Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you parents financially support you?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just remembered what my dad says sometimes: Out the door at 24!

He tried changing it to 18 but I pointed out that it doesn't rhyme.

Poor man, I torture him by telling him I'm going to go back and live with him forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I paid for my own college fee's when it was the normal €850 but my dad paid for me when I had to repeat. I bought my own car but he paid for my insurance.

I work part-time for my dad and don't receive an actual set wage so I just get money if i'm ever stuck.

He also likes to invite me to the pub and fill me with booze for free. I don't like complaining so I just go along with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Until you got married? why until you got married?
    I just gave a summary of the things my parents did for me financially, when they could have forced me to leave home and fend for myself! I was basically being scabby and lived with them while saving for my wedding and building my house, then we moved into the house when we got married. Have I made myself a little better understood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Paretns have always paid for my borther & I's college fees, they've set money aside as they decided to have children and brought us into the world, they feel it is their job to support us and would never see us stuck for money.

Yeah, they decided to have "children" :rolleyes: At what stage do you stop being a child though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

My parents are dead.
    The OP is an insensitive person and should refrain from asking people questions about their parents, lest he upset someone.

I, for one, am sick and tired of people who don't think about us minorities when they start threads like this. It has to be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I worked part time since I was 16, so when I went to Uni, I lived at home rent free, but paid for everything else myself.
    And since then I have supported myself, and once I finished Uni started having to pay rent at home when I lived there - €50 a week when I last lived there in 2005.
    I have a friend who is 26, has always lived at home, working full time since she was 18.
    She doesn't have an ATM card, her pay gets paid directly into her bank account and has never been touched.
    Anytime she wants to go shopping/out for a night, her mother gives her money.
    She wants to go on holiday? Her parents pay for it - probably how she has manged to go to New York twice this year, Florida and Spain - all since last February.
    Although she did buy a brand new car - cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

My dad paid my college registration fee's. But everything else is down to me, food, drink, clothes and all that other necessary stuff to mould yourself into the well rounded individual. Oh and crack!! Lots of crack and light bulbs! Oh and you'll need the empty cylinder off a biro too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

briantwin wrote: »
    My dad paid my college registration fee's. But everything else is down to me, food, drink, clothes and all that other necessary stuff to mould yourself into the well rounded individual. Oh and crack!! Lots of crack and light bulbs! Oh and you'll need the empty cylinder off a biro too.

Yeah well rounded individual:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jay D wrote: »
    It's mad seeing some of the shambos in their mid to late 20s I grew up and palled with that are still the lad's man yet go home to mammy's every night, have their clothes washed, dinner made.....

sad really. so lazy and childish.

Yes disturbing. I was in a mates house once, he was around 25 at the time, took a pizza out of the oven still half frozen,- had never heard the term "preheat" before.

Another guy was totally convinced tumble driers ironed your clothes! moaning that the drier we go in a shared house didnt do it. Said "my mother put the clothes in mine and when I got them all she had to do is fold them"

I was washing my own clothes at 12, had no problems with it. Then me & the brother used to miss dinner on fridays & saturdays, and my mother just said "thats it, I am refusing to cook dinner for you on weekends", I think she thought we were going to go "oh no, please, we will be on time in future". We both said grand, and got pretty good at cooking.

The way house prices are it makes sense for people to stay home & save for a downpayment on a house. If they were out renting, their parents might get a lodger in for extra cash, and then be giving it to the kids since the rent is so high where they are. A lot of these parents are living in houses worth a fortune and renting second houses out to other peoples kids for a fortune.

If the houses were not so expensive and things like food were, you would have kids with cheap rent and high wages supporting the parents. Just basic sharing of wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

rubadub wrote: »
    Another guy was totally convinced tumble driers ironed your clothes! moaning that the drier we go in a shared house didnt do it. Said "my mother put the clothes in mine and when I got them all she had to do is fold them"
    I think that's actually true though... I'm no expert, but the heat does gets rid of any creases, and you just fold.

For a few weeks, I had no Iron, and used to iron my shirts with a hair-dryer and my free hand. It works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

im 19 now , started work when i was 14 and im still in the same job . once i started work i started to hand up money to my parents , went to college and done a plc course and my parents paid for that as i was the only one out of my family to go to college . and it was a fee of €155 so it wasnt too much and i would have actually paid for it myself . and when i have my own children once they start working they'll be doing the same as i done, my parents dont give me " pocket money" i dont need it i have a job so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

InFront wrote: »
    I think that's actually true though... I'm no expert, but the heat does gets rid of any creases, and you just fold.

For a few weeks, I had no Iron, and used to iron my shirts with a hair-dryer and my free hand. It works.
    As long as you don't leave clothes sitting in a washing machine or dryer for long after they're done then they shouldn't be creased, or noticeably creased at least.

But thinking that a dryer actually irons your clothes is a bit pathetic tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Well I may have left home at 19 but my folks have always helped me out when I need it. To the extent of helping me with the deposit for the first house we bought two years ago .. when both myself and husband were in our 40's.... but I have always paid them back.

During my early 20s when times got hard I always knew they would help me out, it was always a loan, but there was never high interest, or any major rush to pay it back.

My own younglad is 17 next birthday, and hopefully we will be able to bail him out when he may need it...

Isn't that what family is for??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

InFront wrote: »

If you just hang certain shirts e.g. on a shower rail they will dry fairly crease free. I dont bother ironing most of my clothes, waste of my energy and electrical energy- a mate of mine irons everything, even socks & boxer shorts!

This guy was convinced it clothes came out perfect, was wondering why people with tumble driers bothered with irons, his mother was going mental when she found out! all the years of unappreciated ironing work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

rubadub wrote: »
    The way house prices are it makes sense for people to stay home & save for a downpayment on a house. If they were out renting, their parents might get a lodger in for extra cash, and then be giving it to the kids since the rent is so high where they are. A lot of these parents are living in houses worth a fortune and renting second houses out to other peoples kids for a fortune.

If the houses were not so expensive and things like food were, you would have kids with cheap rent and high wages supporting the parents. Just basic sharing of wealth.
    I must stress it was equally difficult to buy a house when they were "cheap"! In 1995, I was on good wages but a large percentage of it was overtime, and that was not taken into account - you were only allowed 2.5 times your basic wage, plus you were required to have 10% of the purchase price saved up. Anyway, I was turned down for a £40,000 mortgage.
    So you had as many young people living with their parents then.
    Admittedly, those of us lucky enough to get mortgages then were the real winners of the Celtic Tiger - as the interest rates lowered so did our payments and a lot of us were able to pay off our mortgages.
    Terry wrote: »
    My parents are dead.
    The OP is an insensitive person and should refrain from asking people questions about their parents, lest he upset someone.

I, for one, am sick and tired of people who don't think about us minorities when they start threads like this. It has to be stopped.

Sorry for your losses, Terry. I'm in the same situation, but I wasn't offended by this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I recently returned to college as a mature student, i get the odd fifty quid from the parents every now and then. It comes in handy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

my parents moved to ireland when i was 18..i stayed here and went on teh dole while i repeated a leaving cert equiv. subject while on the dole...they paid for driving lessons and had me as a named driver on the car they had left here. other than that...on my own.

when i moved to ireland, lived at home for a while, paid a bit of board but was working full time so looked after myself really.

moved out nearly a year later, moved in with my boyfriend and didnt get any money off the folks at all for about two years.

im now 22 (23 in jan) and just after finishing my first year at college. we have to pay fees here in nz so i have a student loan and a living costs loan to pay the rent (both have to be paid back :(:( ) and i work casually when i can around a hectic college schedule. folks give me a bit of cash sometimes but the car i mentioned earlier is now in my name (i didnt buy it off them, just its in my name for ease) and i pay all to do with that. my partner,who i live with, helps out with making sure i dont starve cause he works full time.

my parents cant help out too much at the moment as they have me and my sister both at uni (she's worse off than me, by herself in england and getting mucked around with loans etc)..and my sister is going to be there a while LOL. my parents cant help us both so its on a case by case basis for want of a better term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Was in a situation where I moved house (or apartment, even) during the summer when I was unemployed. Parents gave me a bit of a dig out then for deposit etc. Felt terribly guilty but my dad insists I don't have to pay them back - and my parents are in no way loaded. I'm going to get them nice Christmas presents and generally spoil them for the holidays though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

i get a fixed amount and fund anything beyond it myself

• My parents live in the middle of nowhere, meaning I HAD to go away for college if I wanted to go, but they didn't see that as being their problem. I borrowed as much of a student loan as I could and they paid the rest of the expenses, which to be fair was a good bit (about 5000 euro/year). Myself and my 2 siblings are close in age, so all of us were in college together. Lived at home rent free during any summers I spent there and went on trips with my family for free while I was in college, that was pretty much it. Now I'm 22, just finished college and they don't support me at all. I just got a job 2 months ago and I'm paying all my rent, living expenses etc. If I did have an emergency they would try to help me (they're well off).

I thought I was a bit spoiled compared to most students in the UK (I'm from N.I) who have to work their way through college and take out huge bank loans on top of their regular loans but it seems to be normal in Ireland for Mammy and Daddy to take care of everything. When I came to Dublin to college was the first time I'd ever felt hard done by in any way compared to others. I find a lot of Irish students/young adults unbelievably spoiled and entitled. My boyfriend's sister gets 100 euro a week to go to college - while living at home. That's more than I got to live away, when I had food, bills, transport home, laundry etc etc to pay for (and most of my money was from loans!), and she still complains it isn't enough! It's just a whole different mentality. I think in the UK you're seen as an adult at 18, and anything your parents do for you after that is a nice bonus, as opposed to an obligation. Most people are expected to take out student loans unless their parents are ridiculously rich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

My parents got me a loan at the start of every college year, think it was 1000 for the first 2 years and 1500 for the second, it wasn't a lot when you spread it over 36 weeks but was great for setting myself up with new clothes, books every September. For 3 of my 4 years I worked at the weekends and I worked for 2 of the summers aswell. I also got money for my birthday and for Christmas. They helped me out for my J1 aswell and my mam went halves with me on my first car. ( I pay the insurance though and will be paying the tax when its due).

I had a job in a supermarket until August and lived off my savings until I got my first proper job recently.

I don't pay any rent or anything like that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I do get a lot of handouts:), everything was paid for by my folks...holidays, shopping, rent, bills(including the credit card) especially as a student. And even now that i am done with college i still get some holidays:) and handouts
    Have to send them on a world wide trip because they are the best!!

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I do get a lot of handouts:), everything was paid for by my folks...holidays, shopping, rent, bills(including the credit card) especially as a student. And even now that i am done with college i still get some holidays:) and handouts
    Have to send them on a world wide trip because they are the best!!
    You should get them to pay your visa fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

You should get them to pay your visa fees
    They would:D...
    That was another thread, now don't be a spoil sport. If you have nothing to contribute to this thread then don't post here:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Up until second year in college I got everything paid for, food, transport, nights out a few times a week, clothing etc. even though I'd been in various part-time jobs on a more or less constant basis since I was 15/16.

Now that I'm living outside of home I pay for everything myself. I get the very odd handout, for instance my mother just paid off a bunch of parking tickets I'd accumulated which was handy, but other than that I'm supporting myself.

Will be going back to college next year so will probably need a bit of help financially, given that I doubt I'll move home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

I'm working full time and live at home with my Mam, she doesnt ask for nay money from me for rent etc. however I will start forking over money after Xmas as my baby is due early next year and so there will be more household expenses. My car payments, insurance etc. I pay for myself but my mam has often thrown me money when she knows Im stuck, so I've no complaints. With regards to buying a house, I know my Mam would help me out if she could, but she just wouldnt have it to give, nor would I expect her to.

Working in a mortgage company, its shocking to see how many people have parents who are happy to hand them 30 or 40 grand towards the cost of buying a house. I cant believe that people actually have that kind of money to give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

They don't support me but my dad pays my phone bill and gives me €200 to get my by....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

I was washing my own clothes at 4. Cooking my own meals since 9. I'm a pretty awesome person.

hotnipples wrote: »
    I was washing my own clothes at 4. Cooking my own meals since 9. I'm a pretty awesome person.
    Yeah? Well i gave birth to myself.

Advertisement