Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stamp Duty for rented accomodation?

• 21-11-2007 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

A friend of mine is trying to rent and apartment in Dublin. The rent is €1600 a month. they want her to pay a months deposit and a months rent in advance fair enough.
    They then told her she has to pay €3,957 for stamp duty and administration fees .
    Is this right, do u have to pay stamp duty on a rented flat, I have told her to ring Citizens Advice but just wondering what ye think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

That is absolutely crazy and completely untrue. Tell your friend to get as far away as possible. And if you can, report them to the Irish Private Residential Tenancies Board. That is disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

That is absolutely crazy and completely untrue. Tell your friend to get as far away as possible. And if you can, report them to the Irish Private Residential Tenancies Board. That is disgraceful.
    you sure about that?

im not 100% sure myself, but if the annual rent is over 19050 then the renter pays stamp duty.
    not sure how much however

edit//
    just checked and once over 19050 the stamp duty is 1% of the rent and the tenant is liable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Subway have you got a link for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

subway wrote: »

edit//
    just checked and once over 19050 the stamp duty is 1% of the rent and the tenant is liable

the OP is still under that threshold, and even if she was not the figures quoted are totally out of sync with 1%....

EDIT: Not thinking straight, obviously my maths aren't up to scratch! Over the limit, but still the figures quoted are excessive!

• Advertisement

Thanks had just found it myself too :D

Never knew that.

dK1NG wrote: »
    the OP is still under that threshold, and even if she was not the figures quoted are totally out of sync with 1%....
    1600 x 12 = 19200 in my book.
    1% would be 192euro.

the landlord does seems to be taking the proverbial tho...

dK1NG wrote: »

No it is over the threshold. Works out at 1587 per month. There is also a service charge included in the figure given by the OP.

So around 3,800 in charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

€3,765 in administration fees for €192 in stamp duty seems a bit much. :D

The landlord is scamming your friend and/or the Revenue.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Residential Tenancies Board .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not really needed. The Stamp Duty is payable by the tenant direct to the Revenue, the landlord doesn't touch it (although most will want to make sure it has been paid). Query the administration fees. If they are the landlord's or agents own fees don't rent and ask for any money back - the alternative is a complaint for breach of contract and/or false advertising, assuming the administration fees weren't advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

Thanks for the advice, she is stuck on what to do, she really wants the apartment and can't find anything else, but she doesn't want to just hand over her money for no reason.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sounds very dodgey to me. I'm guessing the landlord is trying to pass on his service charge and other fees. Service charges are a matter for the landlord, not the tenant normally. I would walk away from this.

Advertisement