Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Bentone Oil Burner airlocked

• 21-11-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Guys,
    Posting this as a new thread cos I think mine is a different model than the others. Anyway, ran out of oil so now need to bleed the system but dunno which allen nut to open, there's three marked by yellow arrows on the second picture.

Any idea which is the bleed nut? I think it's the one going upwards underneath but don't want to do trial and error in case they're adjusters

Thanksin advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

On mine, it's the one nearest to braided flexible oil feed hose. It looks like the bottom one in your picture. JamesM should be along - he knows his stuff. :)
    You could always just put the allen key in and memorise its position. Turn it anti-clockwise (it could be tight - adjusters are loose). If oil does not seep out - turn it back to its original position and if oil does seep out - tighten it and reset the lockout button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

The one beside the oil pipe is the bleed nut. Ensure that the allen key you use is a good fit. I've seen a couple of these that were fecked from people using wrong size keys/not keeping the key pressed into the slot properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Thanks Zapata :o The top yellow arrow is the one. The 2nd one is oil pressure adjuster - do not touch :eek:
    The bottom would eventually work, but the air is trapped at the higher point. The top one is also the port for checking the oil pressure.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

All, thanks for the advice. Sorry I did not recvert before now.

Anyway, fortunately I did not have to bleed it in the end, I just pressed the re-set button and away it went. Stuttered for a minute or two and then solid burn.

I'll know for future reference.

F

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i have the same burner as the OP.

When you're bleeding it should the heating be on or off ?

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    i have the same burner as the OP.

When you're bleeding it should the heating be on or off ?

Heating off, the oil will be under pressure, when it comes - unless you have trouble getting the oil through, then turn on the burner and loosen the screw, but be careful.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i tried it and it seems to be working not sure if it's heating as quickly as it did before, i bled it til there was a steady drip of oil.

Any advice, or am i being too worried?!

If it's running, it's probably OK. It will take a bit longer to heat initially because it was off for a while and the water in the system will be colder than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

We've got one of these, and yesterday it had the Lockout light on, which means to me "out of oil! get more!". So I did. And last night we had plenty of heat.

Today however, its Lockout light again. I tried loosening the top valve as described above... no joy. Even took it completely off. Oil did not drip. Still get the Lockout light when I press the starter button.

Any idea what's wrong, and what I can do to sort it? Thanks!

Yoda wrote: »
    We've got one of these, and yesterday it had the Lockout light on, which means to me "out of oil! get more!". So I did. And last night we had plenty of heat.

Today however, its Lockout light again. I tried loosening the top valve as described above... no joy. Even took it completely off. Oil did not drip. Still get the Lockout light when I press the starter button.

Any idea what's wrong, and what I can do to sort it? Thanks!

Check the fire valve, just back from the flexible oil line. Make sure it is turned on - it can slowly turn itself off over time. Also the solder joint can fail and the valve will close. The threaded spindle has to be pulled up. It could also be a blocked oil filter - I presume that no one could have turned off the valve at the oil tank - children ?.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

JamesM wrote: »
    Check the fire valve, just back from the flexible oil line. Make sure it is turned on - it can slowly turn itself off over time. Also the solder joint can fail and the valve will close. The threaded spindle has to be pulled up.
    Well, alas I dont really know what those things are. I found a flexible line... it's next to another flexible wire. Nothing seemed loose. Is the fire valve in one of the photos at the top of this thread?

I assume of the solder joint fails it's service needed. Is the threaded spindle a a part of that, or a separate item?
    It could also be a blocked oil filter - I presume that no one could have turned off the valve at the oil tank - children ?.
    No, no children, and the kittens have no thumbs. As I say it ran last night nice and toasty, but was Lockout this morning. When I press the start button, there is an electric hum for about 20 seconds, then Lockout turns on again.

Yoda wrote: »
    Well, alas I dont really know what those things are. I found a flexible line... it's next to another flexible wire. Nothing seemed loose. Is the fire valve in one of the photos at the top of this thread?

I assume of the solder joint fails it's service needed. Is the threaded spindle a a part of that, or a separate item?

No, no children, and the kittens have no thumbs. As I say it ran last night nice and toasty, but was Lockout this morning. When I press the start button, there is an electric hum for about 20 seconds, then Lockout turns on again.

If there is an electric hum, instead of the whirr of the motor, then the oil pump has probably been damaged by turning over without oil - and is stuck. You could try to find the fan and turn it to loosen off the pump. Although you may need a new pump. If the burner is old, you probably should replace it instead of putting money (new oil pump) into an old burner.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spark1002001

Hi,
    was doing a bit of searching AFTER tinkering about to get my oil burner working. Anyway, i came across this thread and i have been screwing at the screw which is not the bleed.
    Basically i have been screwing the pressure and wondered is it best in or best out? Wish i had seen this before i went at it :(

Advertisement