be what is reported on the router status page.

It had been 192.168.1.1 whuich was probably causing the problem.

Thank you for all your help,

Adrian :)

Advertisement