Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you parents financially support you?

• 21-11-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just wondering how many people here have received financial support (or continue to?), and to what degree, from their parents.
    I guess it varies from some parents only supporting their kids up to college, then kicking them out and letting them fed for themselves.
    Others (a mate I know) had the luxury of his parents buying him an apartment in Dublin for college, and he able to use that to get well on the property ladder - he did work through college though.
    Others have had cars bought for them... and some houses / apartments that they could clearly not get on their own.
    PErsonally, I only got bits and pieces through college and I'm very grateful. I'm still a bit away from buying my own place, but I'd never expect my parents to 'help me out'. Would you, or have they?

I know the poll doesn't have all options or scenarios, so post any more.

How do your parents financially support you? 243 votes

Once 18 / in college, I got squat!! It's me Vs World!
    0% 0 votes
    Once 18/ in college, they helped me out somewhat
    21% 53 votes
    Once 18/ in college, I got nearly all paid for (fees / rent)
    17% 43 votes
    After college / in own job, Then I got nowt
    18% 46 votes
    After college / in own job, I get the odd handout
    24% 59 votes
    After college / in own job, they still give me loads (help with new car/house)!
    12% 31 votes
    All I got was an Atari Jaguar...
    4% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

parents pay college fee's and books etc., but everything else is my own. i pay rent to my mum too.

i'm considering moving out next year into my own place, and they said they'll help me with the deposit there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

if i had gone straight to college after school they would have helped me out a bit.but not that much.

but i skipped college and went straight into the big, bad, working world.and now i support myself completely.still living at home and i pay rent and pay for my own food and sh1t.and when i go to college next year i wont need their assistance because i'll have plenty of money after this year of working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I earn more than both my parents combined so I actually give them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I always gave up a % of my wages to my parents. Didn't get pocket money after the age of 16 I think.
    College I had to go to galway for, so they (&my grandparents insisted on paying some) paid my rent and I paid for books/trips/etc down there.
    Back home about 2 years now, I pay up a % of my wages. I have a car & I borrowed some money off them for it (instead of the CU) and I'm paying it back in installments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I live at home but I pay rent, would probably pay more if I were to live elsewhere though due to the additional expense of bills and food so I'd say that, even though I don't get monetary handouts (bar Xmas and birthday) my parents still financially support me.
    At least I am saving so eventually they'll be rid of me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I didn't get pocket money after age 16, as I had a job. There may have been a few exceptions like when I was out of work from an accident but that was just for a short time. Other than that since age 16 I bought any school books etc, college books, and stuff like that. Also I've handed up a % of my wages since I started working, obviously not when I moved out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cormster

farohar wrote: »
    I live at home but I pay rent, would probably pay more if I were to live elsewhere though due to the additional expense of bills and food so I'd say that, even though I don't get monetary handouts (bar Xmas and birthday) my parents still financially support me.
    At least I am saving so eventually they'll be rid of me.:)

I'm in the same boat - live at home, pay rent but its considerably less than would be paid if I was living elsewhere. I am a bit spoilt in that the Mammy leaves a dinner out for me, does the washing and such. I assage the guilt over this by helping the father out in his business and doing any household chores when requested with less whinging and b*tching than would usually occur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I've always supported myself, even college fees.

They would have helped me but put simple, they just didn't have it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nothing really since 18 other than a few meals and roof over my head when visiting them, so about the same as before 18 really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Mordeth?????????????????????
    Tell us......................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I've been working since I was 16 also and earning my own money so never got anything but a roof over my head since then. I'm out living with the missus a while now so not even that anymore. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

working since 15 and paid rent at 30% of earnings until I moved out when I was 20. since then I've been helping them out rather than the other way around. Least I can do after they provided for me and brought me up with the right values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I lived at home for college and my parents gave me an allowance and I worked. As soon as college finished I had to pay rent, regardless of whether I was working or not! Four years was all we got! I don't live at home now and I don't get a penny from my parents. I actually earn about the same as my mum I think although obviously not near what my dad does (damn him and his years of experience!)

I'm going away for Christmas and as a present my mum and dad paid for my flights and my boyfriends. Otherwise, I'm on my own. I prefer it that way too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

working since i was 15, was made hand up 30% a week.

Lived at home and paid my 30%, paid myself through college then moved out when i got permanent work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

When I turned 18 mammy thought me how hard life was and kicked me out of the house she said it would help my growth after I got off the heroin she was right.

No wait there was no heroin she was right alll along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Working since I was fifteen, was the last of four children so money was more plentiful. Never had to pay "rent" to my parents, got plenty of money if I was short and so on. When I got to college, still working, parents moved way down the country and insisted on paying my rent and insurance while I was in college. I didn't argue. I did however look after all of the other living costs.

Working now, paying my own way, naturally, but if we go out for dinner, the old man will often pay and tell me to put my money back. He'll also throw any of us a few quid if we do a favour for him.

God bless being the youngest. Even my brothers used to pay for half my nights out just because I was a student and they weren't. I appreciate it all though, I'm not some ungrateful upstart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

just finished college, looking for a job and living at home.
    parents supported me through college, they figured with 40 hrs a week of lectures/labs and so on if i had to work my education would suffer.
    i still get pocket money now and got a car recently....but i do loads around the house including all the cooking+shopping.

feel kinda spoilt looking at the people here who have to pay rent etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I might get a hello from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Whenever I lived at home when I was in college, I didn't pay keep.

If I ever lived at home when I was not studying, I would always pay keep to them.

They helped me when they could (not often) as they didn't have the money, but I had no problem with working my way through college.

Since I started working, I was never supported in terms of my house, car or whatever, but they still insist of giving me a childhood-size Christmas present, selection box (!) and the 'we're paying for your pint' guff ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

As long as I was in college they paid all my rent and living costs and suchlike. When I got a job I didn't take any money off them, but I moved back in with them for a while, paying for food and bills but no rent, so that I could save up money to do another masters. Two months into it though and my savings are running low so I'm back to scrounging again. I figure I'll have enough opportunity to pay them back when they're older.. my ma has already earmarked the nursing home she wants and I'm an only child so there's plenty of forking out ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

With my parents we all got the same deal pretty much... When you're in college the parents pay your fees, first car insurance (named driver, not too bad), books, etc. I don't pay rent either. Once you're working full-time you pay rent to the 'rents and look after yourself.

When I had no job (while in college) they gave me money for lunch and so on..... Now that I'm working I pay for that and most other things (defo nights out).

I don't like taking money off them, even though they have ample funds... They're always good for a loan though, and I always pay them back. Likewise if they don't have cash and I do I don't have a problem giving it to them.

In general I have it pretty good and I try to pay them back whenever I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Can't answer poll as didn't go to college!! (As I'm sure many others didn't)

Worked straight away after school, lived at home, Rent Free for a few years, (I'd throw them a few bob though, if they got a massive phone bill because or me or anything like that) Then moved away with 4 month old baby on my own and yeah, they helped me out a good bit financially (even though I was working) for a year or so. Living back at home now, working, don't pay them Rent as am saving to build house (they'd rather I saved and paid off my debts and was able to make my own way in the world than take money off me for Rent) They don't ever give me money but small things like I only had to pay about 75% of mine and my daughters holiday this year as they forked out the rest, use their phone and internet free too and of course, eat their food (but that's all like payment for my wonderful presence around te house ;) ). They've been really soft on me actually! Probably why I'm absolutely sh1t with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

my parents pay college associated stuff, i pay for rent, bills, transport, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Don't live with my parents and am married. We both earn a fairly decent wage so together we are pretty well off. But my parents are very giving people, they enjoy showering us kids in gifts a lot. Pretty much every weekend my parents will drop over with some new clothes or fruit and sweets from M&S.

I've actually got to the point that I don't mention I need anything because I know they will get it for me and I feel like i'm taking advantage of them. I've also refused stuff from my parents before and they got insulted, as if I was too good to take presents from my parents. So I just say nothing now.

Its nice to have parents like this though that are always thinking about their children, and don't only reserve the giving of gifts to specified holidays. My parents have always lived fairly simple lives so I guess they just like to spread around all the extra money they have since the boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm 16 and I get €100 a month from my parents so that I don't get a job during the school year. Ironically it's supposed to be an exercise in financial independence.

I don't even need anywhere near that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

In my last year of college away from home..parents pay for my rent/my college fees/my food etc....hv promised them a good nursing home in return!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mimi3637

I live with my Dad and brother and we both pay rent to our dad, bills get split three ways and groceries are all shared. I'm the woman of the house so I get to boss them around and make them do chores and stuff.

College fees never came into the equation as my parents gave all their money to solicitors to get separated so it wasn't an option for me to go to college out of town.

My brother gave me his old car which was handy and I would never ever expect my dad to pay for my insurance or tax or anything. I wouldn't expect my dad to buy me a car either. I have a better value on things that I worked for myself. (I totally worked for my free car, I clean up after my brother allll the time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

in college living at home pay rent to them and cover everythin myself have two jobs to support me as well as college but it the right thing you need a bit of independence. if i was stuck thou they would help me out and vice versa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My parents paid for me through college (I went to a fee paying one). I did contribute whenever I could. The idea I think was for me to help them out at home when I finished and was earning. So what did I do? Well I fecked off to Australia of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I get rent support from the folkels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus some people here have the life of riley. I support myself and that's that. If for whatever reason i took a fiver off my ma then she'd be hounding me to pay her back.

I openly hate people who have **** handed to them on a plate. I once worked with a girl who had everything paid for her, her dad bought her a brand new car, paid for insurance and last i heard was planning on building her a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

I took all last year out, and saved up money to go back to college (Im 19). I got a couple of grand together from working Mondays-Saturdays for the past year and some extra jobs on the side. I live at home so I dont expect them to give me money, and if they did Id probably feel a bit guilty about it, its enough that Ive a bed and meals here. The when Im finished my first year in college next summer I'll go back and work for the summer and just save up hard again for next year...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

any summer jobs i had as a kid I had to hand 50% over for my keep. Had to buy own uniforms, school books and pay for school trips out of the rest. When I got to college at 18 I lived away from home and worked 2 jobs and paid my own way throughout, rent, books and living expenses. I didn't get a grant. Despite my father earning a very good salary as a company director, my mother had some warped ideas about teaching us financial independence.

I will get my own back tho, two words get me through..."nursing home".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Parents paid my rent during college and paid off some of my loan. When I finished college I lived at home and they heavily subsidised my living expenses by only charging me €40 a week rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My parents paid for everything college-related. I lived at home rent-free, etc. For my Post grad I have had to move away from home so my parents pay for rent/fees/food, etc. The only thing I have to pay for is my social life. (Oh, and the bus home!) I've bought most of my clothes since I was 16, although my mum still buys the odd thing.

My parents paid for my 1st year of insurance, after that I had to pay for it myself, but my mum worked it out so I pay her 5 euro a week for it. (My insurance is dirt cheap!)

My mum is the mother of all savers! (You should see her budget! It's amazing!) The woman knows exactly how much money she has for everything, right down to St. Patrick's Day (meal out).

We're by no means well off, but because my mother keeps track of the money we all have a good life.

I haven't really thought about what will happen when I finish my post grad. I know I'll go home for the summer, and try to get a teaching job for September, but I don't know if my parents will expect rent, etc.

God, reading that I now realise that I have a cushy life! I feel bad now for all the times I've given my parents grief!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yeah my parents pay my college fees, living costs, car insurance and rent. I work for the first half of the Summer to pay for things like interrailing or travelling in the second half. I owe my parents a lot, and like someone else has mentioned, being the youngest son probably adds to their generosity.
    Obviously I do regular chores and things, and study hard for college, so am not taking them for a ride or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I still live at home and get €50 a week for bus fares and food while I'm in college. I try to save about €20 of that a week because I'm not working at the moment.

Whatever money I have of my own is going towards christmas presents at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

ever since i got my first job, ive been on my own! that was when i was 15! i pay for everything i want. they help me out if im stuck. grant pays fees etc. id ont pay rent as im rarely there and i get my own food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

My parents bought me a car, i don't pay rent they buy me food and clothes and give me 100bills a week to get locked with.

Im in college but i don't go too often. I LOVE the celtic tiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I live at home but I work and pay for my food and such and will be booted out once I'm finished college. which is soon. Crap.

I did get a grant to go to college mind, although don't think I would have gone without the grant, but I don't really know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Shortly after turning 18 I was out on my own, working gigs, part-time teaching TKD, and now with a university scholarship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Paretns have always paid for my borther & I's college fees, they've set money aside as they decided to have children and brought us into the world, they feel it is their job to support us and would never see us stuck for money.

my brother now lives abroad and gets help if he needs it, they've payed for his masters. i bought my own books for my last course but they have said they will buy the books for my new course as they cost a bomb!!

I had my car bought for me (for my 21st), phone bill paid for, first year of tax & insurance paid for but everything else is up to me. when i work during the summer, i pay for my own things, my new glasses, contacts, dr's appointments, dentist, opticians etc, gym fees, petrol, social life. I've not been working since August and haven't once asked my parents for money, i somehow tend to make my money last for months even though i have a fairly good social life.

In return for them paying my fees etc, I help alot around the house and do what they ask of me which is to try my best in college and to enjoy my younger years to the max.

I hate seeming that I rely on my parents for money but appreciate so much all they do for me as I see some of my friends having to pay their own college fees etc.And i always make damn sure that they know how much i appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

It's mad seeing some of the shambos in their mid to late 20s I grew up and palled with that are still the lad's man yet go home to mammy's every night, have their clothes washed, dinner made.....

sad really. so lazy and childish.

I moved out at 18, moved back at one point for a month while waiting on final agreement on snag etc on house but that was it. Certainly like my own space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Working since I was 22. They supported me through college and allowed me to live with them at cheaper rent until I got married. Then they gave me a site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Until you got married? why until you got married?

Sometimes.

I've been living out of home since I turned 19, and I've been working since I was 13, so I've hardly been stuck for money. But whenever I do get stuck, they do help me out. Though I really do hate asking for money, as I really feel bad for it. One of these days, when I earn enough, I'll buy them a holidays abroad or something.

I'm in college at the moment and still work to keep my rent paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Davidius wrote: »
    I'm 16 and I get €100 a month from my parents so that I don't get a job during the school year. Ironically it's supposed to be an exercise in financial independence.

I don't even need anywhere near that much.

that doesn't make any sense. there's nothing wrong with your parents giving you money but its not a lesson in financial indenpence by any stretch of the imagination

My parents supported me through college, something which I am very grateful to them for. I didn't receive the grant or any other financial assistance. Since I finished college I received nothing, although they had put money towards an SSIA for myself and my brother, which is obviously for a longterm item (i.e. a house!). I don't expect anything from them right now, and have offered to pay them rent, although they have refused. I owe them around €600 at the moment which I'll be paying them back this month and next.

Two of my siblings have bought houses, and they contributed towards the initial amount of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

My dad pays my college fees but that's about it. I've bought all my own books (law books are a killer!) and I buy my own food and the like even though I live at home. It's not that I have to, i just can. I work during the weekend. Except I was giving out last night though that I even buy my own toothpaste,I am only 19 after all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

There should really be another option in that poll for kids supporting parents on occasion, as in my case ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement