Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sleeping outside

Options
  • 21-11-2007 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering with the cold weather settling in, is it too cold to let my westie sleep outside? He is 5 months. He loves being outside and at night when i put him, doesnt look to come in. His kennel is well sheltered, the boiler blowout pipe is directly above his kennel so is seems warm when you put your hand in. He has blankets and a sleeping bag. He even had a little veranda built for his house so it shelters the wind aswell

I am just wondering at what point is it too bad weather wise to have the dog sleep outside?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Well my dogs sleep inside but that's because I have them spoilt rotten! Your little fella sound slike he is well wrapped up and if you were very concerned that he might be cold you could wrap up a hot water bottle in a towel and leave it in his bed.
    I suppose if we went through a VERY cold snap then you might consider taking him inside for a night or two but otherwise he sounds like he's nice and snuggly.
    Does he have a door on his kennel so he is sheltered from rain and the like?

My main reason for having mine inside is I'm afraid they would be stolen if they were outside because believe it or not there are people who steal dogs for breeding and all sorts of other horrible stuff! Read once case recently in UK where a dog was stolen from a car in a supermarket and the 'dognappers' left a note for a randsome for the pet! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Thanks for that. He gets the hot water bottle alright for an hour before bed. He has a door on the kennel but we leave it open as the veranda has him well sheltered. Believe me, he is very spoilt but loves being outside. When inside, likes to fall asleep in front of the fire, then is brought out.

Yeah will see how cold it gets. If we hit 0, might be time to have him inside for a few nights

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

glineli wrote: »
    Thanks for that. He gets the hot water bottle alright for an hour before bed. He has a door on the kennel but we leave it open as the veranda has him well sheltered. Believe me, he is very spoilt but loves being outside. When inside, likes to fall asleep in front of the fire, then is brought out.

Yeah will see how cold it gets. If we hit 0, might be time to have him inside for a few nights

Thanks again

No worries, he sounds like he's comfy and happy to be outside so he'll be grand :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

My dogs sleep outside - well in their kennel which is in my car garage. its quite warm as its very well insulated and has its own air heating system. The problem is during the cold & wet days. Obviously the dogs can't sleep all the time and won't stay in their kennel all day so that's the real problem for me.

I would be cautious about leaving the dogs near the oil burner blow out pipe - if its close enough to warm his kennel its also close enough to poison the dog with the fumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

Mine sleep outside too. If they get really cold they squeeze in with each other rather than be in their own kennel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mine sleep outside in kennels. I bought a cheap carrymat in millets (cheap camping shop in Dublin) From experience it makes things a lot warmer! Try and avoid cotton, old fleeces work great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

A Fleece blanket and a doghouse is all they need, let his hair grow over winter (Keep it brushed) , and he'll be fine, I wouldnt give a hot water bottle to a dog, I wouldnt recommend mollycodling any animal, hes a dog afterall. Where do you think dogs wild ancesters slept? they got this far without hot water bottles. My english pointer slept outside for nearly 17 years, and she was short haired.
    Westies are a scottish breed and scotlands winters are a damn site colder then they are here. But thats just my opinion, no offence intended as I may be wrong . If you wanna wrap him up in cotten wool then thats your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Jimkel wrote: »
    A Fleece blanket and a doghouse is all they need, let his hair grow over winter (Keep it brushed) , and he'll be fine, I wouldnt give a hot water bottle to a dog, I wouldnt recommend mollycodling any animal, hes a dog afterall. Where do you think dogs wild ancesters slept? they got this far without hot water bottles. My english pointer slept outside for nearly 17 years, and she was short haired.
    Westies are a scottish breed and scotlands winters are a damn site colder then they are here. But thats just my opinion, no offence intended as I may be wrong . If you wanna wrap him up in cotten wool then thats your choice.

Cheers. Yeah he has a fleece blanket and an old sleeping bag.
    I never really looked at it that way about being a scottish breed and the weather etc, damn!! But its very true!!
    He has a nice coat on him now, we never get it cut too tight so i think he should be grand and happy.

Thanks for all the advice lads and ladies!! Appreciate it

Advertisement