Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who actually is the cheapest .ie provider

Options
  • 21-11-2007 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

If one wanted a personal .ie domain name and no hosting *unless its as cheap as the us providers and doesn't want to get shafted in year 2 , who is actually the provider to go with. Can I actually go with a 10 year domain name. I am hearing that even if you go for 10 years its not actually registered with the ie. whois for that period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

to the best of my knowledge register365 is the cheapest at 25.95 ex vat ..

someone had done a round up of these before .. I remember seeing it over on http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

http://www.georgiecasey.com/2007/09/10/price-comparison-of-ie-domain-name-registrars/

Shop around, there might be benefits if purchased with a hosting plan.

zabbo wrote: »
    http://www.georgiecasey.com/2007/09/10/price-comparison-of-ie-domain-name-registrars/

Shop around, there might be benefits if purchased with a hosting plan.

Thats the link I was thinking of :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bananarepublic

anyone used letshost.ie then??

My personal experience would say to go with register365 its 1 eur ... but at the end of the day its your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I used thm before!! Great crowd for helping you get started and setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I used thm before!! Great crowd for helping you get started and setup.

Lets host provide a great service, get back to ya within a couple of hours if you've any problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

I use http://www.letshost.ie and all good,

they also helped to lower the price of .ies by offering a big discount
    to the other companie. the others are now following their lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bananarepublic

cheers guys and you dont have to go for hosting right. You can get that somewhere else. Also was it a hassle getting a personal .ie. Just want my name etc.. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

No offence to letshost, but they aren't exactly the market leader ;)

• Advertisement

cheers guys and you dont have to go for hosting right. You can get that somewhere else. Also was it a hassle getting a personal .ie. Just want my name etc.. Thanks

Very straight forward, I got mine recently too :) - http://www.barryhand.ie/theres-only-one-barry-handwith-a-dot-ie-domain/

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Using them myself, found them great and prompt to resolve any issues that arrise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Register your .ie with letshost.ie but don't get hosting with them - servers are us based and lag can be bad.

You need to think about more than just price (as with any product or service). Can you avail of 24/7 support - is there a simple control panel to make contact or DNS changes in the future - is the registration done quickly and professionally? All questions to ask, relative to a saving of less than a euro.

It could also be worth asking if the provider has had any outages over the past year...

At the end of the day, most of the providers provide decent domain purchasing, what you'll need to consider is if you are also getting hosting, and if you're going to managing a few domains, as well as how helpful the support team are :)

Well, outages wont effect your domain (unless it's also hosted on a server that has an outage).

As I said, the only criteria for domain purchase is the level of access / control you have with the providers systems, that allow you to manage the domain and move it if you need to - otherwise domains are the most basic commodity in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Well, outages wont effect your domain

What about DNS?

If a provider is completely offline their dns will not work ...

As I said - "(unless it's also hosted on a server that has an outage)"

As I said - "(unless it's also hosted on a server that has an outage)"
    *sigh*

Many domains are bought from registrars that are not even on the DNS servers provided by that registrar. By our own data, we have several hundred domains that have been bought through us but are hosted on your nameservers, for example.

The OP wanted a domain and -specifically- no hosting.

• Advertisement

By our own data, we have several hundred domains that have been bought through us but are hosted on your nameservers, for example.

And vice-versa :)

The OP wanted a domain and -specifically- no hosting.

He wanted the cheapest domain, which I linked to information with a comparison of various suppliers and their costs, then you decided to derail this thread based on your own vested interests...

The only people still talking here work for hosting / domain registration companies. 'Vested interests' is a term I'd be careful throwing around and, again, I'd suggest the mods lock this thread - the OP has his answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Just a few points - Irish hosters are better for .ie domains. It is not possible to register .ie domains for ten years.

Some hosters are selling near to cost or, in some cases, below it to build market share rapidly. (This can be a very dangerous thing given the market shares of the top Irish hosters but that's a completely different argument and it might upset some of the low end hosters.) The Irish domain/hosting market is now a mature market and the top few companies get most of the new registrations each month.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd suggest the mods lock this thread - the OP has his answers.
    Quite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement