Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassette to CD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 almidonado

Assuming you have a pc with a microphone input and cd burner... I'm not well up on computers, so I don't know if they come as standard these days or what.

If your tape deck has an output, you can plug it into the microphone input on your computer, with a little jack-to-jack and (usually) record it with whatever sound software you have, and then burn your disc from your pc as usual. No need to buy any fancy machinery.

Just BE CAREFUL not to have the volume too high! To be safe, turn it right down and begin recording, turning it up steadily until you get your levels right. Then start again with that level and you're sorted.

I've done this a few times before, using a TASCAM MkII and Audacity and have had no problems.

If anyone more tech-savvy than me can tell me if this idea is ridiculous, dangerous, moronic or warranty-voiding in any way, please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Nero will do all you ask! It even has a wizard that will allow you to set the recording levels correctly. I used it lots of times using a karaoke machine that had a tape recorder in it! I just then connected it to the mic input on the pc. Make sure you select mic or line for recording and off you go.

Hope this helps.

DJ Spider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Whatever software you choose, make sure it has a denoiser. Magix Audio Cleaning Lab is a good choice for small money. If your soundcard has a line in as well as a mic in, you can just use a lead with 3.5mm stereo jacks on either end and run the headphone out on the tape machine to the line in on the soundcard. You might need a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch convertor if your tape headphone socket is the large format.

Don't be tempted to use the mic input on a consumer card if that is all you have - it's meant for dealing with low quality voice, not music. You can pick up a behringer USB audio interface for small money, or even get one bundled with many of the software packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Thanks for those answers. Got some ideas to work on there and some money saved :)

Advertisement