Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Dealer Rip offs??

Options
  • 21-11-2007 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I bought a new car 3 weeks ago and now wont start. Tryed jump start,and see what probleam is, but couldnt find what it was. I have a 3 month warranty. Rang garage and they said they would tow it for me at cost off 100 euro, and I said no to this as car is still under warranty. I had to threaten them with a solicitor if they didnt collect by end of the day, which they did. This is my first time dealing with car dealer. Anybody tell me where I stand or if anybody had similar experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The warranty maybe one thing - but recovery may not be part of what the dealer is offering. Small print stuff....

But you did the right thing to push him all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Car dealers are like any other service provider, you can get good and bad ones. Just show them that you won't take any crap and you'll get treated better. Was it from a main dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 minidave

Well there is no real small print on receipt. Just the that clutch isnt part of warranty. They were say probleam may be clutch, but since when do you start a car with a clutch??. How they can think probleam is clutch when they havent checked it out. Just feel I am been robbed here. Spend 3K on car.

No not a main dealer, but a well know dealer. Just want to get it sorted, am not look get my money back as I would be down as I bought new tyres and cd player only last Thursaday. But if pushes comes to shove I guess I would go through a solicitor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Engine will start whether clutch is gone or not.

• Advertisement

take it handy, chances are they will sort it out without having to get a solicitor. clutch not being covered is standard enough. Out of intrest, did you sign a SIMI order form?(A3 sized sheet)

Never heard of a simi order before.

Did you sign any type of order form or contract, what written warranty details did they give?

Just signed a standard 3 month. Gearbox and engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As opposed to the main clutch, it could the starter clutch that's gone.

• Advertisement

Am just look for advice on where I stand and if any one has had similar probleams. Whatever is wrong with the car at the moment isnt a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think the best advice is to wait and see what the garage says Dave, it's all up in the air until that happens.

Yeah cheers Ned, will let ya know tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A tow might is most likely not covered by a warranty.

This isn't a new car. Its a used car.

Yes tow isnt covered, but its the principle of what is happening here. I feel they were trying to rip me off on this matter. They fact that they agreed to tow in the end I feel proves that.

minidave wrote: »
    Yes tow isnt covered, but its the principle of what is happening here. I feel they were trying to rip me off on this matter. They fact that they agreed to tow in the end I feel proves that.

How are they trying to rip you off?

You're either entitled to a tow or you're not.

I would have thought they'd just send someone around to have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BostonB wrote: »
    How are they trying to rip you off?

You're either entitled to a tow or you're not.

I would have thought they'd just send someone around to have a look at it.

I can't disagree with that.

OP - You did well to get them to come and tow it away. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's a €3k car with a 3 month warranty that is issued by the dealer - not a €30K car, brand new with manufacturers warranty. Don't expect the sun, moon and stars.

Like others have said, a dodgy clutch won't cause a non-start and I fail to see how they can diagnose this over the phone. IMHO, there is a fault that appears to be what I would perceive as an 'engine fault', so it should be covered under the guarantee that you were given.

Keep us posted as to what the dealer has to say.

Sorry I was just giving you all the short version of the story, but orginally they agreed to tow it for free, and then later they said they would charge me 100 euro for a tow. I asked orginally could somebody come down and have a look, no tow, as I am only a 15 minute drive from the garage. But anyway I will know tomorrow morning what is story as car didnt arrive at the garage until 4pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've had difficulty with mine during the 3 month warranty.
    • Would not return phone calls even if they said over and over that they would.
    • Sounded awfully pissed off on the phone every time I rang despite never having anything wrong with the car.
    • Said they would book it in for an NCT after saying that the car would of passed the NCT by the time I bought it, but I bought it anyway because I had a contract which said they would cover all NCT costs. They kept forgetting to book it into the NCT. Looked like they were holding out until the 3 month warranty was over so I booked it myself. It passed it but they never paid for it.
    • When I was cleaning out the boot I noticed the spare tyre was completely flat. I just spent the few euro to get it fixed myself as I knew they would never get it fixed if I dropped it into them. Keep "forgetting" no doubt.
    But it's a lovely car so I can't complain. Luckily it's not been any sort of horror story.

Got car back yesterday. Needed fuse in starter motor. Was working fine. But today wont work. Asked for my money back, they say they dont that do that even though I have a 3 month warranty!!. Am going to see solicitor monday and take them to small claims court.

• Advertisement

Got car back yesterday. Needed fuse in starter motor. Was working fine. But today wont work. Asked for my money back, they say they dont that do that even though I have a 3 month warranty!!. Am going to see solicitor monday and take them to small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I had to threaten them with a solicitor if they didnt collect by end of the day, which they did.
    But if pushes comes to shove I guess I would go through a solicitor.
    Am going to see solicitor monday and take them to small claims court.

You are very fast to threaten legal action but before you do you need to do some research. Nothing worse than having people demand their "rights" when they have zero idea what they are talking about.

You want to use to use a solicitor and take a case to the small claims court.
    The aim of the Small Claims Court procedure is to provide an inexpensive, fast and easy way for consumers to resolve disputes without the need to employ a solicitor.

Your car is worth 3k
    The procedure is designed to deal with consumer claims up to 2,000 euro.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/small_claims_court

So before you do something drastic, do some research as the dealers won't take you seriously if you don't know what you are doing. And it's clear that you don't!

What has a 3 month warrant go to do with trying to get your money back?

Am just go through small claims court, no solicitor. Have 3 month warranty. So where am I go wrong here??. Only have car less than month. Had last car 2 years, and it was older car and no probleam with it.

If the car dosent work should i just leave it. Only well it dosent work???. They obviously havent fixed the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dave, I know nothing about cars (motorbikes rule ;)) but I do know a bit about consumer law.

Once again, I'm telling you if your car is worth 3k, you cannot use the small claims court. You confirmed it was 3k in post number 4.

And don't threaten to use a solicitor and then don't follow up.
    Making a empty threat destroys your credibility and the dealers will not take you seriously.

I hope you get this sorted but I feel you are doing it all wrong. Good luck anyway

Yes i know max on small claims is 2k so I will lose finacially. I want this car to work but I think I have been sold a dodgy motor. Anyway I was told by them because car is old they wouldnt give me my money back, so they have force me on this.

Yes i know max on small claims is 2k so I will lose finacially. I want this car to work but I think I have been sold a dodgy motor. Anyway I was told by them because car is old they wouldnt give me my money back, so they have force me on this.

What you and they are saying is rubbish. You really should know your rights before you start firing from the hip. If you buy a product and its faulty, you do not have an automatic right to a refund.
    "As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer."

A car is complex device. Its not unknown (though obviously not desirable) for a brand new car, even very expensive ones to have a fault that requires a few attempts to get fixed.

just get them to sort the problem, as is their obligation, don't go threatening solicitors etc.

• Advertisement

How many times to I need to get them to fix the probleam? 100?? Last week I has no car, so I lost approx 300 euro, due to taxis bus, and not being able to do any o/t at work. I would love for them to fix this car, but I know that these garages do the bare minimum to get a car on the road. Buying a car should be no different to buying a toaster or any other electric good, you expect it to work. This is third time I have had to get back to them to fix it. I just want this car to work as I like the motor and I have already put some work into it, but if the car is breaking down and starting, what should I do?

Advertisement