Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can 3rd Years do 1st year electives???

Options
  • 21-11-2007 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Does any1 know if 3rd years can do 1st year electives?? i'm doing a really hard one this semester and just want a break.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

No you can only do them from the year above and the year below you so the most you can do is an easy 2nd year I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

No you def can do level 1 electives.

There was a large tread on this at the start of semester one.

Think the only elective you cant chose are level 0 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PharmBoyUCD

No you can only do them from the year above and the year below you so the most you can do is an easy 2nd year I'm afraid.
    No you def can do level 1 electives.

There was a large tread on this at the start of semester one.

Think the only elective you cant chose are level 0 ones.

I dont know who to believe. Another problem in UCD, nobody knows whats going on half the time and it's hard to find out the correct answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

If you choose an elective in a language you can choose level one iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

it was discussed here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055141570&highlight=electives

100% 3rd year students can do Stage 1 electives

i'm 3rd year doing a 1st year elective - nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

And I'm a 4th year doing a stage 1 elective this semester, and another one next semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Brimmy is wrong, I'm a 3rd Year doing a 1st Year elective. It is allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

In arts/comm/law at least you need to have 100 credits from stage 2 or above in your last two years. IE you can do 4 first year modules as long as you pass all 20 2nd&3rd year ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Apologies if I was wrong. Could have sworn the last time this came up that it was a resounding no.

That said I'm well picking a first year module next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

If you do a 1st year elective in 3rd year, does it affect your GPA though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

As far as I can tell, I don't think they weight it at all, doing first year electives (easy A grades) seems to be a good way of raising your GPA. For once the mismanagement of UCD works in my favour.

Okay, (to reassure myself) I just checked my 2nd year results and calculated the GPAs on them. I did 1 1st year elective in 2nd year and it isn't weighted and is treated the same as all the other results. Whether this'll be the case for 3rd Year I don't know, hopefully it will be, as it could be the difference that gets you a first class honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PharmBoyUCD

cool, thanks guys!

Advertisement