Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD to DivX to compress for usb stick

• 21-11-2007 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all

I want to watch some movies (currently on my laptop) via USB on my dvd player that plays DivX - how do I translate a standard movie to DivX (my understanding is this will be about a tenth of the size of the original files), there are programs mentioned on boards that convert DivX to DVD, but can't see one that does the reverse, DVD to DivX, how do I do it ? :confused:

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

What format are the movies in on your laptop? Sounds like you've already converted them to something - if they're standard AVI's your DVD player should already play them

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Cheers for the reply - they are .vob files ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I use WINAVI Video Converter it's not bad does pretty much everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bertisevil

fullirish wrote: »
    Hi all

I want to watch some movies (currently on my laptop) via USB on my dvd player that plays DivX - how do I translate a standard movie to DivX (my understanding is this will be about a tenth of the size of the original files), there are programs mentioned on boards that convert DivX to DVD, but can't see one that does the reverse, DVD to DivX, how do I do it ? :confused:

cheers

If they're vobs teh best program to use is probably Gordian knot, though to be honest if you already have the vobs it's probably worth just paying out for the blank dvds (cheap enough now anyways), and burning with nero or something like that. The conversion process with Gordain Knot can take anywhere from 2 hrs depending on the power of your computer, also you may need to tweak some settings before you learn how to use the program correctly. I'm assuming these are legitimate copyright free vobs btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Actually, .VOB files are mpeg files anyway, just with a different extension. In most cases you can rename the file from file.vob to file.mpg and it will just play. No conversion needed;)

This assumes of course, that your DVD player will play back mpg files.

Is your DVD player USB 1 or 2? Much better playback results if its 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement