Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Dealer Rip offs??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you buy a second hand toaster for a fraction of the new price, do you expect it to be as good as a new one? You need to be realistic here. Give them a reasonable chance to fix the car. It seems that something caused a fuse for the starter motor to blow. Changing the fuse cured the symptom for a while, but there's obviously an intermittent fault still there.
    It is inconvenient, but if you're fair with them and leave the car in, they can actually solve the problem.
    If I were you, I'd insist that they give you a courtesy car, as you're being inconvenienced so much. They should keep the car for a few days to ensure the problem is solved.

On the other hand, you may be dealing with cowboys. What's the car by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 minidave

I can understand the point that you are making Colm but they had one week to fix the car, I think that is more than reasonable. I asked for a replacement but they said they had none. The car is Opel Astra. I wasnt talking abou a 2nd hand toaster by the way!! lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What sort of setup is the garage? do they have many cars for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Expectations > wallet ?

3k on a medium sized car isnt a lot , but as a dealer they still have to sell a car fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

minidave wrote: »
    .... I had to threaten them with a solicitor if they didnt collect by end of the day, which they did. This is my first time dealing with car dealer. ...

You threatened them with a solicitor right from the first. You demanded a tow, and also a refund. None of which you are entitled too.

What work have you "put into" the car, in only 3 weeks of ownership?

If work is so critical would you not have bought a car from somewhere that has a courtesy car. Or at least picked an insurance company that has breakdown cover and hire car cover. None of that is the garages fault. Your attitude is lousy even if the garage are trying to diddle you, which there is no evidence of thus far. All you've achieved is agro with the garage and I can't imagine they'll rush to get your car sorted. How long a repair can reasonably take? Who knows.

• Advertisement

Churchy wrote: »
    Expectations > wallet ?

3k on a medium sized car isnt a lot , but as a dealer they still have to sell a car fit for purpose.

Hes had it for 3 weeks. So this could be a problem thats has just occurred. Bad timing but it happens.

The work I put in was new cd player which cost 100 euro. 4 tyres cost 260 euro, I asked garage to put these for me but they were going to charge me 300 euro, am not sure that should have sold car as 2 were badly worn. Boston B can you tell me why I am not entiltled to a refund if a car dosent work? I actually didnt threaten them with a solicitor first off, I did that on the second time, but I guess it was out of furstration of the situation as they offered to tow for free, and they decided to charge me for it. Garage sells maybe 30 cars or so. I know 3k isnt a lot but I expect a car to work. My dad works in garage down country and he cant believe what has happened, he says this garage is opposite to what goes on where he works. I probably should have gone there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Surely you should have got your Dad to check the car or better if he works in a Garage he could have got you a good car..

Dealing with garages after the sale of a 3K car can be diffocult.. you may have to just cut your loss and sell it on or bring it to a better garage for a second opinion...

I can't understand your actions at all. Why buy a car with worn tyres from a garage that can't be bothered to put decent tyres on a car. Especially when your fathers in the trade. Makes no sense. Your not entitled to a refund unless they can't fix it. As far as I know theres no hard rules/laws covering how long, or how often repairs can be made before it becomes unreasonable. I could be wrong. At this point you have to give them them a bit of time to resolve the issues. Again as far as I know.

I would have got my dad but hes in Waterford so bit awkward to get to Dublin.Was up at garage today. Seems same probleam as last time. Fuse blown, not sure why, or how, but we both agreed if cant be fixed by Friday, they/I will pick out a car of same value. I proposed that they give me a replacement car and that they could have car for next 10 working days, I feel that this was very reasonable on my part, but they disagreed, so we went with former.

• Advertisement

Went garage today to see if car was ready but wasnt, they say they want more time to work on this. So beginning to feel so stressed about it all. They now want until Wednesday to see if it can be fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mmurphy

I also had problems with the above garage very unprofessional

edit: no offence but when your first post is critical of a business without any supporting claims, I tend to get worried!
    KBannon

Advertisement