Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Present for my Dad

Options
  • 21-11-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm looking for a good present for my Dad for Christmas. He's fun loving, but would like something practical and likes pointless gadgets :p He cycles a lot and is very into politics and histyory though I would like to avoid getting him a book as I seem to buy him one every year. Really I'd like to get him something he would not think of himself! Oh yes, he is also studying Philosophy in college so maybe something to do with that!

Budget...I'm not so sure, I don't mind splashing out a bit, so long as it's not really obviously expensive as then he's probably feel a bit guilty :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention, he also loves to cook and bake so maybe a nifty kitchen gadget would be right up his alley!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Does he like music or sports? How about a concert ticket or sports event ticket? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

If he likes to cook you could buy him a one day gourmet cookery course. There are loads available. Someone I know did one and loved it. And then you can eat all the nice things he learns to make.Here's one-
    http://www.greatdaysout.ie/pp/Wine_and_Dine/Cookery_Course/Ballyknocken_Cookery_Course_and_Passport.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

buy him a stripper

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

What about an apron with a pic of him on it? And some text or something that says "I'm too good a cook for you" or something like that.

They do them on www.printdigital4u.ie, irish based so you will have it before christmas :D (always a bonus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I think this may tick all the boxes!!

<Removed>

c - 13: mcaul i'm sure I warned you about pimping your site here before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Thanks for the help everyone! I eventually got him the new Eamonn DeValera biography, "discovering Dev" or something like that after I heard him raving about how fantastic it looked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Pimpimg is trying to advertise a product without permission or request.

I simply suggested a product which i stock that suited the request made by the OP. As a frequent advertiser and sponsor of boads & boards events, and as an online gift store I think I am both qualified & entitled I think to suggest suitable items for people who ask for such on this discussion forum. - Or maybe I simply stop posting and stop support of boards??????

And in addition i do not and never have blatantly marketed any of the 1300 products we stock unless a relevant request / post has been made already by a poster... surely this is what a forum is for????
    mcaul wrote: »
    I think this may tick all the boxes!!

<Removed>

c - 13: mcaul i'm sure I warned you about pimping your site here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Okay, admittedly pimping may have been a strong word to use but at the end of the day you are advertising your own commercial site.

Yes, a question was asked, and yes you may supply the product but it is still advertising.

If you take issue to my decisions then please either take the issue to feedback or PM an Admin. If they over rule my decision then I have no hesitation in both reinstating your links and giving you a full public apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Saw a great book in Eason's and Dubray - something along the lines of "Greatest Speeches in History" or something. Great read, comes with a CD of the audio of the most recent ones. Black cover, red/white headings, Martin Luther King on the front I believe, easy find it.

I bought my Dad the Encyclopædia of Gaelic Football and Hurling, was delighted to find it. He's not the kind of gent that would sit and read Mick O'Dwyer's autobio all the way through. He only made it halfway through Pat Spillane's book, and I think that was out of the obligation he felt:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

you mention gadgets. I got my father a really good torch. Too late to buy online now though, but it was really high power and tiny.

you also mention cycling. This shop is up the north so you are still in time for delivery, if you buy enough, around €40-50 you get free 24hr courier, otherwise it is still free but takes 2-3 days. They only stock really good quality stuff.

these are amazing gloves I got, and can be used for other stuff rather than cycling.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8996

or pick cheaper from here
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=224&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC

loads of cycling stuff there like balaclavas, hats and other thermal wintery stuff.

The other old reliable I get is resturaunt vouchers, as they will always be used and never unwanted.

Also got him a fancy wine bottle opener as he has bad wrists from arthritis

• Advertisement
Advertisement