Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catch 22? no tax or nct

Options
  • 21-11-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi all,

have just been given a car as a gift.
    the car is running fine and i have just gotten insured on it.
    the nct is booked for the 29th of this month and the tax is expired since september.

my question is this:
    i cant renew the tax without an nct cert (i think).
    so how can i get my nct done without tax.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

As far as I am aware you can renew the tax without an NCT certificate

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You won't be asked for the NCT cert when taxing the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

you can get tax without nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

wow!
    thanks for the quick replies.

im off to see the tax man then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What the guys said. You can tax a car without NCT

Back at the start of the NCT, you needed an NCT cert to tax your car. Then there was a big strike at the NCT, so people stopped taxing their car (because they couldn't). This rule was quickly repaired to "allow" people taxing their cars again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

unkel wrote: »
    What the guys said. You can tax a car without NCT

Back at the start of the NCT, you needed an NCT cert to tax your car. Then there was a big strike at the NCT, so people stopped taxing their car (because they couldn't). This rule was quickly repaired to "allow" people taxing their cars again
    thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

let me explain, my friend failed the NCT last time(January 2006) because one tyre size was different from the opposite tyre (Advance later rectified THEIR mistake) but never got retested after getting a new tyre. The car passed everything else so was fully safe to drive.
    She's taxed the car a few times since and has sailed through various Garda checkpoints (tax & insurance were up to date) but when the NCT is due again in January 2008 will she 1. be allowed to do it? 2. have to pay for 4 years? or 3. be fined for driving without an NCT?

Anyone had similar experience?
    any advice? She hasn't got a notification yet to be tested so maybe they won't call her?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

jimmysull wrote: »
    1. be allowed to do it? 2. have to pay for 4 years? or 3. be fined for driving without an NCT?

1 = Yes but she is best off contacting the NCT to make a booking, www.ncts.ie

2 = No she will only pay for for the current test (€49)

3 = Very possible, could also get a court summons

Best bit of advice is for her to contact the NCTS straight away and arrange a booking, then keep the booking receipt in the car incase she is stopped at a checkpoint.

I know the above because i put a car through the test under similar circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

jimmysull wrote: »
    let me explain, my friend failed the NCT last time(January 2006) because one tyre size was different from the opposite tyre (Advance later rectified THEIR mistake) but never got retested after getting a new tyre. The car passed everything else so was fully safe to drive.
    She's taxed the car a few times since and has sailed through various Garda checkpoints (tax & insurance were up to date) but when the NCT is due again in January 2008 will she 1. be allowed to do it? 2. have to pay for 4 years? or 3. be fined for driving without an NCT?

Anyone had similar experience?
    any advice? She hasn't got a notification yet to be tested so maybe they won't call her?

If she only failed on one tyre why didnt she get it retested :confused: A tester guy would have just come out to the car park - said "yeah grand" and gave her the pass cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And charged less than a full test fee for the privilidge too, as its cheaper when it doesn't need the testing gear used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Tyre Re-Test are free of charge sine the beginning of last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

Apparently the different size trye issue is different to a bad tyre and they wanted her to do a full retest
    bucks wrote: »
    1 = Yes but she is best off contacting the NCT to make a booking, www.ncts.ie

2 = No she will only pay for for the current test (€49)

Her new test would not be due until next January. If she does it now will she have to do it again in January... seems worth putting off for another while if that's the case

Advertisement