Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken & Pasta in Chilli and Brandy Pepper Sauce

• 21-11-2007 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I was experimenting last night and made this.
    Ingrediants:
    2 Chicken fillets
    Pepperoni slices
    Streaky Bacon
    Red, Green, Yellow Peppers
    Onion
    Pasta
    Tub of cream
    Olive oil
    shot of brandy
    Peppercorns and Crackblack pepper
    Crushed dried chilli
    Butter
    Beef Stock

Sauce:
    I put some oil and butter in a saucepan on full heat and added the peppercorns, crack black pepper and chilli let this heat for 1 minute then I added the brandy, beef stock and cream stirring well and reduced the heat to simmer.

I sliced the chicken, pepperoni, streaky bacon, peppers and onion into thin slices I fried the chicken, pepperoni and bacon in some mild olive oil for 3-4 mins then added the peppers and onion and turned the heat down to simmer.

The Pasta was cooked in boiling water as per the packet instructions. (Normally make my own but hadnt the time last night)

When all was cooked I added to a large bowl and mixed all together. It was very nice and something I will cook again. I am having the cold left overs for lunch.

Anyone like the sound of that or done anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Alcohol, stock and cream is a good sauce base all right. Brandy would be very rich, white wine a little sweeter.

Based on the way you worked, to make the sauce I might have fried off onion and peppers gently in the oil and butter until soft/transluscent. Then add pepper and chili (and garlic, if using, always good in a cream sauce). Then throw over the alcohol - brandy or white wine - and let some of the alcohol cook off, so you're left with the flavour, not the rough edges. Then add the stock and allow to simmer so the flavours all combine. Add the cream last, possibly using a teaspoon of cornflour to thicken it. Reduce the heat and allow that to simmer to cook all the flavours through (and cook the flour, if using).

I have no problem frying off meat separately, as I find that sliced chicken breasts can often become very dry if they're sealed at the start of a dish and then slog their way through as part of the rest of the cooking. I'd rather slice them very finely and flash fry them in the pan I'll be using at the start, so they're cooked, then take them off the heat and let them rest to one side, make the sauce up in the same pan, then return them to the pan for the last "thickening" stage of cooking to ensure they're heated through.

Did using the pepperoni bring a lot of salt to the dish?

Advertisement