Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So your The Taoiseach, what would you do for Ireland?

• 21-11-2007 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

If you had the Admin powers of the US President what would you do to improve this Nation?

I would......

Have a major motorway between every and around/bypass every major city.

Have a LUAS System running in every major/medium sized city.

Connect all major/medium sized city's by rail.

Increase Gardai funds have civillians working indoors doing the paperwork and have the boys on the 'beat'.

Zero tolerance on Anti social behaviour.

Get rid of the MATS service we dont need a Govt Jet, If Gordon Brown can fly BA then they can fly Aer Lingus.

Introduce Nuclear Power.

Join NATO.

Mandatory life sentence for any major crime and make life what it says it is...life til the day you die.

Mandatory background checks on all persons entering the Nation.

Construct a Formula 1 race track and a few 'nou camp' sized soccer/rugby pitches and attract major sporting events to Ireland increasing tourism.

Reduce overall costs of consumer items be it food or whatever, lets face it they say its "rip off Ireland" so lets change that.

Increase the price of cigarettes.

Cancer treatment in EVERY county.

Dedicated HEMS ( Helicopter Emergency Medical Service ) Helicopter for EVERY County.

Full time FireFighters, no more retainer crap.

Introduce new powers to Customs/Navy to Intercept suspicious Drug Vessels and if necessary use lethal force.

I have more.....:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I'd post in the politics section....

And I'd do your ma, for what it's worth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think we can all rest easy knowing you're not likely to become taoiseach.

thanks for showing us that at least, it could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Steyr wrote: »
    So your The Taoiseach, what would you do for Ireland?

Resign

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Start sleeping in more often. Who's gonna fire me?

If you had the Admin powers of the US President what would you do to improve this Nation?

I would......

Increase Gardai funds have civillians working indoors doing the paperwork and have the boys on the 'beat'.

Get rid of the MATS service we dont need a Govt Jet, If Gordon Brown can fly BA then they can fly Aer Lingus.

Introduce Nuclear Power.

Join NATO.

Mandatory life sentence for any major crime and make life what it says it is...life til the day you die.

Construct a Formula 1 race track and a few 'nou camp' sized soccer/rugby pitches and attract major sporting events to Ireland increasing tourism.

Reduce overall costs of consumer items be it food or whatever, lets face it they say its "rip off Ireland" so lets change that.

Dedicated HEMS ( Helicopter Emergency Medical Service ) Helicopter for EVERY County.

Introduce new powers to Customs/Navy to Intercept suspicious Drug Vessels and if necessary use lethal force.

It's great to talk about these great 'ideas', but they're nothing more. You've given idealist solutions will little thought to how you would actually go about them. Time frame, logistics, public support (how would you get it for some of these things?).

The way things are in Ireland, we can't even enforce old laws (referring to learner driver thing), never mind going about even a third of these off the cuff ideas.

You'd make a good writer for a partys poster campaign tho ;)

• Advertisement

SLAP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I would......

Introduce Nuclear Power.

Join NATO.

Where's all the money coming from for this? You'd have to tax people at %100 of their salary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Jesus I just read some of the stuff you'd do. Some scariness there tbh.

Cancer services in every county? HEMS in every county? Know anything about this stuff?

Mandatory background checks on every coming in? Those stadiums/race tracks might be pretty empty....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

ThatGuy wrote: »
    It's great to talk about these great 'ideas', but they're nothing more.

thats why its in After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah sure its like Sim City, just bang in one of the cheats for unlimited funds and you can have everything on that list.

Unfortunately this is the real world.

(The one actually reasonable idea is the one about having the civilians doing the Garda paperwork. One idea I advocate.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ban cars on major bus routes between 730am-930am , 5pm-7pm.

Tear the HSE apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Slash politicians wages, get rid of expences, introduce massive penalties for corruption.

The new taoiseach has to consume the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I agree with alot of what you have said;

Have a major motorway between every and around/bypass every major city (we should have at least a dual carrageway between all major city e.g. derry-cork, dublin-sligo, waterford, galway, cork etc. 3rd world countries have better road systems than we do :mad:

Have a LUAS System running in every major/medium sized city (a proper luas in dublin first, one that goes to the airport and lines that are connected up not the crap we have now)

Connect all major/medium sized city's by rail (more rail lines for sure, open up the sligo to limerick line e.g. so people from the west don't have to go to portarlington to get to cork :eek:

Get rid of the MATS service we dont need a Govt Jet, If Gordon Brown can fly BA then they can fly Aer Lingus agree

Introduce Nuclear Power (use our national resources more wind, water)

Join NATO why :confused:

Mandatory background checks on all persons entering the Nation if america do it we should as well, i have no problem being fingerprinted going to the states, nobody entering this country should have either.

Construct a Formula 1 race track and a few 'nou camp' sized soccer/rugby pitches and attract major sporting events to Ireland increasing tourism formula 1 race-track that remains empty 364 days a year, what a waste. We don't need a camp nou sized stadium here either seeing as barely 40,000 turned up to see us play Slovakia.

Increase the price of cigarettes (and the price of drink too, people will complain like f*ck but they will still buy the stuff no matter how much you charge. I would increase the price of 20 to say €12 straight away and then keep increasing them all the time, won't make a dent on sales.

Full time FireFighters, no more retainer crap agree

Introduce new powers to Customs/Navy to Intercept suspicious Drug Vessels and if necessary use lethal force lethal force is over the top

I have more.....:D[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Construct a Formula 1 race track and a few 'nou camp' sized soccer/rugby pitches and attract major sporting events to Ireland increasing tourism
    I'm all for it.
    Where are we going to put it?

I vote for somewhere in North county Dublin.

*Reduce the number of ministers.
    *Take a paycut since I won't have taken 'loans' in questionable circumstances.

I'm sure I've more but they're two that come to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Construct a Formula 1 race track ....
    formula 1 race-track that remains empty 364 days a year, what a waste.

To build one up to F1 standards would be very costly. Mondello is very busy and it could be open to all motor sports and track days as well (which are getting very popular).
    It would need considerable investment, but would earn money and would be a good investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Give back my recent pay-rise.

Seriously, I'd:

- move 20,000 admin clerical CO grades from the HSE and put them as civilian clerical support staff in An Garda Siochàna.

- introduce universal health care insurance.

- introduce tax incentives for private sector companies to move out of Dublin (probably wouldn't be allowed under EU law anyways)

- reduce the current number of TDs by 50%

- abolish The Seanad

- devolve more power to local authorities/councils

- remove the current wasteful office of President

- abolish the 14 or so Junior Ministerial positions as set up by Bertie post the last election (that's basically 14 less Mercs and 14 less Ministerial Drivers)

- have the office of Lord Mayor of Dublin appointed by public election

- remove VRT

- introduce three bands of PAYE

- give myself back the pay rise, as I'd have been doing a really swell job if I managed to introduce at least ONE of the above suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

declare myself as a dictator, no change then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The first thing I'd do (and probably the last because someone would have me shot for doing it) is I would half the salaries of TD's and Senators. It;s not like they have a real job since all the work is done by civil servants.

I would then either abolish the Seanad or give it some actual relevant power.

After that it would be bye bye to the áras. Our President should either have some actual power (other than Article 26, etc) or we shouldn't have one. At the moment it's the job to have if you fancy living in a big gaff close to the zoo and getting holidays to foreign countries at the expense of the tax payer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I agree with alot of what you have said;

Have a major motorway between every and around/bypass every major city (we should have at least a dual carrageway between all major city e.g. derry-cork, dublin-sligo

Sligo, major city? What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'd buy meself a nice shirt.

Establish a Twat of the Year type award system, The Bonos.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Buceph wrote: »

Establish a Twat of the Year type award system, The Buceph's.

That is all.

FYP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Increase Gardai funds have civillians working indoors doing the paperwork and have the boys 'n' girls on the 'beat' & have them more protected i.e. CS Spray, Kwickcuffs, PR24 Baton

Dedicated HEMS ( Helicopter Emergency Medical Service ) to operate from Dublin & Cork, so the country is covered...

As OP but a few adjustments...

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I am a twat

Hur hur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd donate to the poor, all the money that I found resting in my account. I would then practice memory-enhancing techniques to find out if I'd forgotten some more. I think this technique is called "Tribunal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sligo, major city? What?

sligo is a very important place ;) there is already a motorway half-way to mullingar and if they extended that it would then pass close to some major midland towns like longford, carrick on shannon etc and then meet up with the Derry/cork motorway outside sligo.

the irish motorway system should ALREADY look like this

6p9v0cw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Ban all house alarms. Nobody replies to them, and they annoy neighbours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

By pass for Clare galway, Tuam and Moate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

First ,I would change the Gardai to a police force and get rid of all the old buffers .2 .Get rid of all the tainted politicians including the County councils ,better still start from scratch ban FF,FG all independent TD s .3 Make health for all a priority. 4 Change the electoral system to stop corruption and more transparency and develop citizenship so that people are loyal to each other.Then Rule Ireland like never before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Improve world grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

a few 'nou camp' sized soccer/rugby pitches and attract major sporting events to Ireland increasing tourism

Here here, have every eircom League stadium upgraded to "nou camps" and then ban the Sky Sports on a Saturday and Sunday when there's premiership and then we have full Irish "nou camps" every weekend.:D

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    First ,I would change the Gardai to a police force and get rid of all the old buffers .2 .Get rid of all the tainted politicians including the County councils ,better still start from scratch ban FF,FG all independent TD s .3 Make health for all a priority. 4 Change the electoral system to stop corruption and more transparency and develop citizenship so that people are loyal to each other.Then Rule Ireland like never before.

'I'm doing a degree in business and tennis and I would like to work for world peace.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rhiannon14 wrote: »
    Improve world grammar.
    I would attempt to improve the grammar of the people of the world.

Establish a Twat of the Year type award system, The Bonos.

That is all.
    Careful now.

FYP!
    You too. (no pun intended)

Hur hur.
    Grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

supertramp wrote: »
    Ban all house alarms. Nobody replies to them, and they annoy neighbours

At last, the only sensible reply in the whole thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Give myself a salary increase ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Put all resources towards making the health service world class,
    then
    Put all resources into repairing/replacing every road in Ireland until they are perfect

Much better than doing a little of this and a little of that, its getting us nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Ask for a non-application loan with no security for everyone from their local bank. No worries after that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd double the pension plan and quit.

Controversial, but I'd abolish the compulsory status of the Irish language.

Most of my ideas would be better suited as a Minister for Transport though, that's an area I feel I'd thrive in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

For a start, I'd outsource as much of central and local government as I could, get rid of all surplus staff including all civil servants....just to see if things got any better.

Noel Dempsey, Mary Harney and Mary Hanafin would be sacked.

Lots of other stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Karsini wrote: »
    Controversial, but I'd abolish the compulsory status of the Irish language.

I agree, it would be much better for kids to be thought a European language in primary school and then when they go to secondary school have the choice to learn Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Invade somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

s_carnage wrote: »
    I agree, it would be much better for kids to be thought a European language in primary school and then when they go to secondary school have the choice to learn Irish.
    But Irish is a European language. I'd just change the way it's thought introduce it into sports, I think it would be an advantage to Irish teams being able to speak a language nobody else has a clue about. It's the schools that are killing the Irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

Sweet jesus wake up people,

Do you not realise that some U.S. Americans dont have access to maps?

and what about South Africa?

and The Iraq?

and such like:D

Seriously though,

Health care for all.

Massive crackdown on crime.

Get the schools sorted out.

Sort out the transport infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Leave the country !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Freeze and/or reduce public service salaries, from teachers to nurses to administrators, the whole lot. Either remove their pensions and make them contributary or reduce their pay so that it is in line with the private sector, factoring in the pensions and benefits. Also make the entire public service accountable - under my iron fist you can be fired.

Phew. Now that that millstone around the neck of the nation is removed why don't we use the money saved to:

Sort out the infrastructure in the country once and for all, ultramodernise it with roads, rail networks, countrywide free wifi and fibre to the home, power supply, etc.

Free up the broadcast media and telecoms sectors.

Regulate the hell out of the financial sector, which has been running amok for the last six years.

Invest in cultural events and arts.

Reduce and / or remove the army entirely, beef up the navy and airforce somewhat.

Reform education to take advantage of new technologies and reduce the roles of teachers in the classrooms, hence the number of teachers.

And finally, the big one, invest in local enterprise and industry. Massively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Kick Bush out of Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

oh like this thread

IQ testing for all who wish to drive and have children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Aldous Huxley and George Orwell pretty much covered most of my bases, so what they said, take the hedonism from Aldous and the Totalitarianistic system from George and you'd have my government, oh and also institute some Codex Alimentarius for good measure.

Yous people better hope I never get into power ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement