Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can "company" phone texts be read by management?

• 21-11-2007 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Something I've wondered since I've been given my company phone is would my boss be able to get a copy of each text I send/receive?

Its a meteor billphone (nokia 6300)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Possibly... but s/he would need exceedingly good legal grounds to do so (and then apply to through the courts via the Gardai). And I'm not sure about whether the actual contents of the message can be read actually...just when you sent messages.

If they didn't...hope they have a good legal team ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the person who is an authorised contact on the account can request a list of numbers that texts were send to alright but as for seeing the messages themselves,doubtful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I doubt the phone companies store the messages. I'd say they just keep the delivery information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rory B

Something I've wondered since I've been given my company phone is would my boss be able to get a copy of each text I send/receive?

They can see time & date of numbers you have texted but not incoming texts or the content!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

I know for a fact that there are security companies that install hidden surveillence software on smartphones that keep a log of texts or bcc them to another number.

This would imply:
    1. Text contents are not confidential if your boss would go that far and your phone is capable of having reasonably sophisticated software installed.
    2. It must be difficult/impossible to do it by other means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

The company who own the account would be able to request the number a sms was sent to, the time and date and also the amount of characters.

Anything else, such as content, they'll need a court order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

All operators are required by law to store ALL !!! text messages that you send (anti-terror laws or something) for a period of 6 months (I think)
    But I think the last justice Minister wanted that extended to be a year and half.
    So be careful what you send, its been stored so big brother can read them !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

The current situation with mobile operators is that the a Call Detail Record (CDR) is kept of each SMS sent, this will contain the time-stamp plus the other relevant detiails ie Sender, Recipient etc.
    These are the records that are backed up for 6 - 12 months depending on jurisdiction.
    With most SMSC software there is a provision to include the message contents in the CDR, historically though due to a number of reasons but mainly due to the fact that they arent necessary in a billing environment, they are not currently included.

As more and more handsets start to use mainstream OS, the possibility of companies having spyware on handsets grows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

billbond4 wrote: »
    All operators are required by law to store ALL !!! text messages that you send (anti-terror laws or something) for a period of 6 months (I think)
    But I think the last justice Minister wanted that extended to be a year and half.
    So be careful what you send, its been stored so big brother can read them !!!

Are you sure that you're not confusing that with an episode of Law and Order??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

The current situation with mobile operators is that the a Call Detail Record (CDR) is kept of each SMS sent, this will contain the time-stamp plus the other relevant detiails ie Sender, Recipient etc.
    These are the records that are backed up for 6 - 12 months depending on jurisdiction.
    With most SMSC software there is a provision to include the message contents in the CDR, historically though due to a number of reasons but mainly due to the fact that they arent necessary in a billing environment, they are not currently included.

As more and more handsets start to use mainstream OS, the possibility of companies having spyware on handsets grows.

What he said ^^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

A record that the SMS was sent is kept ........ the content is NOT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

you should request details on this from your HR group.
    it could be possible that your boss could request your handset back at anytime, and then read the messages..

Advertisement