Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Passat 1.4Tsi, opinions?

Options
  • 21-11-2007 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Volkswagen has launched, to hit Irish forecourts in early '08, a 1.4Tsi engine for the Passat... Lower tax, lower fuel enconomy, higher bhp than the 1.6fsi (+7)... Will it sell???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Jaysus, never thought they'd put a 1.4 in midsize! I'd say it will sell for the company cars.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think that was a good move by volkswagen.less tax, less insurance and probably light on petrol. Is it a 6 speed or 5??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That was the only question i have the ask... The father was comtemplating trading in his passat, and as this would work out cheaper, for obvious reasons, he said he'd have a look at this... Won't be here till Jan though... But he hates the current six speed in the Passat, very close together gears... If it is five speed, i say bring it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It will still be an ugly,boring style-free car.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I know on paper, the engine is supposed to be powerful, but I had this engine on track in a Golf on Ablington RAF Airfield last month, and it just didn't feel quick at all at low revs. Combine that with the bulk of the pa-sat, and maybe it's not such a good idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd have it over the 1.6 FSI though. it's not meant to be a performance car as such. for VW drivers used to 1.4 Golfs and 1.6 Passats, this will be more than enough.

I'm sure for the market it;s aimed for, except for the one part(the red highline, with monte carlo's and tint from the b post back and 4 motion badges all over them {any1 from limerick will know}), i don't think speed will be big concern. I tried checkin the Golf Gt sport to see what speed but no spec's as of yet. What speed was the one u drove Ned78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

In the UK BIK will be charged at 5% less for the 1.4 litre version than the 1.6 litre version if I have read the tables right.

Some1 tell me what BIK is please:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

BIK - Benefit in kind:Income tax on a company car

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Thanks, CrowdedHouse... All in all i think it will take off, and incomparsion to some other saloons of the same size which are limited to 1.8 petrol, it'll be a real decision maker to have a 1.4...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think they've been offering this engine on the Touran in Ireland for about a year now

They have, i believe, apparently on the jetta aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

We discussed the merits of the 1.4 TSI Passat over the 1.6 FSI in this thread about a month ago.

And the TSI people are talking about thats been in the Jetta, Touran and Golf is not the TSI engine in the Passat.(the new TSI engine in the Passat is being launched in the rest of the VAG range progressively, the VW cars being first, and VW's sister company Audi calls this engine a TFSI)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I think it is 120bhp also?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

vw are also replacing the 2.0fsi inthe passat with an all new 1.8tsi with 160bhp.I d say that would be a better bet for not a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

They need to do something with the 1.9tdi next. Its way underpowered compared to the 2.0tdi. If they had the 1.9tdi set at around 130bhp and the 2.0tdi at 170bhp they'd probably shift alot more.

bbability wrote: »
    They need to do something with the 1.9tdi next. Its way underpowered compared to the 2.0tdi. If they had the 1.9tdi set at around 130bhp and the 2.0tdi at 170bhp they'd probably shift alot more.

The 1.9 is a stong age design. Based on the engine that came out back in the Audi 80 1.9 TDI. It is being replaced by a 2.0 TDI with common rail technology(and is said to be a massive improvement in terms of how much less noise compared to the current PD engines).

The 2.0 TDI is available in 140 and 170 bhp guises. This too is being replaced by the new common rail diesels(which have juist made their debut in the all new Audi A4).

So the Passat should have a whole new range of diesel options in the not too distant future. Though the first VW to benefit from the new Euro 5 common rails will be the Tiguan.

And the 1.8 TSI(which is really a TFSI by the way as it too like the 1.4 TSI in the Passat has no supercharger) is coming at the same time as the 1.4 TSI. Currently found in the just launched Audi A4 too(and in German market Passat's).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E92 wrote: »
    the new common rail diesels(which have juist made their debut in the all new Audi A4)

Indeed they have! VAG had been talking about it for ages but I never knew the changeover had already happened

Thanks for bringing me up to date on that one, E92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Haven't any 1st hand experience of the 2.0, but the 1.9 is rough. I actually thought (wrongly) that they had started to kill it off in 2003..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I already have 3 orders for the Passat 1.4Tsi for next year so it's already taking off for the fleet market.

The new A4 is being launched with a 2.0Tdi engine with 140ps (along with the 1.8Tsi) but will come out later in the year with a 2.0Tdi engine with 120ps to replace the 1.9Tdi. I would expect to see this engine line up in the Passat mid to end of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

The Passat 1.4TSI is already in Tunners Cross Cork since last weekend. Took it for a quick spin and it seemed more than adequte power wise. It is no sports car and I would say it was a better bet than the 1.6FSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

The 1.4 in the Tiguan gets 33mpg
    the 1.8 in the new A4 does 40mpg

it's more fuel efficient than the old 1.6 anyhow.
    http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENNEWS/volkswagen-new-tsi-engine.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    for VW drivers used to 1.4 Golfs and 1.6 Passats, this will be more than enough.

Indeed! Should be a big seller in the private market. Might even eat some market share back from the diesels in the lease market

Compared to the sligthly more expensive 1.6FSI, it uses 6.6l combined (7.6l) and it coughs up 157g of CO2 (179g). It is slightly more powerful with a lot more torque. Should be a winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

The only reason we still have that tractor engine, the 1.9 litre VAG unit, is because of our idiotic cc based taxation system.

As for the 1.4 litre? I dread to think of how long it will take to overtake someone in a Passat with five people on board. It has to be very limited in terms of torque. (Forget about bhp, that's only for glanza-boys)

Golferx wrote: »
    T
    As for the 1.4 litre? I dread to think of how long it will take to overtake someone in a Passat with five people on board. It has to be very limited in terms of torque.
    http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENN...tsi-engine.htm
    200nM seems fine to me.

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed! Should be a big seller in the private market. Might even eat some market share back from the diesels in the lease market

Compared to the sligthly more expensive 1.6FSI, it uses 6.6l combined (7.6l) and it coughs up 157g of CO2 (179g). It is slightly more powerful with a lot more torque. Should be a winner!

It is a clever move, and will be a big sales success.

6.6l corresponds to 42.7 mpg, so it's a decent figure. (Though only similar to Toyota Avensis 1.6l figures)

Mailman wrote: »

The proof will be in the pudding, as the saying goes. Time will tell.

History, though, will show that extraction of high amounts of BHP or Torque, from small engines seriously reduces the longevity of such motors. Again, time will tell on how durable they will be.

• Advertisement

Golferx wrote: »
    (Though only similar to Toyota Avensis 1.6l figures)

It is not. 1.6 Avensis averages 39.1 mpg.

The 1.4 TSI has 122 bhp(more than a Mazda 6 1.8) 153 lb ft of torquefrom only 1500 rpm all the way up to 3500 rpm(more than the non turbo 2.0 FSI Passat) and has the VRT, running costs and tax of a 1.4. It will be the best selling Passat by a mile when it arrives and easily will replace the 1.6 as the nation's favoured variant of Passat.

As for whether it will be reliable, it just any old 1.4 with direct injection, only VW stuck a turbo on it. The turbo is providing the power and torque increases, not the engine itself. It should be no more nor no less reliable than the standard VAG 1.4. If what you were saying about turbo engines were true, how come diesels with a turbo are infinately more powerful than non turbo diesels, yet reliability so far as I can tell hasn't suffered one little bit?

See below as to why the 'tractor engine' was kept.
    JHMEG wrote:
    Haven't any 1st hand experience of the 2.0, but the 1.9 is rough. I actually thought (wrongly) that they had started to kill it off in 2003..

You weren't wrong at all. The existing 2.0 TDI replaced the higher output 1.9 versions(the 130 and 150 bhp versions). It was only the 100 bhp version that stuck with the 1.9(and got a 5 bhp boost while it was at it).

Advertisement