Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American style bacon/rashers

• 21-11-2007 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

I'm looking for American style crispy bacon, basically the type served in American diners as a breakfast side order or with pancakes - thing, long and crispy!

Does anyone know where I could buy this? I'm thinking M&S might do a version, but I've never seen it. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

not just yer average streaky bacon no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

How about those Denny Instants - the microwaveable ones? They're very thin and crispy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 agapanthus

Tesco Finest range have smoked pancetta which look like streaky rashers, these are the nearest I have ever found to American bacon. I fry them over not too hot heat and they release an enormous amount of fat but end up really crispy. I always look through the back of the packs to try and find the leanest ones, still very fatty though but they are lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Spanish Campofrio brand bacon is what you ar looking for, my local supervalu has it.
    It has a blue back to the pack and is vacpac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mark Hulsman

Hello. My name is Mark and I am an American from Kentucky. We not only have a lot of bourbon here, but also eat a lot of bacon. I make my own from fresh pork belly. I saw a special about Dublin on the Foodnetwork. They showed an Irish breakfast with Irish bacon. I would love to make some, but cannot locate a recipe. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hello. My name is Mark and I am an American from Kentucky. We not only have a lot of bourbon here, but also eat a lot of bacon. I make my own from fresh pork belly. I saw a special about Dublin on the Foodnetwork. They showed an Irish breakfast with Irish bacon. I would love to make some, but cannot locate a recipe. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ahhh - the humble rasher! istockphoto_1146238_one_rasher_of_raw_uncooked_bacon_isolated_against_white.jpg

http://www.rashersandeggs.com/rashers.html

It's the loin you're looking for, not the belly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have no idea about the brine content for a soak or the maple or hickory magic that goes into creating and Irish rasher, but I'd love to hear what you do with pork belly to make bacon. (I'm assuming there's more to this than 'slice it thinly'. :) )

I'm in Australia, and these people just can't emulate what the Irish can do to a pig... :(

I love that picture, it's what I'm trying to make. Minesajack asked for some info. Firstly, switch from that Tennessee sour mash and try some good Kentucky bourbon like Woodford Reserve! Just kidding.
    The way I make bacon is to get a 7 or 8 pound slab of fresh pork belly, remove the rind. I use a mixture of Morton's Tenderquick, brown sugar and maple syrup. Rub the cure and the sugar into the meat, pour on the syrup, put the whole thing in a plastic bag or glass container in the fridge at about 35 faranheit(sp?) for 3 weeks, turning every few days. Rinse well in water. Soak in very cold water for 2 hours and hang to dry in front of a fan for an hour. I don't have time to cold smoke, so I hot smoke at 220 degrees for about 4-5 hours until internal temp hits 140. Chill overnight, slice very thin and fry without oil. Tastes great and costs about $1.50 a pound. This does have to be refrigerated but will keep for weeks and freezes nicely. You can do the same with a boned pork butt and make what is called buckboard bacon. Canadian bacon is the same process using a whole loin but baked and not smoked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I saw you mention Morton's on another thread - is that some sort of saltpetre mixture or somesuch? Also, what do you use to slice it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

hot fuss wrote: »
    I'm looking for American style crispy bacon, basically the type served in American diners as a breakfast side order or with pancakes - thing, long and crispy!

As far as I can see, they're just streaky rashers, but cooked a few minutes longer. They're the reason I don't order BLTs here in North America. Not my scene, I'd trade for some nice thick cut denny or galtee any day.

• Advertisement

Tenderquick is basically a mix of salt, sugar and saltpeter. I happen to work at a bar that has a nice, electric slicer. You could use a big chef's knife if the meat was partially frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

My wife found it in Musgraves in Sallynoggin. Big packages and partly pre-cooked. You can just take some out and pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. It's the real stuff. My Irish wife and stepdaughters love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wanneabecritic

carrolls cuisene which is a part of ewas does it they are based in tullamore in offaly but supplies most deli and supermarkets

Advertisement