Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Music

Options
  • 21-11-2007 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

can anybody tell me what the entrance test for applied music is like, what sort of pieces you're expected to perform etc.? would be really nice=)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dkit wrote:
    Applicants will be required to undertake an interview and aural test at Easter. Instrumental, vocal or other performance will be a key part of this, and points will be awarded for the audition. Applicants with an interest in composition may submit a portfolio of their works. The criteria for assessment will be aural aptitude, performance ability and general music knowledge.

Thats just from the dkit website, I dont know anyone that does the course

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I am a parent of a LC student who is music mad and wants to attend DKIT to study Applied Music.

I spoke with someone from the college this am who confirmed that applicants will be auditioned / interviewed in early April 2008. She said that it would be an advantage to be able to perform pieces from a wide variety of music genres such as classical, jazz, blues, etc. My son is a guitarist. In addition there will also be a short written test of some description to establish that the applicant has some level of basic literacy (????):confused: but she was unable to elaborate on the exact nature of this.

I understand that the course is pretty well respected outside from what I hear - both from postgrads and sundry others.Hope this is of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 susie_soho

thanks a lot=). does anybody know whether there's an aural test or is it just performance and proving your literacy and motivation?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Velcropants

hey susie! im a first year applied music student at dkit. i would highly recommend it if your interested! great course and great people here! the audition isint amazingly hard, but still, you still have to impress them. you should have at least 3 songs prepared (different generes will help greatly, and throw in some trad if possible) there might be a small essay writing, be prepared to sing, the aural depends on the person. i was just asked to sing back some passages they played, not too hard, but some other people in my class got different things! the main thing is to show you can play a bit and have an interest in music. what instruments do you play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 susie_soho

hey there! great to have finally found someone who actually does the course!:D i play drums, percussion and piano. i was planning to offer to play two standards on piano(waltz for debby and i mean you), a beethoven rondo and maybe a piece by bartok and for drums a grade 5+ new orleans type snare solo, some sort of drumset piece(either my own composition, if that's allowed or something else, it's incredibly hard to find solo pieces for drumset). maybe i'll play a conga piece(up to now, that's always done a good job impressing people, cos hardly anybody plays latin percussion instruments seriously). for the compulsory singing bit i thought about norah jones's nightingale and peggy gordon(to throw in some trad;)). concerning the aural part, i know my chords and intervals, a bit of melody and then i hope they'll think 'okay, she's a drummer...':rolleyes:
    what is the sight reading part about? melodies, changes?? and should the impressing be done more with your motivation or your skills?
    thanks a lot again for your response,
    best, susie.:)

• Advertisement

Hi Susie,

Just to let you know that the invites for the Music BA were only posted out late last week...arrived at our house just yesterday:eek:.

The tests are taking place this coming Friday. If you haven't got anything in the post yet I would say give the college a quick call.

Best of luck!

Regards,
    A.

oh and apologies, forgot about this thread. i dont have much time to be on boards these days :)

the auditions actually start tomorrow, and go until friday. the applications were sent out late, but i think you cant hand them in on the day. thats what a few people did on the day of my auditions.

heres some last minute advice for anyone sitting them. Im sure you're all well prepared by now!

try to keep your pieces (genres) varied, and try to look prepared and enthusiastic! from the range of instrument you've mentioned and once you're proficient in them you should be fine. Just remember they are looking for your willingness to learn, and you're 'POTENTIAL' in music, not just skill, and that you will sit the course through. You will pick up any skills you might be lacking through the course itself. Anything you dont know you will learn through the first semester. its tough but very rewarding :)

sight reading will be impressive but not important, as you learn this through the course. if you cant sight read, they might just stick a music sheet in front of you and ask you simple things like rythm/what notes are etc.

singing will look better if you have a piece prepared. otherwise they might play a scale and and you to sing it back, or something similar.

Again, sorry for such a delay on this but im rarely on boards these days. I know the information is last minute but hopefully its of some use. Good luck over the next few days. Im only in first year, but from what i've experienced, its a great course for those willing to put the work in and hopefully we'll see you in our doors soon.

heh i might be a guitarist poking fun at all the auditionees if im around. call out 'velcropants' if you see saying mean and frightening things to all the new faces! :)

break a leg! :D
    Regards,

Velcro

I am a parent of a LC student who is music mad and wants to attend DKIT to study Applied Music.

I spoke with someone from the college this am who confirmed that applicants will be auditioned / interviewed in early April 2008. She said that it would be an advantage to be able to perform pieces from a wide variety of music genres such as classical, jazz, blues, etc. My son is a guitarist. In addition there will also be a short written test of some description to establish that the applicant has some level of basic literacy (????):confused: but she was unable to elaborate on the exact nature of this.

I understand that the course is pretty well respected outside from what I hear - both from postgrads and sundry others.Hope this is of help.

the test is usually and essay, a subject relating to music or the course itself, and is about 250words/a page long. they will ask you questions on what you wrote during the interview possibly. tis easy enough. theyre just checking you have a basic command of english and they'll ask you why you wrote certain things etc. at least thats the way it was when i did it. :)

Thanks for that info Velcropants!

Much appreciated.:)

A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Had my interview for this yesterday. Went really well i thought. Two people interviewing me were really nice. Went in and played one of my own pieces on guitar and sang. Said they were really impressed with my composition and voice. Woo. Had sight reading and singing back, then sight singing and got it all perfect. Chuffed. I was the guy in the pinstripe trousers and white shirt if anyone saw me haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Had my interview for this yesterday. Went really well i thought. Two people interviewing me were really nice. Went in and played one of my own pieces on guitar and sang. Said they were really impressed with my composition and voice. Woo. Had sight reading and singing back, then sight singing and got it all perfect. Chuffed. I was the guy in the pinstripe trousers and white shirt if anyone saw me haha.

good stuff, when will you know whether you got in or not?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Best of luck with it.

there was a few guitarists to be honest, so its hard to recall but I was sitting at the tablw possibly being loud. :) anyways glad to hear it went well. best of luck, and let us know how it goes :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Got accepted into this today. Chuffed.

Well done Carpo...delighted for you.:D

My son got his good news today too.

Brilliant news.

Got accepted into this today. Chuffed.

cool congrats! did you accept it or are yopu looking at other courses? will most likely see you next year!

Advertisement