Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 network cards in 1 Server (2003 Standard)

• 21-11-2007 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭

Server 2003 with 2 nics

Nic 1 (for internal domain )
    IP 192.168.0.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

2nd nic - not configured

I want to use the 2nd nic to connect to another network for internet access, the 2nd network is using 10.0.0.x so I can put
    ip 10.0.0.x as my ip, subnet 255.0.0.0 and gateway 10.0.0.100(internet router

Should this work? Do I need to put in a dns setting or dns fowarding or enable routing and remote access?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can put multiple IP's on one NIC if you want

windows doesn't do multiple gateways reliably so
    remove the gateway address from the LAN card 192.
    and add it to the WAN card 10

IP routing is not enabled by default so clients of the server wont see the internet through it without some tweaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

you can put multiple IP's on one NIC if you want

windows doesn't do multiple gateways reliably so
    remove the gateway address from the LAN card 192.
    and add it to the WAN card 10

IP routing is not enabled by default so clients of the server wont see the internet through it without some tweaking

Well current Windows versions do not support multiple gateways at all.
    And routing is enabled per default.

What needs to be enabled once you have your 2 NICs set up, is to enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

A bit of a twist to my setup

I want both networks servers to have dhcp on them and both of them PDC's.

Server One (2003 Standard - PDC on class.local domain giving out DHCP)
    Nic 1 (for internal domain in a class room)
    IP 192.168.0.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

Nic 2
    Not configured

Server Two (Server 2003 -PDC on Main.local domain giving out DHCP)
    Nic 1
    IP 10.0.0.1
    Subnet 255.0.0.0
    Gateway 10.0.0.254 (Internet Router)
    DNS: 10.0.0.1 (Has dns fowarding configured to isp s dns)

Since the main domain has internet I want the server in the class domain to have internet access
    and give it to it's clients
    If I dhcp on nic 2 of the server and then enable ICS should it work.

How To Set Up Internet Connection Sharing in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324286
    It says
    Do not use ICS on a network that:
    • Uses static IP addresses
    • Has a Windows Server 2003 domain controller
    • Uses other DNS servers, gateways, or DHCP servers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ICS is just for peer to peer and even then I'd use a third party DHCP server instead

NT4 was the last time they made routing easy - it was a tick box in network properties
    for all other versions of windows the easiest way was to tweak the registry
    IPEnableRouter - 0 or 1 registry setting
    win 3x didn't have tcp/ip built in
    95 blue screens with the reg tweak and you have two nic's
    have used this on 98/2000/2003

http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/2005/10/setting-up-ip-forwarding-on-windows.htm

even on 2003 I prefer to toggle the enableiprouting key rather than install routing and remote access

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323339
    How To Enable TCP/IP Forwarding in Windows Server 2003
    By default, TCP/IP forwarding is turned off (disabled) in Windows Server 2003. This article describes how to enable TCP/IP forwarding on a Windows Server 2003-based computer.

Back to the top
    More Information
    Enabling TCP/IP Forwarding
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
    1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. Locate and click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    3. Set the following registry values:

Value Name: IPEnableRouter
    Value type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 1

NOTE: A value of 1 turns on (enables) TCP/IP forwarding for all network connections installed and used by this computer.

use the reg tweak to allow server 2 to share the internet connection

it's lan address is now the gateway for the other PC's and server 1

DHCP is fine - just make sure the two ranges don't over lap say something like
    sever1 192.168.0.100-192.168.0164
    sever2 192.168.0.200-192.168.0.264

• Advertisement

So I let Server 1 nic 2 receive a dhcp address or else assign a static address onto it from Server 2's address range
    Run the reg tweak on server 1 to allow both network cards route?

jamesd wrote: »
    So I let Server 1 nic 2 receive a dhcp address or else assign a static address onto it from Server 2's address range
    Run the reg tweak on server 1 to allow both network cards route?
    do not assign a dhcp address to a server - only consider it as a last resourt and even then only if you use a reserved address so it always gets the same IP address from all dhcp servers on the lan

the WAN interface can request a dhcp address
    the LAN interface should be as constant as the northern star (polaris for now)

what is server 1 nic 2 connected to ???
    WAN traffic would go through server 2

having two IP on the same server on the same lan is not my idea of fun, you can bond cards in windows , but a far better idea IMHO is to have both cards the same and use the manufacturers utility to bond them
    as far as windows is concernet you have one card and it's the driver that allocates the packets to each of them

Its a school and Server 2 is in the main school building using the schools broadband for internet access

Server 1 is in a seperate class room with 16 clients and its own domain
    I want to give the clients in this room internet access but keep them away from the main network so I taught putting a 2nd nic into the server and patching that through to the main schools switch would be the way. The 1st nic in server 1 has a static address.

Advertisement