Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best First Time Car

Options
  • 21-11-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭

Im 16, I want to get a car when im 17 thats relatively cheap.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm in the same position as u, and i couldn't wait, so i bought a bike. A Honda Nsr, and as i'm still in school the running costs are so cheap it's not funny... Although a 1.0 Polo would be perfect, although i'm biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Limerick man , what's insurance like for that bike?
    antomorro-sei it would probably best to buy a cheap 1 litre car. Polo , Micra , Corsa ect.
    Your insurance will cost more then the car. :(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

For a first car get something fairly cheap. In hindsight I would say something like a saloon car for safety.

I had a starlet for a first car which was brilliant. You want something you can drive without being terrified of damaging accidentally.

Actually u'd think so, but the insurance i'm payin with Quinn is €1240, i know some1 with a scooter payin more than that... Plus it'll do around 107kmph so it's better speed wise than most yokes i've seen.(in the same range obviously). All i need to get me going, i'm even dettering off the car now, for cost reasons. Although the practicality of the bike isn't 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

Was going to start a new thread, but it kinda fits here... I'm about to buy my first car, have a budget of about 8000euro, and I'd love a Polo or a Golf...

As a teenager, I always wanted a Puma, but caught sight of one bout a year ago, and looked like an eggcup from the back :D

SEAT Leon is quite nice too.

I reckon they're excellent safe 1st cars...

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

U've a nice budget for a first time car.. Is that JUST for the car, or does it include insurance, tax running costs etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

MarkR wrote: »
    For a first car get something fairly cheap. In hindsight I would say something like a saloon car for safety.

I had a starlet for a first car which was brilliant. You want something you can drive without being terrified of damaging accidentally.

+1 for the Starlet, I started with one of them, bullet proof build quality, and as Mark said you don't mind getting a few knocks or dings. My mum gave it to me after she drove it for 9 years, I passed it on to my bro, then sis, then 2 different friends, it was an '87 and only met it's demise last year when it was rear ended and written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Thanks lads. Thinking about the Polo. Just need a job now to save for the insurance etc...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Victor_M wrote: »
    +1 for the Starlet, I started with one of them, bullet proof build quality, and as Mark said you don't mind getting a few knocks or dings. My mum gave it to me after she drove it for 9 years, I passed it on to my bro, then sis, then 2 different friends, it was an '87 and only met it's demise last year when it was rear ended and written off.

Yep. Don't have a crash in a Starlet.

A Yaris is much better. Early ones are getting chepaer all the time now.

Was going to start a new thread, but it kinda fits here... I'm about to buy my first car, have a budget of about 8000euro, and I'd love a Polo or a Golf...

My advice would be not to spend that much on your first car. Get something you don't mind putting a few scrapes or dents on. Then use the money to upgrade in a year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

A bit of advice. DONT BUY A SEAT IBIZA 1.0. trust me i know. VERY slow, wheels looktiny, standard radio is useless and does only 35mpg. enough said....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

U've a nice budget for a first time car.. Is that JUST for the car, or does it include insurance, tax running costs etc.?

Thats just the car. Ive been saving my pennies for 5 years through College!! :)

Im most leaned towards a good Polo, i have driven one, so light, you actually feel connected to the car and the roads and the gears are like water to change, a pleasure.

A Polo would be a good start, although u could look at something like a Corolla which will be more reliable than the Polo, and a bit quicker as it's a 1.3. Try get a drive in a few different cars to see what suits ur needs, taste and style...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Zonda999 wrote: »
    A bit of advice. DONT BUY A SEAT IBIZA 1.0. trust me i know. VERY slow, wheels looktiny, standard radio is useless and does only 35mpg. enough said....

Same applies to the 1.0 Polo. They are the slowest cars in their class AFAIK. Even the crappy 1.3 pushrod Fiesta is faster, though the mileage isn't great either. Now the 1.25 Fiesta has a real engine and shouldn't cost much/any more to insure than the 1.3 (despite being 75bhp vs. 60bhp) because the insurers don't seem to realise there's a difference.
    although u could look at something like a Corolla which will be more reliable than the Polo, and a bit quicker as it's a 1.3.
    It'll cost a lot more to insure as well.

I'd also recommend not spending too much.

I'd also recommend not spending too much.

Would be a smart idea as well as the first car will always get a few dings here are there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd go for a Merc SL if I was getting my first car again.

and i thought 8k was a big budget:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Ditto ,personally i'd have the v12 sl 600 over the v8 sl 500 . The amg version would also be ideal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Buy something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=846488

And spend the rest of the money on booze/holiday/etc. For a first car, anything should do.

Well this thread is getting ridiculous and the worst part is I think the OP still thinks it's a good idea to spend 8k on a first car.

Jesus, imagine payin nearly 10% of the price of ur car on advertising... And although we said something a bit cheaper, i don't think that would be the perfect car:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Ditto ,personally i'd have the v12 sl 600 over the v8 sl 500 . The amg version would also be ideal....

It's a first car so I reckon it would be best to start with the 350. Don't want somethinbg too powerful to be your first car. This would also be easier to sell on when you want to trade up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

Get a Toyota it will last for years. The only problem is they cost a good bit of money. Also for a first car I would say the smaller the car the better. Because it's easier to get use to driving in a small car and it's easy to find a space to park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

sorry for not knowing but if your a girl , id say a fiat panda, the new model won european car of the yr and its really smart looking ,the perfect little car for parking in towns and like all fiats , it will be really good value 2nd hand

if your a guy , i would say the new fiat punto grande , there only out 12 months but you should get a used one for a little along with 10 k and i think there pretty cool

i like fiats

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

moe_sizlak wrote: »

i like fiats

not enough to know that the Grande Punto is out since 2005?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

if it was me looking for a first car id go for a punto around 98-99, get the 8v fire engine one, there cheap, nippey and very good on petrol, as well as that when stuff goes wrong there pretty easy car to repair unlike a lot of others, seat ibiza for one, try changing the clutch cable in that. at that age its shouldnt even have a cable.,

• Advertisement
Advertisement