Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Television from Argos

Options
  • 21-11-2007 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Bought a cheapo LCD in Argos, after about a year the colour went all funny and is completely unwatchable. Sent it off to be repaired but the bloke wanted e400. Got it back from him and now the TV won't even turn on, its completely freaked. What are the chances of getting a new one of Argos, or at least my money back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have the receipt still? Did you get extra warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chief_stains

Receipt yes, but it's out of the warranty. Should that matter. Surely, regardless of the length of the warranty, you would resonably expect a TV to last longer than 12 months without ever working again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If it's out of warranty, then there's nothing that can be done really other than fork out to have it repaired. One year is a bit silly for a warranty on a TV, but I guess that's why they're cheap in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Receipt yes, but it's out of the warranty. Should that matter. Surely, regardless of the length of the warranty, you would resonably expect a TV to last longer than 12 months without ever working again.

Hi

Yes agree with you, contact Consumer Connect they can guide on what to do.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

penexpers wrote: »
    If it's out of warranty, then there's nothing that can be done really other than fork out to have it repaired. One year is a bit silly for a warranty on a TV, but I guess that's why they're cheap in the first place.
    I thought all electrical goods sold in ireland had a minimum 2 year statutory warranty - I remember it being discussed previously with regards to the XBOX 360.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭chief_stains

thanks for the replies, off to Argos now. I'll let ye know how I get on...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Argos wont do anything if its outside of the year, and also you probably voided your warranty by getting someone to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Was listening to the consumer guy on Ray D'Arcy show the other day and he was saying that under EU consumer law the warranty period is 2 years. You may have to deal with the manufacturer to get this though as I'm not sure if the shop has to do anything, but you certainly have 2 years on it. The focus of the show the other day was how extended warranties are crap and unnecessary.

As Nightwish says, you may have invalidated the warranty by getting someone to look at it. If it was opened up by someone not approved by the manufacturer then you almost certainly have.

Advertisement