Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demise of the book as we know it?

Options
  • 21-11-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading an article in Newsweek and it was saying how there's this new contraction called a Kindle that is basically like an ipod for books. Now, it's not like i'm a technophobe or anything. I love my ipod as much as the next person, but the thought of books being on small machines to read as you scroll down just depresses me. I mean, if you look at the thread on this forum of people's favourite books, can you imagine reading these on a little screen? Books are brilliant. The stores where you buy them, the browsing, the feel, the smell of the books. These are just some of the things that make reading so enjoyable. The content of course is the main feature, but everything else adds to it. Technology is fine up to a point, but sometimes you can just get too clever with gadgets and before you know it, you're left in a stale, shallow, hollow world. The thought of this makes me really angry. If there are people out there who would rather read on these machine than actual books, well fair enough. Each to their own. But my fear is that more and more book stores close down in the future and books become a rarity.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I wouldn't be too concerned about the demise of books. Although they claim to be making progress, affordable screens that are reader-friendly seem to be some way off. And they'll never simulate that book smell either!

Maybe bookshops are more in trouble now you can order everything online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

monkey9 wrote: »
    I was reading an article in Newsweek and it was saying how there's this new contraction called a Kindle that is basically like an ipod for books. Now, it's not like i'm a technophobe or anything. I love my ipod as much as the next person, but the thought of books being on small machines to read as you scroll down just depresses me. I mean, if you look at the thread on this forum of people's favourite books, can you imagine reading these on a little screen? Books are brilliant. The stores where you buy them, the browsing, the feel, the smell of the books. These are just some of the things that make reading so enjoyable. The content of course is the main feature, but everything else adds to it. Technology is fine up to a point, but sometimes you can just get too clever with gadgets and before you know it, you're left in a stale, shallow, hollow world. The thought of this makes me really angry. If there are people out there who would rather read on these machine than actual books, well fair enough. Each to their own. But my fear is that more and more book stores close down in the future and books become a rarity.

It's a horrible thought. And makes me think that if books die out and are all digital, what if classics get deleted. Whole collections disappear. Viruses and bugs in the books making literature fade away into nothing.

Books were meant to be held, thumbed through, loved dammit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Well I've no sense of smell, so don't care if I can't smell the book.
    I rarely buy from bricks and mortars shops, so won't miss that part either.

There is something about having a book though which would be very hard to replicate with an e-reader.
    But, there is no way classics will go missings if this was to take over, there would be more backups than there is now, as even if the publisher lost their copy(s) (most likely they'd have several backups) but anyone who purchased it would have a copy as there'd be no reason to delete it when you are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_5892762_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1YXP3D18RG2MX6QSM8KQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=333267901&pf_rd_i=507846

I don’t think that this is going to replace books not this model any way , I have a 17 inch pc screen an I cant stand reading more than 2-3 pages off it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_5892762_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1YXP3D18RG2MX6QSM8KQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=333267901&pf_rd_i=507846

I don’t think that this is going to replace books not this model any way , I have a 17 inch pc screen an I cant stand reading more than 2-3 pages off it:rolleyes:

Yes but this has a specially designed screen to make reading off it easier.
    The good reviews its getting are mainly though to the fact that it is actually readable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The Kindle is not the only e-reader out there. I've seen some very nice ones. These things will be great for people who travel a lot and want to read on trains, buses, planes etc.

However, the thought that they would ever replace paper books is horrible! No thanks.

Back tot the Kindle, it has several problems, it does not support PDF format so you won't be able to load your own PDF's onto it. Secondly, the Kindle does not allow you to upload your own content anyway...unless you pay to do so!! That's right, you have to pay to upload stuff you already have at home. It also uses very strict DRM (digital rights management) protocols so that'll mean making it very difficult for you to backup any software you buy.

That said, it's still sold out on Amazon and despite getting only okay reviews, I;d say it will take off. I'd like a good e-reader but I think we're about 3 years away from anything remotely acceptable for MY needs. I would still buy regular books but this would be so good for travelling :)

Advertisement