Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircon broadband crapping out

• 21-11-2007 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm having problems with my eircom broandband lately, just wondering if any one has suggestions on how i might remedy it.
    Basically i can be online for 20 - 30 mins and it stops working, the light on the box that says 'DSL Sync'(havent a clue what this is) turns off which means the connection is lost. I have to switch off the box and wait a couple of mins before turning it back on (turning on straight away doesnt work).

Any ideas what can cause this?....has anyone had this problem recently?
    I play poker online so im wondering if the software is causing this problem also?.....

any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

DSL sync is the connection to your exchance, this not staying solid could be due to many factors.

* Location of router in house (should be on the primary phone point)
    * Amount of devices attached (Phone, alarm, Sky, fax ect.) with BB, the max should be 4 inc. the BB
    * Quality of cable running from phone point to modem
    * Microfilters must be on all phone points in use in the house (double one for BB)
    * Could be a fault on your line in the house or to the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

thanks for the reply auggie.....
    what are microfilters exactly?.....

the phone point it is connected to is a bedroom phone point.....its been fine for a couple of years before this.... there is nothing else connected to the phone line such as fax etc....

if there is a fault in the line is there anyway for me to check this?...

Could this problem be caused by too much traffic on the line i.e. me trying to do several things online at once?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cabaal wrote: »

sorry new to here...will do thanks

Cabaal wrote: »

just reading the FAQ, in step 2
    Step 2. Unplug the ADSL modem or router from the power and connect it directly into the Eircom master socket, without a filter, then power it up. Check the sync speed again for any improvement.

How do i check the sync speed of a connection?

If its a disconnection problem you may need to test your connection for awhile.

If you experienced a total loss of sync and you've regained sync by following the above then its recommended you reconnect everything one at a time using ADSL filters correctly so you can identify the cause of the connection problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement