Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restaurant in cork

Options
  • 21-11-2007 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

headin to cork for a date with a girl

looking for a fairly decent and reccommended restaurant to go to.

id say price range anywhere from 100 to 180 euro for 2.

smart dress code isnt a problem as ive seen a few that only allow this.

location isnt a prob as im driving.

any help is great :)

ps i dont know cork very well, but im sure the sat nav will find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I'd recommend Greene's. It's at Isaacs hotel (macCurtain Street). If you book ask for the seats near the waterfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Myself and bf went to Hardwood last week, it's on Pope's Quay, if any confusion ask anyone for the old "El Goucho's restaurant". Anyway - Hardwood have a great website www.hardwood.ie. The food was delicious, the atmosphere very relaxing lots of tables for 2, whereas in most restaurants the tables for 2 are hidden in a corner. A real bistro affair. And the staff extremely friendly. We booked our table for 20.30 and left at about 22.45, totally chilled and having thoroughly enjoyed the evening there. We then headed off for a late film. I can't wait to get back to Hardwood and I'm telling all my friends to go there.

Greens is nice too, especially as previously recommended tables over-looking waterfall - but sometimes if can get a bit busy/noisy in there.

I'm not sure if it's a first date but if it is - then I'd choose Hardwood over Greens as it is a lovely place to go! Enjoy your night!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Great review of Hardwood Jules, will have to go there myself. Another great restaurant is only new, and in Kinsale, about 20 minutes outside the city. Kinsale is the Gourmet capital of Ireland, and there's a new place after opening up called 'Jola's Restaurant'. It's owned by a Polish Couple, and has a very refined atmosphere.

http://www.jolasrestaurant.com/

And I agree with you Ned78 re. Jola's - took my bf there last summer, for lunch. Some friends joined us there for a glass of vino - we could have sat downstairs in the dining room but everyone was sitting upstairs, so we chose to sit there too. Really enjoyed the meal, though gotta say considering it wasn't exactly full, the service was slow and a problem with their card payment, so had to pay with cash on the day. But I did enjoy the atmosphere and the food. I'd love to go back there for dinner and sit downstairs infront of that fire. OK people - more recommendations....... for non-pretentious, nice, good food, friendly staff type places, as we're on a roll here! J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

ps i dont know cork very well, but im sure the sat nav will find it.

Type Emmet Place, Cork into your satnav. Opposite the Opera House is a restaurant called Luigi Malones. They do nice food there as well. St Pauls has a parking facility nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

Sure any place will cost that much with enough booze! I always like Bully's though, near St.Paul's St.

Luigi's - good for a group in the evening, nice for lunch.

Bully's - great burgers, lasange but Paul Street, very small, cramped.

And if it's a date where you're trying to impres her yet seem casual - then Hardwood, or Green's.

Feeling hungry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

Hardwood,as mentioned above.Really nice food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

excellent. thanks a mill for the info lads.

were gonna go with hardwoods. sounds good :)

And hope the date is a great success, give us an update!!! J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Discussed this on Jaiku a couple of weeks ago. Les Gourmandaise (Cook St.) and Jacobs came out top in this conversation: http://jgalvin.jaiku.com/presence/16523379#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Ah didn't see you have already decided. Always thought of Popes Quay as a kind of miserable part of town so I've never been to Harwoods. Must give it a try, let us know the verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

shnaek wrote: »
    I'd recommend Greene's. It's at Isaacs hotel (macCurtain Street). If you book ask for the seats near the waterfall.

Was just about to suggest that :) Its not too big and always has a nice relaxed atmosphere, ideal for a date!

Place is great, food is top quality, as is the service...not too pricey considering the high quality of the place.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Judes wrote: »
    Luigi's - good for a group in the evening, nice for lunch.

Yeah, I agree, food in Luigi's is very nice but not great for a date, its always very busy with groups going to the Opera House

Let us know where you decide and how it was

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Type Emmet Place, Cork into your satnav. Opposite the Opera House is a restaurant called Luigi Malones. They do nice food there as well. St Pauls has a parking facility nearby.

Luigi's is a disaster, I don't know why people keep going there. The noise in the restaurant is ridiculous, I had to shout at my girlfriend to have a conversation the last time I was there, with the wooden floors, no music, and audio-reflective ceiling, all you can hear is chatter and it grates after about 10 minutes to the point where you can't enjoy your meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ned78 wrote: »
    Luigi's is a disaster, I don't know why people keep going there. The noise in the restaurant is ridiculous, I had to shout at my girlfriend to have a conversation the last time I was there, with the wooden floors, no music, and audio-reflective ceiling, all you can hear is chatter and it grates after about 10 minutes to the point where you can't enjoy your meal.

It feels like you're eating in a canteen in there tbh.

Advertisement