Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apres ski footwear...

• 21-11-2007 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Heading skiing for the first time in december and was wondering about footwear..i've heard that the roads and paths in general are pretty mucky from melted snow and the likes. Do you need to wear big heavy fleece lined boots around the place or what do you wear? I've had a quick look around the place..how do these boots go with normal clothes,do they not look a bit manky??

Opinions appreciated and links to the most popular styles..

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Check Aldi and Lidl for their annual winter sales (although i know Lidl have started theirs already so it might be slim pickins') because I got a great pair of boots for €25 euro in Aldi a couple of years back. They're relatively light, but they are very warm and keep the wet out well. I wouldn't go spending hundreds on boots, not necessary IMO.

In fact, my friend usually just wears safety boots that he just had lying around the place and he finds them perfect. Anything along that line that you think will keep the wet out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I just bring runners end of story.

Its not like you might picture, runners are fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What ever footwear you would normally wear to get around town in, unless that would be high heels. Walking about the resort you will probably encounter ice at some stage, but fancy winter footwear won't help you any with that unless you've got a pair of crampons on you as well. Other than that the worst you'll find is a slushy puddle or a big snow drift in the way of the shortest route to the next bar in which case you just walk round it or, depending on how many bars you've already visited, through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

95% of the time you are fine with runners, (as long as the grip at the bottom isn't worn), but if you get heavy snowfall (like we got in whistler last season) you can't beat a pair of boots (hiking, work, they're all good)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Normal runners or shoes are fine. If you have a pair of lightweight walking boots, these are good too. Whatever you normally wear is fine, ski trips are expensive enough as it is without having unnecessary expenses like this lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Most resorts are fine to walk around in normal shoes - just be a bit careful if it's icy or slushy.
    Apres ski is split generally into two parts; firstly you have the immediate drinks at the end of the day. You should find a bar at the end of a slope or preferably half way up the mountain and you have to wear all your ski-gear here. You then go back to your hotel/apartment - have a shower and get changed to go out for food and more beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

As a side note, I always tend to walk on the snow (not ice) rather then the bare footpath because you get more grip. Also road markings can be very slippey (like the white/yellow lines) as can steel steps

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ciggs

Runner or desert boots all the way - you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

yeah, for a one week trip I wouldn't got out and buy anything specific, just use whatever you have, as long as its not completely smooth on the bottom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Funny story here, I went to the US / Canada last year and drove a hire car from Calgary to the resort I was staying at. I went on the 3wk trip with just carry on luggage intending to stock up there. Anyway only brought one pair of shoes which were leather soled. I didnt encounter any snow until I got out of the car at the town nearest the resort. Suffice to say I crawled into the nearest outdoor store and bought a pair of hiking type runners before I went anywhere else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

ciggs wrote: »
    Runner or desert boots all the way - you cant go wrong.

Spot on there!!! Bring 2 pairs of footwear, in case there's heavy snow and you need to dry off one pair - but usually the paths are kept clear.
    Nightclubs and pubs have no dress code - its VERY laid back - its great ;)

Advertisement