Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

USA Hire car stolen

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

you need to contact your card company, notify them that no payments are to be made against your old card unless you contact them first, name a particular company or person, they will ask you to give them the name of a particular company or person in writing, i needed to do this two months ago and it has worked to perfection, this should ease your mind somewhat,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Surely a CC company would decline a 27K charge if you did not have a limit that high?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dazcon

When I cancelled my card I told the card company to decline any further charges from america. They also said they had no further outstanding authorizations against my card as the hire company had already used what they had for a small charge (sat nav hire I think).
    My credit limit was very high so I reduced it substantially in case anything like this happens again.
    I asked how they would go about getting the money from me :

1 Credit card . As that is used as contract.
    2 My own car insurance ( which I know wont cover me.)
    3 The courts.Which is enforcable in ireland.

Glad I dont have to find out it works !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'm glad it worked out well for you, I'd say you have had a horrible few weeks wondering about it !

Thanks for the info PRND, I think I will be a bit more acreful about who I use my card with !!

I didn't realise there could be a recurring debt with a CC !

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

Same as above. That's pretty scary stuff to think that your card can be used after you cancel it. I will be more careful about mine too;)

Chevy RV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have been renting cars in loads of airports around the world, and what the OP experienced is typical of some eastern European airports. Prague for instance has a communal car return lot where you hand the car and all the paperwork over to an airport employee. You then go back the rental counter and settle up. By contrast in the USA the car rental places are normally off site and you return directly to the rental company's compound and the rental company employee issues a receipt there and then.

I would have reckoned that the hire company in the OP's case was on a hiding to nothing from the start. It could have happened very easily to any one. I would say that there was negligence on the rental company's part as an unauthorised person got into the compound. This could have been easily foreseen that such a person could get in and they should have taken steps to prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dazcon

I was fairly sure it had to be their fault for not ensuring the security of their own compound , but that didnt stop me from loosing sleep until I was offically told I was off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Great news all round.

Now go to bed and some shuteye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Excellent news, next time make sure you get a receipt, the officals guys carry portable printing/scanning devices that scan the rental agreement and print your receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Dazcon wrote: »
    I was fairly sure it had to be their fault for not ensuring the security of their own compound , but that didnt stop me from loosing sleep until I was offically told I was off the hook.

Now you can sue them for emotional distress :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement