Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up french at this late stage

Options
  • 21-11-2007 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Ok I know Guidance Councilor will be the one to talk with obvious enough but what are peoples opinions on taking Ordinary Level French at this late stage?

I was thinking of doing it just for option reasons, I was handy enough at it in Junior Cycle (got a B in Honours) but gave it up because i had it in my head that I would never goto an NUI (don't ask me why:confused:). Just wondering in the ordinary course would it be hard to get a D3 if I put in a bit of work?

My expected points for the LC would be around the 400-420 range if that gives any idea on my level of intelligence :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Do-able, but you will need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Recipe for disaster if you ask me... with grinds and a lot of work I guess one could I suppose.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Recipe for disaster if you ask me... with grinds and a lot of work I guess one could I suppose.

In fairness they're not asking to move heaven and earth. It's not like they need the subject for points. They're looking for a D3 in Ordinary Level.

Drawing from my law lecs here, as the reasonable man looking on I would say yes it is possible. The core topics to work on are the Oral and the listening. Building up a Vocab and phrasebook of simple phrases and general Vocab shouldn't be too hard, ask your schools french teacher for help and then it comes down to cold hard practice - Read french, listen to french and write french. You're not expecting a miracle here, just a D3 so it can be done - you got a B in Hons in the Junior Cert and JC HL French is comparable in difficulty to LC OL French. And be decisive, decide if you are going to do this or not within the next 2 days.

You have time if you decide to do it, learn a phrase a day, a section of vocab a week, write something every week and get the french teacher to correct it, listen to some french. (Your JC HL stuff will help you too - so look at it!)

And to quote a famous person;
    Peter Pan wrote:
    Anything is possible if you wish hard enough

Good luck, and don't be afraid to throw any questions you might have out here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

I think that is a baaaaad idea.

Dont do it.

Really.

eww.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

cson wrote: »
    In fairness they're not asking to move heaven and earth. It's not like they need the subject for points. They're looking for a D3 in Ordinary Level.

This is the Leaving Cert. Inevitably there are people who break down and have real problems with it - and this is exactly the kind of thing that could cause such a situation to come about. It's something that needs to be thought through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Woop_01

Hen-Roc wrote: »
    Ok I know Guidance Councilor will be the one to talk with obvious enough but what are peoples opinions on taking Ordinary Level French at this late stage?

I was thinking of doing it just for option reasons, I was handy enough at it in Junior Cycle (got a B in Honours) but gave it up because i had it in my head that I would never goto an NUI (don't ask me why:confused:). Just wondering in the ordinary course would it be hard to get a D3 if I put in a bit of work?

My expected points for the LC would be around the 400-420 range if that gives any idea on my level of intelligence :p

** What subject do you want to study at NUI..

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

don't bother your ass, it's taken some of my friends 6 years and numerous trips to france to get a pass in french, dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭u2livecd

Crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Ya course its possible youll have to put a good bit of work into it!Considering you got a b in the honours junior cert it shouldnt be to hard to pass ordinary level!

• Advertisement

Hmmm, considering the thread was created around 4 months ago, I'm sure he/she have made their decision :p

Advertisement