Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair ban from Christianity forum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Actually nipplenuts. We do have a sense of humour in Christianity. It just does not involve slagging any one.

We have posters that are consistently questioning the belief system of Christianity.

Your impressions are wrong on both counts.

Both Thaedydal and myself have shown which parts of the charter were broken.

The ban stands.

The implementation of the rules was an arbitrary interpretation. You could have given a warning. You could have PM'd and asked me to change it. You didnt.

Further, no one was slagged off. It is an absurd literalist description of the character depicted in the Bible - that you dont like it is the real issue here I think.

Honestly, I asked for a fossil as archaeological evidence, the same way you would ask for a fossil of the missing link etc I used the phraze "Jewish Zombie" as a deliberate absudity to illustrate how the Biblical account is intrinsically the same as, for example, Hercules or many of the characters from the illiad. If you were really that offended, you need have only asked and I would have changed it.

Instead, without warning and in an over zealous interpretation of your rules (because jesus was not a person involved in the discussion himself and therefore no one got slagged off) you banned me.

Frankly, had you the sense of humour you claimed to this would never have been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

The implementation of the rules was an arbitrary interpretation. .
    No it wasn't, you have been shown where the charter was broken.
    You could have given a warning..
    Yes I could have.
    You could have PM'd and asked me to change it. You didnt.
    Yes I could have and didn't.
    Further, no one was slagged off..
    I never said any one was in this instance. I was replying to someone elses post and their perception of the Christian board and my perception of humour on other threads, which may or may not be accurate depictions.
    It is an absurd literalist description of the character depicted in the Bible - that you dont like it is the real issue here I think.
    No it is your absurd literalist description of someone who is alive and well. And that is not the reason you were banned. Both Thaedydal and myself have attempted ad nauseum to show which charter rules yoy broke. If you can't see that, there isn't much we can do about it.

Honestly, I asked for a fossil as archaeological evidence, the same way you would ask for a fossil of the missing link etc I used the phraze "Jewish Zombie" as a deliberate absudity to illustrate how the Biblical account is intrinsically the same as, for example, Hercules or many of the characters from the illiad. If you were really that offended, you need have only asked and I would have changed it..
    As you say 'deliberate'. How can you not see that such a comment would inflame and insult?
    Instead, without warning and in an over zealous interpretation of your rules (because jesus was not a person involved in the discussion himself and therefore no one got slagged off) you banned me..
    Not my rules, but rules that we all have adhered to since coming on the boards. You still fail to see that you were banned because of your deliberate attempt to insult or inflame.
    Frankly, had you the sense of humour you claimed to this would never have been an issue.
    I do have quite the sense of humour. You may ask people that I hang out with on a regular basis.

My humour does not include deliberately trying to inflame and insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

As an atheist I have to say I agree with the ban. You were being a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

What a terrible injustice you have suffered. To the European Court of Justice! It may take many years and millions of Euro, but as your lawyer, Hivemind, I can say with confidence that you you will eventually be allowed back into the forum to continue slipping in your *cough* unintentionally *cough* snide remarks.

I'm quite sure you are feigning ignorance at the potential offence you believed your remarks could have caused. The term 'Zombie Jesus' is offensive to some Christians! Waaaah? :eek: Really, how could anyone possibly be insulted by me asking for a couple of fossils of Jesus? :confused:

Deep down you intended to inflame and insult, and that's what you did. Admittedly, the term didn't bother me too much as I think I've developed a mental filter that prevents this stuff getting through - kind of like those blue guards you see in urinals. I'm all for puerile humour when it's done well - this wasn't. In your attempts to paint yourself as a victim you actually cement the fact that you are anything but.

Poor didums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Hivemind187 that post was clearly designed to be inflammatory, it comes across as an attempt at mocking other people's personal faith simply because you don't adhere to it yourself.
    The fact that you wander into a forum where Christians peacefully discuss their faith without imposing upon others, just to create this offense, says a lot. That ban was completely deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

tuxy wrote: »
    Perhaps the Christian forum should only be for Christians ?
    I disagree.
    I occasionally pop in there with a question about the bible.
    I always get a decent and polite answer.
    Not always the one I want, but a decent one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DapperGent wrote: »

As an agnostic I must say I agree with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There's nothing in the Feedback charter about blasphemy so:

c99d28413f22.jpg

But anyway, in AH it would be grand to say something like that but in the Christianity forum throwing a phrase like "zombie Jesus" around is clearly acting the bollix. Take your ban like a man!

Tuxy wrote: »
    Perhaps the Christian forum should only be for Christians ?

This was mentioned before, but was rejected by Christians and non-Christians alike. The forum isn't an exclusive club. Anyone is welcome to discuss almost any issue they have with regards to Christianity. I say 'almost' - a topic along the lines of 'Christianity is Ghey. Discuss' wouldn't be welcomed by the mods, I'd imagine. Civility, whether in your day-to-day interaction with people or on a forum, helps things go a great deal smoother.

No it wasn't, you have been shown where the charter was broken.

And I have given you are argument against it which you havent overturned.
    Yes I could have.

Glad to see you can admit fault.
    Yes I could have and didn't.

And here.
    I never said any one was in this instance. I was replying to someone elses post and their perception of the Christian board and my perception of humour on other threads, which may or may not be accurate depictions.

It was a direct reference to my post and it was the basis for your decision to ban. You accused me of name calling. I have shown quite clearly that I didnt.
    No it is your absurd literalist description of someone who is alive and well. And that is not the reason you were banned. Both Thaedydal and myself have attempted ad nauseum to show which charter rules yoy broke. If you can't see that, there isn't much we can do about it.

You believe Christ is alive and well? great! Did he PM you? Was he directly insulted? Maybe he can come onto the board and explain a few things, like why you are saying you didnt ban me for my "jewish zombie" comment now when that was your opening statement and the crux (indeed the single point) of you PM informing me? You banned me for stating that Jesus was a)Jewish (which he was) and B) a zombie, which if you take it that he rose from the dead, started walking around and chatting he may very well have been.

Again, it was an argument of absurdism and equivalency. You had other options. You didnt explore them.
    As you say 'deliberate'. How can you not see that such a comment would inflame and insult?

The answer is in the question. By its very absurdity it is obviously not meant to be taken seriously.
    Not my rules, but rules that we all have adhered to since coming on the boards. You still fail to see that you were banned because of your deliberate attempt to insult or inflame.

You can keep banging that drum all you like its not going to make a different note. There was no deliberate attempt to insult any individual on the board nor to inflame anything. It is a valid comment in the context of the conversation - a point you refuse to aknowledge because if you do it undermines your decision to ban.

I do have quite the sense of humour. You may ask people that I hang out with on a regular basis.

My humour does not include deliberately trying to inflame and insult.

So now you bring up peolpe that cant be indentified or spoken to or even verified ... a familiar tactic.

You can say what you like BC, the fact is that the comment was meant with humour, other people can see that and it is your personal beliefs and attidues that are the issue.

If you will admit that then I will drop this.

• Advertisement

What a terrible injustice you have suffered. To the European Court of Justice! It may take many years and millions of Euro, but as your lawyer, Hivemind, I can say with confidence that you you will eventually be allowed back into the forum to continue slipping in your *cough* unintentionally *cough* snide remarks.

I'm quite sure you are feigning ignorance at the potential offence you believed your remarks could have caused. The term 'Zombie Jesus' is offensive to some Christians! Waaaah? :eek: Really, how could anyone possibly be insulted by me asking for a couple of fossils of Jesus? :confused:

Deep down you intended to inflame and insult, and that's what you did. Admittedly, the term didn't bother me too much as I think I've developed a mental filter that prevents this stuff getting through - kind of like those blue guards you see in urinals. I'm all for puerile humour when it's done well - this wasn't. In your attempts to paint yourself as a victim you actually cement the fact that you are anything but.

Poor didums!

Sorry was there a point to this personal abuse or are you just venting spleen?

Actually, its surprising how many of the posts here read as though they are written by people who havent actually read the thread in question.

Ah well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It's Feedback, such is the nature of the beast.

I haven't read the thread in it's entirety, and I still call troll.

You can take that whatever way you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

100 bonus points for the first lol jesus cat pic.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thaedydal wrote: »
    100 bonus points for the first lol jesus cat pic.....

lol-jesus-brb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

lolcat-faith-heealer.jpg

Don't take my overt sarcasm as a personal attack. My point, though strongly made, was to highlight that you did cause offence to someone - something that you have barely acknowledged - yet you still cant bring yourself to approach an understanding as to why you could possibly be banned. Far be it from me to accuse you of spin - maybe you actually do sincerely believe that you are a victim here :confused:

I really can't see why you didn't accept this ban and then come back refreshed - like a 2 week holiday in Spain. Anyway, this thread is a carbon copy of the 'poor me' post from the another poster (no names mentioned) a good few months back. If I was you I would take a look at that to see the outcome of this thread and save us all the trouble.

Woof!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Hobbes wrote: »
    I think you may of personally insulted Jesus calling him a zombie,.

jesus doesnt read boards.ie
    he's a Something AWful fan.
    Hobbes wrote: »
    you certainly would of insulted Christians.

they should turn their other other cheek :)

see, islamics are actually a lot more tolerant than christians. christians get up on their high horse about fuking everything, and refuse to debate anything that isnt on their terms.

nothing at all to do with this perticular thread or argument, just a passing observation.

spdronsj.jpg

its the buddy christ!!!
    alanis morrisette as god....brilliance

nerin wrote: »
    its the buddy christ!!!
    alanis morrisette as god....brilliance
    You get the 100 bonus points for the Jesus lol cat pic.
    Another 100 if you can find me the song she sings at the end of Dogma.

No, I will not get up off my arse and put on the dvd.

• Advertisement

is it Still?
    think thats the one

nerin wrote: »
    is it Still?
    think thats the one
    That's the one.
    Cheers.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUqXAEC_nTU

yay 200 hundred boards points,yesh yesh :)
    and your very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DapperGent wrote: »
    nesf wrote: »
    And as someone who, deep down, has some kind of a belief in some kind of a God, but who is highly allergic to any kind of rigid "we know everything" organised religion, I also agree with the above.

Your comment wouldn't offend me personally. In another context it might in fact have made me smile. But I don't think it is appropriate to post it in that forum ... that's just trolling.

Despite my antipathy to organised religion, I wouldn't walk into a church or any other place where Christians gather, and start insulting them ... any more than I would insist on wearing shoes into a mosque, etc.

Neither would I walk into a stranger's house, sit down on the sofa and have a fap.

There is such a thing as basic manners and civilised behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Originally Posted by DapperGent
    Originally Posted by nesf
    Originally Posted by randylonghorn
    And as someone who, deep down, has some kind of a belief in some kind of a God, but who is highly allergic to any kind of rigid "we know everything" organised religion, I also agree with the above.

And in agreement to all the other denominations that have posted here, you also get the Buddhist's agreement too.
    I mean really, there are no fossils of Jesus because he enter up into heaven body and soul. No fossils, all of him went back, so they say, and Zombies can't fly. Humour does not always pan out in religious fora. Accept the vacation and move on, many of your contemporaries did, and are still there to this day.

Asiaprod wrote: »
    And in agreement to all the other denominations that have posted here, you also get the Buddhist's agreement too.
    I mean really, there are no fossils of Jesus because he enter up into heaven body and soul. No fossils, all of him went back, so they say, and Zombies can't fly. Humour does not always pan out in religious fora. Accept the vacation and move on, many of your contemporaries did, and are still there to this day.

Meh ... There are many people who have agreed with my position - including someone purporting to be Jesus (get out of that one Christians!)

As for zombies not flyinig, there are parts of eastern mythology that might disagree with you (plus the whole walking-on-water bit, a hover craft operator is called a pilot for a reason).

Also, we havent heard from the Siekhs, Satanists, Jews or the Hindu's so I'll wait for the final tally thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

I have a question....

If you go into the mustard forum and say to everyone...Mustard is is just a bottle of sh1te and should be sent to hell...would you get banned? Because all of the people in the mustard forum pretty much go in there and worship mustard.

so technically that would be the same fault as Hivemind but most likely you would not get banned?

Is there a set limit to the humour that you can use in each forum? Personally if I even believed in all that bible bashing sh1te I would find that absolutely hilarious, but most Christians being power abusing, sad, child molesting, pedofiles, they don't really understand the whole humour thing i suppose. I suppose its the whole brainwashing once a week thing that causes that.

The ban was bull****. Just catholics trying to censor crap and use the power in misguided places...pack of fanny bandits

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I have a question....

If you go into the mustard forum and say to everyone...Mustard is is just a bottle of sh1te and should be sent to hell...would you get banned? Because all of the people in the mustard forum pretty much go in there and worship mustard.

so technically that would be the same fault as Hivemind but most likely you would not get banned?

Pity you used the mustard forum as an example.....you'd be lucky not to get site banned if you said that in there. Seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Pity you used the mustard forum as an example.....you'd be lucky not to get site banned if you said that in there. Seriously!

well that kind of goes back to hiveminds arguement of inconsistency doesnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Someone employs light-hearted sarcasm towards you, and you interpret as personal abuse.
    You employ light-hearded sarcasm towards Christians, and are outraged it gets interpreted as abuse.

Can you explain how your reaction is acceptable, but that of the Christianity mods not?

Advertisement