Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skyDSL now offering 4 MB line

Options
  • 21-11-2007 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭

I don't know how long this has been available, I didn't know myself until I saw it on the site:
    https://www.teles-skydsl.com/index.php?c=order&s=tariff&cs=option
    I've been on the 2 MB tariff for 6 months now and think it's great (well it is the only b'band I can get where I live).
    Have any skyDSL users here switched over to this tariff? Am thinking of doing so as it is only €10 extra per month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This is only way though, problem is it doesn't speed up most web browsing because of the terrible ping times and it can't be used for online gaming or VOIP etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Correction to my post:it's actually €20 extra as I am paying €30 at the mo', the new tariff is €50.
    brim4brim wrote: »
    This is only way though, problem is it doesn't speed up most web browsing because of the terrible ping times and it can't be used for online gaming or VOIP etc ...

I know it's only one-way, that doesn't affect me as I don't upload anything.
    I don't know where you got that it doesn't speed up web browsing as that hasn't been my experience, it's loading pages very fast for me.
    I don't game online either or use VOIP but if I did it would be a disadvantage, granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

€50 tarrif + €26 eircom + call costs >= €76

You'd be better of ditching eircom and having a real 2way satellite Internet. Or even O2 mobile Internet.

If they get much takup on that package the contention will be terrible. How does it look on speed test, say a download of 450Mbyte Linux ISO from heanet.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lukin wrote: »
    Correction to my post:it's actually €20 extra as I am paying €30 at the mo', the new tariff is €50.

I know it's only one-way, that doesn't affect me as I don't upload anything.
    I don't know where you got that it doesn't speed up web browsing as that hasn't been my experience, it's loading pages very fast for me.
    I don't game online either or use VOIP but if I did it would be a disadvantage, granted.

Because we had it and it doesn't speed up web browsing unless your going to a flash heavy site like Flash games and the like. Otherwise the speed up is marginal and most of the speed up comes from caching sites you visit regularly by the software which you can get elsewhere for free.

Part of the reason we didn't see a speed up is that we have very good 56K line and are only 100M or so from our local exchange which just isn't enabled as we live in a rural area. I've moved out now but my parents are using 3 mobile broadband instead as its the only alternative to eircom in the area as we have no line of sight to wireless operators in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

watty wrote: »
    €50 tarrif + €26 eircom + call costs >= €76
    My monthly bill is about €82 as my call costs are €26 per month (for 180 hours dial-up anytime per month) + €26 eircom + €30 tariff.
    If I change to the €50 tariff it'll be over €100.
    You'd be better of ditching eircom and having a real 2way satellite Internet. Or even O2 mobile Internet.
    The maximum d'load speed that's available to me on two-way sat is 1 MB which costs €200 a month (Upload speed is 256ks). That's with Digiweb.
    Mediasat have a 1 MB d'load speed as well and "Upload Speeds dependent on terrerstrial or mobile connection".
    That's without factoring in the installation costs (which I know are massive)
    I'd have to pay more for less download speed just to get a pretty average upload speed.
    I'm not even sure I can get digiweb as I think there are trees in the way.
    O2's mobile b'band coverage is crap and has a 10 Gb cap and would not have the same d'load speed.
    Vodafone has 3.6 MB speed but the contract is for 18 months.
    If they get much takup on that package the contention will be terrible.
    If it is I can always go back to my previous tariff.
    How does it look on speed test, say a download of 450Mbyte Linux ISO from heanet.ie?
    Dunno, I'd like to test it out first but that won't be possible I'd say.
    brim4brim wrote:
    most of the speed up comes from caching sites you visit regularly by the software which you can get elsewhere for free.

It loads every page very quickly for me, even ones I am visiting for the first time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement