Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair ban from Christianity forum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Thae,

Have you even read the thread in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Thaedydal wrote: »
    At this stage you are just being insulting, trolling and blowing smoke.
    Enjoy your ban.

Well thats hardly helpful is it. The guy is entitled to post here. In most of your feedback posts you seem to love confrontation and baiting. By the way OP i still think you were wrong but im not goin to rub the ban in your face.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thae,

Have you even read the thread in question?

Yes I read the Christianity form on and off and your antagonistic style of posting certainly didn't do you any favors. Indeed you opening salvo int the thread was
    I usually get myself into trouble for things like this but, are y'all nuts?

You comment about zombie jew happened after a mod and a cat mod had issued warning and personally I would have warned if not banned you for demanding jesus' fossils.
    togster wrote: »
    Well thats hardly helpful is it. The guy is entitled to post here. In most of your feedback posts you seem to love confrontation and baiting. By the way OP i still think you were wrong but im not goin to rub the ban in your face.;)

Togster I have tried to be helpful and tried to explain and I am done trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why would I? Surely the mods-guided-by-gods-hand-against-zombie-dissenters should have spotted it no?

Unlike their god, they are not all-seeing. That's why the report button is there. You seem to want the mods to do something about these "rogue" posts, yet when they did it to you, you complained. No pleasing some people. [Life Of Brian]"That's just what Jesus said![/Life Of Brian]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Yes I read the Christianity form on and off and your antagonistic style of posting certainly didn't do you any favors. Indeed you opening salvo int the thread was

Fair point. I shouldn't have stuck me oar in,

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Unlike their god, they are not all-seeing. That's why the report button is there. You seem to want the mods to do something about these "rogue" posts, yet when they did it to you, you complained. No pleasing some people. [Life Of Brian]"That's just what Jesus said![/Life Of Brian]

thats not what I asked for.

My point is that if they were enacting a course of action in other cases like this than fine, but they havent. The mod over reacted to my comment and blew it totally out of proportion.

It is a double standard and frankly, its not up to me to be offended on other peoples behalf for other peoples posts.

You comment about zombie jew happened after a mod and a cat mod had issued warning and personally I would have warned if not banned you for demanding jesus' fossils.

right, so you will retract the "its not an academic discussion" then? Otherwise you are talking out of your hat.

Secondly, I got no warning at all. I am entitled to ask for evidence

edit: Asking for the fossil was again and argument of absurdity done witha certain sense of humour.

As for my initial comments, I'm not sure what it was in reponse to or what the context was off the top of my head but on reflection I could have been quieter about it I'm sure.

My points still stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Meh you were trolling in any case, with inflammatory comments. I've been banned from paranoid psyc... err, paranormal several times for trying to liven up the discussion. Take it like a man. Oh and for those fine christians mortally offended by his comment:

not-persecuted.jpg

It is as much of an academic discussion as is possible with in the remit of the charter and the ethos of the forum, if you want a better one pick a forum where it will have more scope with out those restrictions.

There were warning on the thread, you do not need to be afforded a personal warning.
    Where a poster has severely breached the charter the mods do not have to issue a warning what so ever.
    The charter (rules) of the Christianity board

1. The purpose of this board is to discuss Christian belief in general, and specific elements of it, between Christians and non-Christians alike. It has the additional purpose of being a point on boards.ie where Christians may ask other Christians questions about their shared faith.
    2. In keeping with that purpose, please be honest about your faith where it makes a clear difference to your answer. This isn't "Personal Issues"... if a person comes here with a problem, it is probably because they think a Christian answer will be more relevant to them. This is not to discourage non-Christians replying, it is simply a matter of courtesy.
    3. Arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." will not be tolerated. Don't start off with a conclusion which your audience is bound to disagree with!
    4. Crazy fundamentalist bigotry will not be tolerated. Remember, God loves every one of his children.
    5. If anyone wants to post up an event or something like it as a sticky, PM me the details. This will be provided as an information service, not as an endorsement.
    6. Unreasonable antagonism to particular Christian churches (typically but not always Catholicism) will not be tolerated.
    7. Do not post anything intended to inflame or insult. This is meant to be a place of debate where you can challenge ideas all you like but don't go outside boundaries of taste or decency and don't get personal.

You are expected to read the charter of each forum before you post in it and you are expected to abide by the charter rules when posting and to respect the ethos of the forum.

for demanding jesus' fossils.

roffel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah that got me too!

It is as much of an academic discussion as is possible with in the remit of the charter and the ethos of the forum, if you want a better one pick a forum where it will have more scope with out those restrictions.

There were warning on the thread, you do not need to be afforded a personal warning.
    Where a poster has severely breached the charter the mods do not have to issue a warning what so ever.

You are expected to read the charter of each forum before you post in it and you are expected to abide by the charter rules when posting and to respect the ethos of the forum.

I again state, I did not break the rules. I came into the conversation and asked for evidence and repeatedly stated my position.

I received no warnings nor saw any directed to me.

I directed no personal insults.

My points stand.

Well if you don't get how the christianity forum works and you don't want to agree to the rules in the charter then you should not post there and just as well you are banned.
    Welcome to mordethland.

You want everyone to be treated equally, yet you make fun of peoples beliefs? Do you want equality, or equality on your terms?

You insulted Christianity. I can't see how you didn't think you would offend people, but you say you didn't. Regardless, it's against the charter and you were banned. When you look through the Christianity forum, there are many people who don't believe in a god, who post there. The difference is, the majority know not to insult peoples beliefs. They question parts of religions, but few go all out declaring that there is no god, and stating it as fact, which you did (and I point out again, is against the charter).

Everyone else in the forum (apart from the odd muppet) can live in harmony, why can't you? You made some valid points on the thread in question, but you handled yourself poorly. Compare your posts with those of the posters you want banned for the sake of justice. They debated their points, you just seemed like you were trying to shout down the opposition.

The ban may have been a little harsh, but take it like a man and move on. It's not a personal vedetta against you.

I usually get myself into trouble for things like this but, are y'all nuts?

Hmmm, you just insulted every Christian on earth. Much better. And then you went on to dismiss their entire belief system:
    I'm not saying dont believe in Christ, believe what you want to even if it is irrational and illogical, just be honest enough to say that you cant proove it and you believe it because it is preferable to the alternative (we live in a cold, uncaring and non-human-centric universe, there is no god and the only immortality is the procreation of ones genetics).

You want everyone to be treated equally, yet you make fun of peoples beliefs? Do you want equality, or equality on your terms?

You insulted Christianity. I can't see how you didn't think you would offend people, but you say you didn't. Regardless, it's against the charter and you were banned. When you look through the Christianity forum, there are many people who don't believe in a god, who post there. The difference is, the majority know not to insult peoples beliefs. They question parts of religions, but few go all out declaring that there is no god, and stating it as fact, which you did (and I point out again, is against the charter).

Everyone else in the forum (apart from the odd muppet) can live in harmony, why can't you? You made some valid points on the thread in question, but you handled yourself poorly. Compare your posts with those of the posters you want banned for the sake of justice. They debated their points, you just seemed like you were trying to shout down the opposition.

The ban may have been a little harsh, but take it like a man and move on. It's not a personal vedetta against you.

I can and do conduct myself in a manner within the rules, that some people choose to view a sense of humour or bluntness as being offensive is their business.

I made no personal attacks. I did not call any person on the board a name.

My personal opinion and stance are well known and required no further explanation.

If chrisitianity was insulted then, in fairness, the thread should have been closed. You cannot discuss such a concept in such a context wihtout insulting someone, somewhere for somoe reason.

As for equality, I am asking that the same rules be applied to everyone in the same way. If that means that the ban stays, then fine, so long as there is consistency. I again reiterate: Calling god a monsterous murderer is far worse than making an argument of absurdity and equivalence by stating Jesus is what the story portrays him as, namely, a member of the jewish faith who had been raised from the dead. A jewish zombie.

There are plenty of regular posters who do not get banned for directly accusing the religion of various crimes, some are subtle others are blunt but they are all saying the same thing.

I understand what you are saying Humanji but I dont agree.

Hmmm, you just insulted every Christian on earth. Much better. And then you went on to dismiss their entire belief system:

Ehhhh ... I'm not the only one saying stuff to that effect.

It was within the context of the topic anyway. Again, I dont see where the issue is unless you are saying that the discussion should not have been allowed.

Show me where the parameters were for the title "proof of jesus existing"

As it stands I said "if what you believe is illogical and irrational" which it is, manyu of the theist posters have said as much. Asking people to admit that it makes them feel better than the alternative does not discount the possibility of believing it is true. It simply states that they prefer it to the alternative, which is a cold and uncaring universe.

(edited because i pushed the wrong button).

The charter (rules) of the Christianity board

1. The purpose of this board is to discuss Christian belief in general, and specific elements of it, between Christians and non-Christians alike. It has the additional purpose of being a point on boards.ie where Christians may ask other Christians questions about their shared faith.
    2. In keeping with that purpose, please be honest about your faith where it makes a clear difference to your answer. This isn't "Personal Issues"... if a person comes here with a problem, it is probably because they think a Christian answer will be more relevant to them. This is not to discourage non-Christians replying, it is simply a matter of courtesy.
    3. Arguments such as "There is no God, therefore..." or "The Bible is full of contradictions, therefore..." will not be tolerated. Don't start off with a conclusion which your audience is bound to disagree with!
    4. Crazy fundamentalist bigotry will not be tolerated. Remember, God loves every one of his children.
    5. If anyone wants to post up an event or something like it as a sticky, PM me the details. This will be provided as an information service, not as an endorsement.
    6. Unreasonable antagonism to particular Christian churches (typically but not always Catholicism) will not be tolerated.
    7. Do not post anything intended to inflame or insult. This is meant to be a place of debate where you can challenge ideas all you like but don't go outside boundaries of taste or decency and don't get personal.

these are the main issues people seem to have.

I didnt start out a topic with "god doesnt exist get over it" - I asked for people to show me the evidence. I admit that I may have been ascerbic but thats hardly a crime? My comments "this usually gets me into trouble" is a reference to the usual flames I receive in response to my posts whether they are soft or blunt.

Ididnt post with the intention of flaming or insulting anyone, I posted a valid argument and demand for proof to be given (which is indicated by the title of the thread). I didnt get personal with anyone, I made an argument of absurdity and equality and people became offended on the behalf of a character from a story that they believe to be true. Whether they belileve or not was not the topic, whether there was proof or not was.

I received no warnings (unless I am meant to be telepathically picking them up from the ether). I received no PM's.

If I had been contacted and asked to change the post as it is offensive to some of delicate sensibilities I would have done so. Instead I received a ban and was told "name calling of the worst sort" ... which can only lead one to believe that describing something accurately is frowned upon.

A dozen posts a day at least declare that god does not exist or at the very least implies it on that very forum, as I have said some are more and some are less impassioned that I am, but many of them do not get bans and many of those that do have recieved warnings.

Either the rules are enforced as they are written, in which case I can easily point out that I made no personal comment and attacked no one (unless you consider the questions an attack in which case close the thread) or you interpret them as and how you like thus negating the point of having a charter.

Again, if you were offended by my reference to the biblical account of Jesus Christ as a "Jewish Zombie" then I apologise, I never intended to hurt or upset you.

If you are offended by my request to see "jesus' fossil" then I again apologise for the same reasons.

I will not apologise for saying them however because they are entirely legitimate questions considering the topic.

Repeatedly telling me to "be a man" etc isnt doing anything for this argument by the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think you may of personally insulted Jesus calling him a zombie, you certainly would of insulted Christians. Religious forums are there so you can discuss your religion without having to put up with Jibes.

If your not able to conduct yourself without getting a cheap poke in, then your better off banned from there. Take it to another forum.

This is coming from someone who scores 6 on the PAP scale.

Trying to argue further with "rules" is just making you case worse.

Hobbes wrote: »
    I think you may of personally insulted Jesus calling him a zombie, you certainly would of insulted Christians. Religious forums are there so you can discuss your religion without having to put up with Jibes.

If your not able to conduct yourself without getting a cheap poke in, then your better off banned from there. Take it to another forum.

This is coming from someone who scores 6 on the PAP scale.

Trying to argue further with "rules" is just making you case worse.

I only pointed out that the reason I was given for being banned doesnt make sense.

Second, if Jesus has a problem, where's the PM?

The problem is that "Christians" is a broad term. Fundamentalists arent permitted according to the charter but are they not even more "christian" than the guy who banned me?

• Advertisement

Sorry but why is Zombie an insult?

Second, if Jesus has a problem, where's the PM?

I'm sure he'll be along any minute now.

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    I don't mind being called a Jewish zombie. Let him back in.

Straight from the horses mouth.

Lick image for full story:

onion_news1209.article.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hivemind187.
    I actually sympathise with your predicament, but you did deserve your ban. Not for the reasons stated, but for not realising there is no humour in the christianity forum. You can argue the point back and forth and will never get any satisfaction - sit out your ban (how long is it?) and reapply for admission if you want it, when it's up.

None of the fora that discuss beliefs seem to have a sense of humour, and furthermore tend to have it in their charter that you may not question their beliefs. I'm thinking particularly of the aforementioned christianity, but also paranormal. The only one I can think of with a rational charter in this matter is spirituality, modded by Thaedydal - strangely a strong defender of the christianity charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Perhaps the Christian forum should only be for Christians ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

tuxy wrote: »

Couldn't argue with that.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    and furthermore tend to have it in their charter that you may not question their beliefs. I'm thinking particularly of the aforementioned christianity, but also paranormal.
    It makes for an interesting debating environment however. I came within an ace of getting some witches and wizards to admit that there was no evidence that they were not full of crap (while staying within the charter) before I got banned the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

tuxy wrote: »

Why should it be? It's there for people to use, and to discuss things. It's not, however, too much to ask for people to be mindful of what is and isn't allowed there which may differ vastly from what is and is not acceptable on another forum. Different horses for different courses etc., etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hivemind187.
    I actually sympathise with your predicament, but you did deserve your ban. Not for the reasons stated, but for not realising there is no humour in the christianity forum. You can argue the point back and forth and will never get any satisfaction - sit out your ban (how long is it?) and reapply for admission if you want it, when it's up.

None of the fora that discuss beliefs seem to have a sense of humour, and furthermore tend to have it in their charter that you may not question their beliefs. I'm thinking particularly of the aforementioned christianity, but also paranormal. The only one I can think of with a rational charter in this matter is spirituality, modded by Thaedydal - strangely a strong defender of the christianity charter.

Actually nipplenuts. We do have a sense of humour in Christianity. It just does not involve slagging any one.

We have posters that are consistently questioning the belief system of Christianity.

Your impressions are wrong on both counts.

Both Thaedydal and myself have shown which parts of the charter were broken.

The ban stands.

Advertisement