Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair ban from Christianity forum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

l_99e9b56709a01c818e4693fa4e39a092.jpg

zombie-jesus-day.gif

jesus_supper_zombie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

That last one rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh please different forums have different rules, if you tought other people's posts were in breach of the charter you should have reported them.

I can say in many forums that soccer is a load of bollock but if I was to say it in the soccer forum I would get a ban and rightly so.

Again, you arent making an argument of equivalency.

I was referring ot the Christianity forum specifically in relation to excercising the same rules for everyone.

My point stands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Intended to inflame or insult would suggest that I deliberatly set out to upset you.

I did no such thing.
    Again, as I said, it wasnt intended to offend.

whether or not you intended to insult anyone is irrelevant. In fact its the LCD when it comes to defending any insulting remarks.

Dave Moss: We don't gotta sit here and listen to this.
    Blake: You CERTAINLY don't pal, 'cause the good news is - you're *banned*.

togster wrote: »
    Ban deserved IMO. You intentionally meant to incense. Its the christianity forum afterall :rolleyes: These arguments of whats a zombie are irrelevant tbh and you are trying to reconcile the irreconciable (sic?)

10 Hail Marys :p

Believe me if I had intentionally meant to incense I would have been a lot more scathing.

as for it being the christianity forum, so what? there are a dozen arguments in there a day in which people clearly state that God does not exist or they outright call him/her/it as mass murdering child but I have yet to hear of a single ban for that.

This is a case of a mod over reacting because his personal feelings clouded his judgement. A reaction rather than a considered decision.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    whether or not you intended to insult anyone is irrelevant. In fact its the LCD when it comes to defending any insulting remarks.

Dave Moss: We don't gotta sit here and listen to this.
    Blake: You CERTAINLY don't pal, 'cause the good news is - you're *banned*.

Fine. Then implement the rule for everyone rather than as an excuse to not deal with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Fine. Then implement the rule for everyone rather than as an excuse to not deal with someone.

So you are really trying the 'Boo Hoo it's not fair other people said mean things too' defense ?

Challenging christianty and it's doctrine are allowed with in the forum, many people who are not christian and disagree manage to do so with out causing offense and with out making comments which a designed to inflame or with out the cop on to know what comments will inflame.

If you really did not think that your comment was offensive well guess what you have learned something and to make sure you remember the lesson you have been banned for a length of time to make sure you don't do the same again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Chief i agree, some moderation on boards is poor at times and there is plenty of inconsistency.

But you hardly made your JC post with the intention of highlighting this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Believe me if I had intentionally meant to incense I would have been a lot more scathing.

as for it being the christianity forum, so what? there are a dozen arguments in there a day in which people clearly state that God does not exist or they outright call him/her/it as mass murdering child but I have yet to hear of a single ban for that.

This is a case of a mod over reacting because his personal feelings clouded his judgement. A reaction rather than a considered decision.

Yeah of course there are people who say that he does/does not exsist. You overstepped the mark though. A jewish zombie=a jew who rose from the dead, i guess this is what you meant? Why didn't you simply say that.?

So you are really trying the 'Boo Hoo it's not fair other people said mean things too' defense ?

Challenging christianty and it's doctrine are allowed with in the forum, many people who are not christian and disagree manage to do so with out causing offense and with out making comments which a designed to inflame or with out the cop on to know what comments will inflame.

If you really did not think that your comment was offensive well guess what you have learned something and to make sure you remember the lesson you have been banned for a length of time to make sure you don't do the same again.

Whos making personal comments now eh?

I havent been a cry-baby abot this. I am genuinely challengingthe decision on the basis that it is reactionary, personally motivated, irrational, excessive, biased and hypocritical.

You know full well the kinds of comments that are made in that forum without eyebrows being raised. You also know full well that no offense or attempt to troll was intended. You have been there often enough to understand what an argument of absurdity is.

As for "length of time" no information has been given to me regarding that. as for learning Oh great teacher of forumites, I have only learned that some mods wield their modly powers without much consideration or thought.

I again point out;

The post was in context.

The post was intended to be read as it was written, as an aburdity.

Posters are treated with different degree's of tolerance depending on the mod's personal opinion of them or their arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The-Rigger wrote: »
    l_99e9b56709a01c818e4693fa4e39a092.jpg
    Oh well done.. you went and looked up images after 6th mentioned they existed. Keep up the good work.

I don't believe the serpent is specified as being a snake in the Bible though. But seeing as we're just being facetious I guess changing the details is okay.

Chief i agree, some moderation on boards is poor at times and there is plenty of inconsistency.

But you hardly made your JC post with the intention of highlighting this point?

No, the post was meant to highlight the absurdity of the Christ mythos, which was part and parcel of the conversation.

I have aid that if people are really that offended then I apologise for that, but I didnt write the story I merely commented on it.

togster wrote: »
    Yeah of course there are people who say that he does/does not exsist. You overstepped the mark though. A jewish zombie=a jew who rose from the dead, i guess this is what you meant? Why didn't you simply say that.?

Because it doesnt have quite the same literary ring. I was making an arugment of absurdity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't mind being called a Jewish zombie. Let him back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    I don't mind being called a Jewish zombie. Let him back in.

You heard the man/zombie!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Oh well done.. you went and looked up images after 6th mentioned they existed. Keep up the good work.

Indeed, 6th suggested googling it, being the curious fellow I am, I did just that! I saw some results I liked and posted them.

Actually the last picture I posted 'Zombie Last Supper' was quite the hit.

I don't believe the serpent is specified as being a snake in the Bible though. But seeing as we're just being facetious I guess changing the details is okay.
    Take out the snake bit and the rest of the bible is highly plausible. :rolleyes:

Do you need a hug monkeyfudge?

No, the post was meant to highlight the absurdity of the Christ mythos, which was part and parcel of the conversation.

I have aid that if people are really that offended then I apologise for that, but I didnt write the story I merely commented on it.

its like this, while there probably is a time and place to talk about it, if you are indeed not acting the muppet, boards is rarely that place when it comes to the more sensitive topics.

You'd hardly turn up at "bible school sunday for kiddies" to raise the question at the local parish or at "ladies novena day at the parochial house" either

Whos making personal comments now eh?

I havent been a cry-baby abot this. I am genuinely challengingthe decision on the basis that it is reactionary, personally motivated, irrational, excessive, biased and hypocritical.

You give out that I used the term Boohoo as a personal comment but you feel free to slander and berate and belittle the mod of that forum ? :rolleyes:
    As for "length of time" no information has been given to me regarding that.

It could be that the mod considered you to be a troll given the nature of the comment. Did you pm him and state that you were not.
    A pm to hims stating

I have said that if people are really that offended then I apologise for that, but I didn't write the story I merely commented on it.

Would have gone a long way to solve this rather then personal attacks on him and the slandering of all mods which this thread has contained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

If there's a thread on whether or not Jesus exists, then it certainly invites the type of comments which will offende devout christians. I don't think it should offend a grown adult.

It was a quality line though. Made me laugh my ass off. AND I go to church :P

its like this, while there probably is a time and place to talk about it, if you are indeed not acting the muppet, boards is rarely that place when it comes to the more sensitive topics.

You'd hardly turn up at "bible school sunday for kiddies" to raise the question at the local parish or at "ladies novena day at the parochial house" either

That would be fine if the topic had not been a debate over the historical evidence and liklihood of the existance of a biblical Christ.

I'm not unreasonable, I can admit when I make a mistake, however, in the context of the thread it was in and the tone of a hundred other threads on that forum I do not believe that I have done anything wrong.

It was an argument of absurdity in a qualified context.

• Advertisement

That would be fine if the topic had not been a debate over the historical evidence and liklihood of the existance of a biblical Christ.

I'm not unreasonable, I can admit when I make a mistake, however, in the context of the thread it was in and the tone of a hundred other threads on that forum I do not believe that I have done anything wrong.

It was an argument of absurdity in a qualified context.

If the discussion was in the history and heritage forum or the mythology forum then the absurdity would not have been considered a breach of the charter there and you would not have gotten a ban.

But it wasn't there it was in one of the forums about people faith and religious beliefs which have different rules then the secular forums on boards.

You give out that I used the term Boohoo as a personal comment but you feel free to slander and berate and belittle the mod of that forum ? :rolleyes:.

Its only slander or libel if its not true.

It could be that the mod considered you to be a troll given the nature of the comment. Did you pm him and state that you were not.
    A pm to hims statingthe facts are

Consider two things 1) I did not know that I needed to and 2) the tone of his message was personal and left nothing to the imagination.

Would have gone a long way to solve this rather then personal attacks on him and the slandering of all mods which this thread has contained.

I havent made personal attacks, I have attacked his capability as a mod. I, for example, didnt call him a troll. This thread has not slandared all mods, I raised a point of contention that the excercise of power is not consistant and that certain mods maybe using that power for personal reasons rather than to ensure the proper order of a forum.

If the discussion was in the history and heritage forum or the mythology forum then the absurdity would not have been considered a breach of the charter there and you would not have gotten a ban.

But it wasn't there it was in one of the forums about people faith and religious beliefs which have different rules then the secular forums on boards.

Fine. Then ban everyone who has called god a murderer or has made light of Christianities inconsistencies or has poked fun at any religious figure or icon.

Consistency.

Consider two things 1) I did not know that I needed to

Well now you do.

and 2) the tone of his message was personal and left nothing to the imagination.

If you have an issue with the pm that was received and feel it was personal and personally abusive then I would suggest that you start a helpdesk thread and forward it to one of the smods to review it. Personal abuse in pms is a matter which is taken seriously.

I havent made personal attacks, I have attacked his capability as a mod.

I disagree.
    This thread has not slandared all mods, I raised a point of contention that the excercise of power is not consistant

Mod are people not robots and posters have to play their part by reporting posts which break the charter of the forums which they are in.
    and that certain mods maybe using that power for personal reasons rather than to ensure the proper order of a forum.

Well if you can't prove that any mods do that then it is slander.
    Mod that do abuse their power and positions are taken to task and demodded if it can be proved.

You were banned in line with the charter of the forum, can you prove it was personally motivated to the extent that the mod was over reaching ?
    Fine. Then ban everyone who has called god a murderer or has made light of Christianities inconsistencies or has poked fun at any religious figure or icon.

Consistency.

Dissent is allowed on the forum other wise there would be no discussion,
    but it has to be respectful dissent, stating that Jesus was a jewish zombie in that forum is not respectful dissent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Consistency.
    Did you report them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

humanji wrote: »
    Did you report them?

I doubt they offended the man who called jesus a jewish zombie lol

Well now you do.

Well thats helpful. Hindsight, terrible thing, all of that.

I disagree.

Mod are people not robots and posters have to play their part by reporting posts which break the charter of the forums which they are in.

Point is I didnt.

I didnt make a personal comment about anyone. I referred to a fictional character as a jewish zombie (which is the argument of absurdity) and compared him to other fictional characters such as Hercules.
    Well if you can't prove that any mods do that then it is slander.
    Mod that do abuse their power and positions are taken to task and demodded if it can be proved.

Hypocirsy is proven by browsing the thread suing the parameters I have stated.. The issue of it being a personal beef is evidenced by the terse manner and reactionary tact that the mod took.
    You were banned in line with the charter of the forum, can you prove it was personally motivated to the extent that the mod was over reaching ?

I was banned for what amounts to be personally offended on the behalf of a fictional character. Instead of a warning, instead of a pm - I was banned outright for making an argument of absurdity and equivalence in a thread in which such a comment was on topic. The only option here is that either the mod is daft or he has a personal issue.
    Dissent is allowed on the forum other wise there would be no discussion,
    but it has to be respectful dissent, stating that Jesus was a jewish zombie in that forum is not respectful dissent.

Tell you what, you show me how manking a comment about a jew who rose from the dead is worse than outright calling someones deity of choice a murderer, condoner of rape, child molestation, genocide and a bunch of other things that have been said without reproach then I will agree with you.

I am respectful in every way that is required, the ban is the reaction of a personal issue either with me or with atheists. I do not go in and start shouting that "All christians are stupid kiddy-fiddlers" if I did that I should be banned. I did not, I made an argument of absurdity and equating Christ (as a fictional character) to Hercules.

Lastly, what else would you describe Jesus as? A sorcerer? A b*stard child of a deity?

humanji wrote: »
    Did you report them?

Why would I? Surely the mods-guided-by-gods-hand-against-zombie-dissenters should have spotted it no?

I didnt make a personal comment about anyone. I referred to a fictional character as a jewish zombie (which is the argument of absurdity) and compared him to other fictional characters such as Hercules.

To you he is a fictional characters, on the context of that forums and the christians that post there he is not. If you were to call him a fictional character you would not have gotten banned it was the offensive nature of you post which got you banned.

I was banned for what amounts to be personally offended on the behalf of a fictional character. Instead of a warning, instead of a pm - I was banned outright for making an argument of absurdity and equivalence in a thread in which such a comment was on topic. The only option here is that either the mod is daft or he has a personal issue.

No, while the mod is a person of faith he was acting with in the remit of the charter. The mod acted with in the charter and the ethos of the forum the charter backs up the mod action, end of. That is way things work around here.
    Tell you what, you show me how manking a comment about a jew who rose from the dead is worse than outright calling someones deity of choice a murderer, condoner of rape, child molestation, genocide and a bunch of other things that have been said without reproach then I will agree with you.

Questioning the judgment calls and actions of that God can be respectfully dissenting, using the comments dead jew on a stick or zombie jew is not respectfully dissenting.
    I am respectful in every way that is required, the ban is the reaction of a personal issue either with me or with atheists. I do not go in and start shouting that "All christians are stupid kiddy-fiddlers" if I did that I should be banned. I did not, I made an argument of absurdity and equating Christ (as a fictional character) to Hercules.

Some people fictional characters are other peoples gods, really if you were to try that line in the paganism forum you would be smiled at and told ok if you believe that fair enough, if you were to post in the paganism forum with comments along the lines of zombie jew you could well get banned or worse be not banned and severally mocked.

You have to accept that the forums with in the religious grouping are bout people living their faith not the accedemic dry dicussion of those religions.
    Lastly, what else would you describe Jesus as? A sorcerer? A b*stard child of a deity?

My personal opinions would about that would not be posted in the Christianity forum as they would be better suited to the conspiracy forum or the paganism forum.

• Advertisement

Why would I? Surely the mods-guided-by-gods-hand-against-zombie-dissenters should have spotted it no?

At this stage you are just being insulting, trolling and blowing smoke.
    Enjoy your ban.

Advertisement