Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasty Falls/Bangs/Crashes

Options
  • 21-11-2007 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Would people care to share their nasty fall/bang/crash experience(s)??? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Was heading to a footie match (via a park). Was on the path and diverted onto the grass to avoid two nuns (as you do). There was a hole in the grass that I did not see, end result me over the handles and several bumps. Thought I was OK and headed home and was about to have a shower when I noticed my right knee (save you the details but lets say I went straight to A&E)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

shapez wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Would people care to share their nasty fall/bang/crash experience(s)??? :D

no way. tempting fate. this thread is some bad juju. the rest of you are welcome to share though :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

i got 'fake' knocked down on my cycle to work one morning a couple of months back (as in the car didnt hit me, but i still came off the bike). Flying down through kimmage between the kerb and a line of traffic, plenty of room, when suddenly a micra pulled quickly to the left out of the nice orderly line (right up against the kerb, and just stopped). i went to brake, no time, went to mount the footpath but kerb too high from that angle/speed. Hit the kerb and fell off. Lights went green as i was picking myself up, and the micra drove off. He hadnt stopped to let anyone out or anything.

So i catch up to the guy in traffic 2 sets of lights later. he see's me coming up on his drivers side and rolls down the window. "oh my god im so sorry, did i hit you back there?" Red mist descends and i go mental at him. his explanation was there was a truck coming up the other side of the road and he was worried it was going to clip his mirror. I called him all the names under the sun and shouted all about leaving the scene of an accident. Granted i was fine, but the pr1ck knew what had happened and wasnt even sure if he hit me or not and just drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Last Christmas eve was out for a spin and coming down Killiney Hill about 30mph. Given that it was winter, the road was pretty muckey and grimey, and needless to say as I came around a bend my back wheel slipped and I landed on my face. (Check it out, it's pretty hot isn't it. Naturally, the first thing I would do upon getting home would be to take a picture. Naturally.) I lay on the road until a car came along, and the woman was insistent to drive me home, but me being the big man, insisted I could cycle home. Until I picked up the wreck of my bike, that is. Then I saw my face in her mirror. Wasn't pretty. But the upside was that seeing as it was Christmas Eve, I was in and out of A and E after only 3 and a half hours. Spent Christmas day in bed though and couldn't eat or drink.

Moral of the story: Killiney Hill is evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

niceonetom wrote: »
    no way. tempting fate. this thread is some bad juju. the rest of you are welcome to share though :D.

just what i was thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

wowy wrote: »
    Last Christmas eve was out for a spin and coming down Killiney Hill about 30mph. Given that it was winter, the road was pretty muckey and grimey, and needless to say as I came around a bend my back wheel slipped and I landed on my face. (Check it out, it's pretty hot isn't it. Naturally, the first thing I would do upon getting home would be to take a picture. Naturally.) I lay on the road until a car came along, and the woman was insistent to drive me home, but me being the big man, insisted I could cycle home. Until I picked up the wreck of my bike, that is. Then I saw my face in her mirror. Wasn't pretty. But the upside was that seeing as it was Christmas Eve, I was in and out of A and E after only 3 and a half hours. Spent Christmas day in bed though and couldn't eat or drink.

Moral of the story: Killiney Hill is evil.

Jesus H. Christ!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

Cycling along at about 35-40kph by Bushy Park, my friend who was cycling in frond dropped a football he had, and naturally, I went to kick it off the road(without stopping, stupid thing to do I know) anyway i didn't kick it hard enough and it rolled right into my path. By the time I'd pulled the brakes, the front wheel was already over the ball and at that stage I knew I was gonna come off.

I flipped over the bars, I can only remember an image of the sky with my bike in front of me. I was told I did a full 360 flip and landed face down. Someone who had seen me from their house came out and offered me a lift home, I cycled back ok though. I still have scars on my back, knee and elbow but at the time all i could do was laugh.

The worst thing was I had just got a new wheel a few days and I destroyed that(and broke the gear shifter and tore the saddle) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

wowy wrote: »

Poor woman must have thought she was being attacked by a zombie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I was skidding on some grass late at night down on Sandymount strand and my front wheel hit a hole in the ground and whoopdidoo I went head over heels! Didn't actually do any damage though, besides a bruised ego..

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Cycling along at about 35-40kph by Bushy Park, my friend who was cycling in frond dropped a football he had, and naturally, I went to kick it off the road(without stopping, stupid thing to do I know) anyway i didn't kick it hard enough and it rolled right into my path. By the time I'd pulled the brakes, the front wheel was already over the ball and at that stage I knew I was gonna come off.

I flipped over the bars, I can only remember an image of the sky with my bike in front of me. I was told I did a full 360 flip and landed face down. Someone who had seen me from their house came out and offered me a lift home, I cycled back ok though. I still have scars on my back, knee and elbow but at the time all i could do was laugh.

The worst thing was I had just got a new wheel a few days and I destroyed that(and broke the gear shifter and tore the saddle) :rolleyes:

I actually also did something like that years ago when I was 9. I was hanging out with an old friend on the nearby cul de sac, I was on my bike, and they were messing just kicking a ball at me. Anyway, one of them had a bad aim (or else a really good aim!), and it got lodged under my front wheel, and I went over. Tore all the skin off the right side of my face. Wasn't as bad as the above damage to my face, it was basically just a really bad graze, but really bloody hurt. The Brother in school blessed it a few days later, which I thought was a bad strange.

Perhaps I should give up cycling. It doesn't seem to like my face. Maybe I should just wear a full-face helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I was starting out on the London to Brighton cycle a few years back with a friend. He had gone ahead of me in the first few miles, so I decided to overtake a large bunch of cyclists on a straight stretch to catch up.
    There was a gap in the traffic (this was still in London city) so I moved out to the edge, stood up to power down on the pedals.
    The chain slips and all my body weight goes down faster than expected. More weight went on the right side of the handle bar and so my bars spun about 180 degrees to bring me to an abrupt stop. I piled into the tarmac with limbs wrapped up in the wreckage.

Luckily I wasn't in the middle of the other cyclists or it would have been some pileup!

After 15 minutes of patching up my legs and arms (I recall a female flasher standing near me at that point - brightened up my day!), I got back up on the bike to cycle the remaining 60+ miles.

I made sure my bike was serviced for the following year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Was going to play football, sunday morning and the ground was wet and my road was littered with leaves. Went round the corner too fast and the bike slid out from under me. My left arm and leg were badly cut and I managed to totally destroy my watch, the bike wasn't too bad though and I didn't land on my head!

My first fall, made me a bit shaky about corners in winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

About 7 years ago when the Loughlinstown road was being widened I was cycling along and as the road was getting a bit ragged I decided to switch to the old bit of footpath. In order to get there I went through a patch of long grass which unfortunately contained a tree stump in the undergrowth which I saw far too late. Next thing I know I'm picking myself off the ground after going over the handlebars.The first scary thing was that I had landed on one side of a jagged piece of wall while my bike managed to make it's way to the other side. I think the realisation that it could have been so much worse led to some sort of shock kicking in, the second scary thing was my vision going black and white (not greyscale), then negative black and white before finally just disappearing for a minute or two before returning to normal. I had no option but to just sit on the afore-mentioned piece of wall during this time.

After giving the mother a bell and getting a sugary drink inside me it was off to A&E where both my palms being ripped up and a gash on my right side prompted the nurse to make jokes about stigmata. Any questions I asked about my vision going were shrugged off, mainly as I hadn't hit my head.

Glad to say that was my only major incident on my bike, a few other minor slips but nothing noteworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

1985 - 45mph descent and a dog crossed the road. My evasive action matched his. Multiple cuts and bruises - no breakages. 12 months off the road.

1999 - 25mph into the side of the bonnet of a car typing to pull out of a side road before I reached him. Over the bonnet - again no breakages but bike and car were nicely damaged.

I have had multiple minor incidents - too many to mention everything.

Funniest: decsending a very long hill last month and a guy launches an opened toilet roll from driver side as he passes. Over car, hop, hop and gets stuck between front wheel and chainset. You could not plan that if you tried.

Also in the last month, cycled straight into unmarked wet concrete on a path. left a nice message in the concrete fot those that left it unmarked. I should have been a stunt man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I was a little bit over enthusiastic when out for an easy new years day spin in woods in waterford a few years ago, hit a mud ramp at about twice the safe speed and woke up in hospital three hours later, on catching up my intrepid companions (two drunk/hung over, one still drunk due to his JD filled water bottle) found me face down in a pool of blood, with a well peeled face and bone showing through literally skinned knuckles. After they had decided that I was not really dead and passing around the "special" water bottle for the shock (theirs not mine) one of them decided to go for help, this took the form of a bucket of water from a nearby house, when the contents of the bucket of water, administered in traditional hollywood fashion, did not bring me around the lads decided that it was serious and two of them went back to the house, aparently the daughter was a fine thing requiring one lad to call an ambulance and the other to verify the fact that she was a fine thing!

I woke up in hospital while gravel was being picked out of my face, demanded to know where my bike was and then magically teleported to a hospital bed where I woke up with the sensation of looking out through a letterbox due to the swelling around my eyes!

My last memory prior to the crash was setting my saddle height about 45 minutes before to the crash, the upside was that when i went out to do stupid things on a bike a few months later, I had no memory to make me nervous - so a winner all round some cool scars (aparently chicks dig them) and no mental blocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

scaldybelt wrote: »
    stood up to power down on the pedals.
    The chain slips and all my body weight goes down faster than expected. More weight went on the right side of the handle bar and so my bars spun about 180 degrees to bring me to an abrupt stop. I piled into the tarmac with limbs wrapped up in the wreckage.

Some thing very similar happened to me on Aungier st 2 months ago. Gears slipped while out of saddle with a rucksack on my back. Luckily I managed to break the fall with my face. My chin was cut so deep I could see the roots of my facial hair. have a not so nice scar now.

I also fell off the week before crossing the luas lines while looking at a pretty girl. the bike just disappeared from under me but I landed on my feet. tadaaa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

The scariest thing though is when you feel the front wheel going in the wet, ice or leaves, I haven't fallen off this way yet, but it gives you a good shock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Twice knocked off the bike by a motorist. Once a woman came out of a side road onto a main road while screaming at her hyper kids in the back seat. She clipped my bike, sent me into the middle of the road and I don't think she even noticed as she was so busy with the kids. I seen her look right at me before she turned but there where no other cars around so obviously a cyclist doesn't register.

Second time a transit sped up from behind me and turned left really hard at the last second. Kids out on a joyride I think. That sent me flying into a field. He didn't stop either. Wasn't hurt either time but the transit should have killed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Not as bad as some of the ones here, but the worst accident I've been in was almost two years ago now. I was cycling to college down a long road with no other cars near me. There was a stationary car on the left side of the road, with its left indicator on, so of course I went to cycle past it. As I was coming up near it the woman driving it just pulled out to the right to do a U-turn. I slapped on my brakes but I wasn't going to stop in time so I tried turning to the right in the hope that she'd stop and I'd make it past

It was to no avail though, she saw me and stopped and I went skidding sideways into the car and onto the ground. I'm not sure exactly how it went, but my front wheel was stuck under the front right wheel of the car and the back wheel was severely bent. My right knee and right elbow were cut kinda bad and my left palm had rubber from the handlebar stuck in the skin. I couldn't put any weight on my left hand for about eight months afterwards

The woman was sound enough though, she dropped me home and paid for a new bike. I think she was more shaken up by it than me though, her daughter had been screaming in the back of the car that she had killed me when I crashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Ouch!! Folks, some serious near death experiences here!! I notice from reading posts though, all it takes is a driver to take their eye off the road/be distracted or loose concentration. Scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think I've relayed my tale of putting a hole right through my face this year, just below my lip (slight scar now, looks cool), but I don't recall many serious injuries in my years mountain biking. Definitely came off enough times - I have a 6" scar on my left shin from when I crashed on the jagged rocks part of the tibradden descent. I also have a 3" scar on my right elbow. On a BMX, decided (as you do) to hit the biggest jump in our dirt jumps as hard as I could. Cleared the landing by about 3 feet, landed on the back wheel, bike at about 80 degrees, and promptly came off the back onto my elbow, removing most the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

About 6 years old out cycling with parents in forests of Donegal. Was on a Raleigh Stryker (yellow blue monster truck of kids bikes) and panicked coming down a steep incline (parents had told me to get off) pulled front brakes, thrown over handlebars. Can only remember my parents freaking out and having to run off for help (don't think there was a house for a mile or two) spent a long time on my back going to doctor in Dungloe who took an xray and found that (memory hazy here) my front teeth had been pushed into my gum and were visible under my nose somewhere.

I wasn't allowed put anything solid in my mouth for weeks, no cups, had to stop sucking my thumb and had to give up tin whistle classes, pity really. God bless 1982.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Once I was filtering through traffic stuck at lights and went between a Bus Eireann bus and a small truck/lorry. Lights went green and I was still between them. They started to get closer together, tried to fall back but the bus clipped me and dragged me a few yards then the bike flipped and I landed between the two of them and somehow both sets of wheels missed me and the bike. Few scratches, nothing serious.

Going accross the luas lines some pleb walked out in front of me. I tried to avoid him but then he turned into my line and the only way to avoid him was to turn my wheel in the direction of the luas. Wham on my chest on the right hand side. Bruises from top to bottom on my right hand side. Right wrist was knackered for ages after (still clicks a bit). Couldn't get out of bed the next day I was so sore. Came off at the luas lines about 6 months before this, but was relatively unscathed.

Only other bad one was in greece on a rented bike cycling up a road this albanian lad in a card drove beside me with the window down and clipped the handlebar and somehow it lodged in the window and the stupid príck dragged me up the road for about 20yards. Eventually i hit a parked car and the bike came unstuck. I was in a ball after that. The guy cycling behind me was certain i was dead. A guy on a moped stopped and thought i'd broken my arm. Luckily not. Went out on ringos behind a speedboat about 30mins later!:D Had i broken my arm it would've been kinda funny because i'd broken my other arm on my last sun holiday!!! Had some serious road rash after it and decided to buy that spray on bandage because i kept getting sand and stuff in it. That stuff is evil-don't ever use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

Fairly new to a daily commute I invested in a new bike. I took it straight from the bike shop to work. Oooh, the speed. Mmmm, the control. This was a Rolls to my previous Lada. My previous Lada was very, very low on the brakeage front.

That evening on my first full commute home I powered through Rathmines and as I approached the lights at the bridge at speeds previously unknown to me if not to man I realized it was going to be tight to make the green. I sped up. I realized it was going to be tight to make the orange. I sped up. I realized that if I didn't stop I was going to die. I slammed on the brakes.

On my old bike this would have cause me to drift slowly to a halt, I may even have had to turn left to avoid traffic. On this new out of the box bad boy though I went flying up into the air and swanned dived prettily onto the tarmac about a foot short of the passing cars.

Two broken wrists. The novelty of having my girlfriend feed me wore off quickly. For her too.

What a richard. (Me not the girllfriend)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Only ever came off a bike hard once, was coming into a finish in middleton I think, first lap prime and had positioned myself well on the outside shoulder of a guy to use as a leadout, he backed out I kicked and went for the gap, some tool behind me switched me, taking out my back wheel, I dropped onto my back at all of about 38-40mph and slid into a parked car.

Got back up tried to shout for a wheel from service car, noticed that there was a doctor running towards me shouting to sit back down ... didn't realise i had burnt the back out of my jersey and all the way thru my tee shirt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I've come off my bike twice, the first time was the scariest.

It was my second day cycling to college in 1st year, I'd hadn't done much cycling before so naturally my parents were nervous enough.

I was cycling down Rathgar Road and a car came out of a side road just after the Ivy Court restaurant there. It didn't make me brake but it made a motorcycle brake, hard. I was just past the turn when something hit me hard from behind. The guy coming out of the side road had come out in front of a motorcycle who was forced to brake really hard, the wheel locked, the motorcyclist came off his bike, his bike came flyin' down the road (supposedly there were sparks) and clipped the back of my bike. I fell to the ground, took everything in my shoulder and hip, could barely get up the next day but nothing was broken. Was pretty scary. There wasn't a scrape on the bike, my dad cycled it home.

Advertisement