Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting stamp duty question

Options
  • 21-11-2007 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I saw an apartment on daft.ie for rent so I rang the estate agents to look at it and told them i`d take it so it was taken off the market. The paper work started I got references and stuff together. I was told that I`d have to pay 1 months rent and a deposit of 1 months rent also which was fine but when I arrived to pay them and get keys they asked me for another 204.80 in stamp duty fees and 80 in admin fees. Should I have to pay this? I presumed that admin fees would be paid by the landlord and that stamp duty would have nothing to do with me.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You might have to pay the admin fees, just like you'd pay utilities, but I've never heard of stamp duty fees before this. Like you, I would have assumed that stamp duty is the responsibility of the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Is this stamp duty clawback due to renting the property out? Most certainly the landlords responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Not true dudara. If the total amount of the lease is over a certain amount (think it's about 19K), then you have to pay stamp duty of 1%. This stamp duty is the responsibility of the tenant, and has nothing to do with the landlord.

You can find info on it on the revenue.ie website if I remember correctly.
    But I know I definitely looked into it around 2 years ago when we got hit with the same stamp duty on signing a lease, and that was the case then.

I'd imagine with rents going up, more and more people are going to find themselves paying this duty in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Just to clarify - the stamp duty is on the lease, and should not be confused with stamp duty on the property, which is much more expensive and definitely the owner's responsibility not the tenant's.

Thanks aniascor - that's something I had never heard about before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JackBlack

Ahhhh i dont want to pay any stamp duty

The following is taken from Citizensinformation.ie
    If the yearly rent on the lease for residential accommodation is over 19,050 euro, the tenant is responsible for stamp duty on the annual rent. It is your responsibility as a tenant to pay this, and it should be paid to the Revenue Commissioners. (The Revenue Commissioners are responsible for the collection of taxes on behalf of the Irish Government.)

€19,050 per year = €1587.50 per calendar month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JackBlack

Cheers for the info dudara

Advertisement