Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Irish Beer

• 21-11-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

As a counterpoint to the Best foreign beer? thread, what is your favourite Irish Beer?

For the purposes of this thread, I will define an Irish beer as a beer brewed in Ireland, by an Irish owned company. The reason I specify this is that there are many beers brewed in Ireland, like Budweiser, or Heineken that are not Irish beers.

To start the ball rolling, I will go for Galway Hooker, as that is the beer I drink most often, when I step into the beer hall, in the Bull and Castle. My opinion changes, as my mood changes, but this is where I am right now.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Dunno if they still make it or not but "Cumin" wheat beer from Carlow Brewing Company. Was in college there years ago and went on a tour of the microbrewery. Loads of free pints then and got hooked. Haven't had it in years, hope they still make it....someone here should know

HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Here are mine

Galway Hooker, Mess Maguires porter, Porterhouse TSB, Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout, Franciscan Well red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

As a counterpoint to the Best foreign beer? thread, what is your favourite Irish Beer?

For the purposes of this thread, I will define an Irish beer as a beer brewed in Ireland, by an Irish owned company. The reason I specify this is that there are many beers brewed in Ireland, like Budweiser, or Heineken that are not Irish beers.

your definition also rules out Guinness, Murphys, Beamish etc - they may be owned by foreign companies but they're clearly Irish beers.

loyatemu wrote: »
    your definition also rules out Guinness, Murphys, Beamish etc - they may be owned by foreign companies but they're clearly Irish beers.

and beers claiming to be Irish that are contracted brewer out side the state

loyatemu wrote: »

Some of them are so international now they are nearly Irish style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Can they really be considered Irish? They started out as Irish, but are they Now?

Guinnes, for instance, is brewed in Ireland, as well as other parts of the world, by Diageo, an English based mulinational. If you can have a pint of Guinness brewed in Nigeria, for an English company, how can you conider it to be an Irish beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Haven't had it in years, hope they still make it....someone here should know

Not a huge fan of Curim myself, I think O'Hara's Stout is the Carlow Brewing Company's best offering, but I think you can get it in most bottle shops and I think I've seen it in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Guinness is of course Irish and always has been and is most definitely the best ever Irish beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

Harp ain't to bad (but it is Irish)maybe not the best.
    Don't drink it all the time myself not many Pubs around my way stock it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you can have a pint of Guinness brewed in Nigeria, for an English company, how can you conider it to be an Irish beer?
    Exactly, and for the same reasons I think the Irish versions of heineken, bud etc should be allowed in the definition. I expect they are brewed mainly with Irish ingredients in Irish breweries. A lot of the BUL beers have the recipie changed to suit local tastes, so in the UK many beers like heineken or carlsberg are available as 3.4% versions, to suit the UK apparent desire for low % beers with a particular taste.

So a factory here makes its own version of heineken and gets ruled out, yet if they overlabelled the bottle with "finnegans ale" it is allowed on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Draft: Poterhouse TSB
    Bottle: Curim Gold

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    Exactly, and for the same reasons I think the Irish versions of heineken, bud etc should be allowed in the definition. I expect they are brewed mainly with Irish ingredients in Irish breweries. A lot of the BUL beers have the recipie changed to suit local tastes, so in the UK many beers like heineken or carlsberg are available as 3.4% versions, to suit the UK apparent desire for low % beers with a particular taste.

So a factory here makes its own version of heineken and gets ruled out, yet if they overlabelled the bottle with "finnegans ale" it is allowed on the list.
    I agree. Under Guildofevil's rules, Kinsale Lager would be out, despite being an Irish brand, an Irish recipe, the property of an Irish company and brewed in Ireland, because the company contracted to brew it is headquartered in the UK.

Also: are we talking geographical or political Ireland (i.e. does Clotworthy Dobbin count)?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Dunno if they still make it or not but "Cumin" wheat beer from Carlow Brewing Company. Was in college there years ago and went on a tour of the microbrewery. Loads of free pints then and got hooked. Haven't had it in years, hope they still make it....someone here should know

HB

Curim is pretty widely available, I've bought it in supermarkets and the likes of O'Briens and Molloys.

Nice beer, but my vote goes to Blonde Biddy from the Biddy Early Brewery in Inagh, Co. Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Guinness/Beamish/Murphys are Irish, they originated from here!

As for best, I'd go for the ales mostly..Kilkenny, Porterhouse Red, Mess Maguire's Rusty, the Carlow beers (Molings and Curim). Guinness and Beamish for best stout :)

On reflection, we Irish have good Irish beer available and may it long continue! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Is Hoffmans an Irish beer brewed in Waterford??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Pakia

A very useful thread.

Now I've to first find them in local pubs of Maryland then judge them. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pakia wrote: »
    A very useful thread.
    But quite a few years out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Pakia wrote: »
    A very useful thread.

Now I've to first find them in local pubs of Maryland then judge them. :D

I thought you said on another thread that you're a Muslim...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Siuin wrote: »
    I thought you said on another thread that you're a Muslim...?

Nothing to do with the thread title at all, infracted for trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I suggest that we close this thread and start a new one.
    The landscape of Irish beer has changed dramatically over the years since this thread has started.

In fact, I'll go ahead and start a new one and the mods can close this one/delete my new one/keep both as they see fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement