Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability appeal

• 21-11-2007 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Right stick with me on this one, it's a little complicated! I applied for Illness benefit but as I came here from the UK and only work for a few months I don't have enough contributions. I discussed this with my GP and he said my back pain would last for the rest of my life and probably not get any better, in fact, worse.

I applied for Disability benefit, and I went for a medical examination in April and was told I was not eligible as my disability was not or is not expected
    to last more than 12 months. This was correct at the time of my
    examination, but since then I have asked my GP if it is going to last more
    than 12 months. He agreed and I appealed.

I have since visited the Cappagh hospital and been diagnosed with Myofacial Pain syndrome. I gave the report from Cappagh and the referral to
    Physiotherapy to the appeal board. They again refused my claim on the
    grounds of me not meeting the medical grounds. I visited the relieving
    officer and she proceeded to fill out a social welfare benefit form to pay me on the strength of me appealing again.

I got a letter from the appeal board saying I can send a full and detailed account of my disability to be considered. This I have done and I am now awaiting a response from them.

I was wondering how long I can expect to wait for a descision as it has now been over a year. Also how many times can you appeal ? I've done it 3 times now. If I am refused how long can I claim social welfare for ? It feels like a catch 22 situation, I am not fit enough to work, but not sick enough for benefits.

If I am denied a 3rd time, shall I reapply for Illness benefit? I was told in September I still didn't have enough contributions for it. Or shall I reapply for Disability benefit ? I'm confused! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Right stick with me on this one, it's a little complicated! I applied for Illness benefit but as I came here from the UK and only work for a few months I don't have enough contributions. I discussed this with my GP and he said my back pain would last for the rest of my life and probably not get any better, in fact, worse.

You need to get a form E104 oand E103 from the UK Inland revenue then they will use that to take in account your UK contributions and while your at it ask for a form E303 and E304 those are for unemployment contributions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

She's correct, the n the contributions paid in England can be added to your Irish contribution record to help you qualify for Illness benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

I had trouble getting my own disability allowance sorted, and appealed twice. You can appeal as often as you wish if you have grounds to appeal on, and it certainly seems that you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

If you keep appealing and get a TD onyour side you will get it! Iknow somebody who recently got for f**** all!

In saying that I'm registered with a disability and get an awful time of them every yr for their medicals! Keep trying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I dont think a TD will make any difference since the SW appeals office is an independant body.

• Advertisement
Advertisement