Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K800i or Nokia 6300

• 21-11-2007 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Ok have been told to pick a phone as a christmas present. Not into very expensive phones. Like a good priced decent fone with decent features.

I have been looking at the K800i on vodafone for €129 and the nokia 6300 for €119. I think they are both good phones.

I know the K800i has flash camera with more pixels but bit bulkier, but the 6300 is nice shape and has good camera except no flash.

Any advice on what to go for???

Have a feeling a lot of people are choosing between these two phones at moment as they seem to be good for the price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the k800 is a lot better than the 6300. Its worth the extra bulk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

have the k800i for personal and the 6300 for work and by far prefer the K800i. Camera is better and the phone just seems to have alot more to it. IMO the battery life is better on the sony too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

I have been using the Sony Ericsson K800i for many months. It has a very good battery, superb quality camera and works well.

I must warn you, if you are a wild user, and use the phone heavily on a regular basis, you may have some problems as the joystick may degrade. This is only if you are a 12 year old girl with free Meteor texts to "all her friends". If you aren't, you shouldn't have a problem.

Sony Ericsson are a far better choice than those crazy Finnish Folks in Nokia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

The 6300 has shockingly bad battery life.

The K800i has shockingly good battery life and a great camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would say the k800i too. Better interface, better camera, better battery.

The 6300 is nice and slimline though if that's your cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

joystick does degrade with the k800i,

but if you become an advanced user you would use the keypad for menu shortcuts.

ie. press menu >> 5 >> 1 >> 1 will get you to write a new message.
    press menu >> 5 >> 1 >> 7 will get you to sent messages etc.

i prefer these type of shortcuts rather than using the joystick.

other than a slightly dodgey joystick it's a much better phone than the 6300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I started using a NOKIA 6300 this week.

Battery life seems to be, as already posted, 'shockingly bad'. I am also surprised that connecting it by USB to a PC does not enable it to re-charge, i.e. data transfer only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

thanks for the feedback.

I want a good battery, i found the last 3G phone i had to be crap on battery life. Is the k800i good on this? will prob keep 3G off anyway.

Seems like the k800i is worth it. Do any people using it have any problems due to the bulkiness of the handset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

TarfHead wrote: »
    I am also surprised that connecting it by USB to a PC does not enable it to re-charge, i.e. data transfer only.

all nokias are like that. you can get a data cable that has an extra connection for charging

edit: there it is
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-CA-70-USB-charging-cable/dp/B000GJ8GP6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

That's another plus for the Sony! Charges while plugged into USB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

eamon234 wrote: »
    That's another plus for the Sony! Charges while plugged into USB.

Another plus? As far as i'm concerned its a superior handset - end of story. If you wanted the waif like dimensions in a SE phone then I suggest that you go for a T650 but those cost a pretty penny at the moment and have been out less than a month here.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

What the mp3 player like on the K800i. I.e. Could you use it for personal use on the bus or something?
    I'm also thinking of buying this handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

strife wrote: »
    What the mp3 player like on the K800i. I.e. Could you use it for personal use on the bus or something?
    I'm also thinking of buying this handset.

Yes it can be used for personal use on the bus or wherever. Buy a 4GB card from 7dayshop.com and fill it up.

The K800i has been massively reduced in price and about a month ago was more than twice the price it now is.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Cool. At 129 I think this is the phone for me. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

6300 every guy i know who has one says the battery life is not great lads. . any one on here agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just thought i'd post up my thoughts of the k800i after buying it on o2 and getting it unlocked. how about some bullet points?...:
    1:the camera is great
    2:easy, intuitive menus
    3:Surprisingly good battery life i get around 3 days out of it with moderate use
    4:functional mp3 player, it's dead handy for the journey to college
    5:I love the screen size.

For the money you can't beat it. I have a friend who bought the 6300 and as well as the bad battery life it crashes a lot too. The k800i wins, no contest.

Alan,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

i agree with all the above but would be great if the k800i was a slight bit slimmer :D
    shes telling me hey are you happy to see me or is that a k880i in your pocket .? :p

Advertisement