Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Options

Options
  • 21-11-2007 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any good resources for the options other than Further Calculus and Series? Do any of the revision books offer them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I have a book on Groups (option 2) published by The Celtic Press. It looks like Text and Tests, same cover idea, same format as far as sections go etc., so I'm assuming it's a sort of "accompanying" book. (And probably same publisher.)
    Where you'd get it, I don't know, as I got it from my maths teacher.
    Waiting for him to get back to me about the Further Geometry option, which is done by almost nobody apparently (in the chief examiners report for 2005 I believe, about 4 people of the sample did it), and is reasonably old, so I don't know if there's a book for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Accompanying booklets for the "groups" option and the "further probability and stats" option were produced by all of the following:
    - O.D. Morris, Text and Tests, Celtic Press
    - Oliver Murphy, Leaving Certificate Mathematics - Higher Level, Folens
    - Aidan Roantree, Leaving Certificate Higher Level Maths, school and College Publishing.

A decent schoolbook shop should be able to order any of them for you if they don't stock them. (I'm assuming they're still in print, but I don't know.) You could contact the publishers directly to find out, I guess.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has published a booklet for the further geometry option, so you'd need to track down someone's notes, or find a sufficiently interested teacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 paddy007

ryanairzer wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any good resources for the options other than Further Calculus and Series? Do any of the revision books offer them??

What are the options i dont really no of any?

Im just doin further calculus and series, basically what the teacher decided.
    Its handy enuf :cool:

Options are: Further Calculus and Series, Groups, Further Probability and Statistics (shudder), and Further Geometry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

Options are: Further Calculus and Series, Groups, Further Probability and Statistics (shudder), and Further Geometry.

Ain't nothin wrong with probability. Tis very easy.

• Advertisement

But Further Probability? Just why would you do that to yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

But Further Probability? Just why would you do that to yourself?

To expand my knowledge of the wonderful world of probability of course. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Here's a write-up of the Group Theory question in terms of the Leaving Cert. Albeit not that extensive, it does have a sample question done out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 paddy007

Sound thanks. Ye i was lookin at the exam papers aswell and found out the options. I never payed attention to it until now

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ian.f

ryanairzer wrote: »

I don't understand why you would want any of the other options when further calculus and series are available. They are very straightforward if you have done your work for every other part of the course and if you study them properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

further calculus i found the easiest, but none of them or that bad

ian.f wrote: »
    I don't understand why you would want any of the other options when further calculus and series are available. They are very straightforward if you have done your work for every other part of the course and if you study them properly
    Two reasons off the top of my head:
    1) You hate calculus.
    2) You're a big maths nerd and are interested in expanding your knowledge of the wonderful subject.

Advertisement