Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So then who to follow next summer?

• 21-11-2007 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

With the England heroically completing the Quintuplet of Despair, providing something for everyone to feast on - glee at defeat/relief at a change of regime, who do the boards regulars reckon is worth following at the EL?

I think I'll go for Poland, a side transformed from being utter pants to group toppers under Leo Beenhakker.

With no Ireland, Scotland or England two of Europes dullest countries will not be much livelier next June/July.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

i'm supporting Greece all the way in their crusade of throwing 11 men behind the ball to retain their crown ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Its gonna be wierd aint it?
    Im gonna follow Croatia methinks...they really went for it tonight against england and deserved the win, especially considering they had already qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Eirebear wrote: »
    Its gonna be wierd aint it?
    Im gonna follow Croatia methinks...they really went for it tonight against england and deserved the win, especially considering they had already qualified.

+2 here :) I was thinking on saturday Scotland, but they didnt make it.

Terry Venables for the Republic of Ireland job now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Have to agree, I think Croatia will go far in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

10 lads work for me 5 are polish i have to listen to them constantly so im ABP for the euros.

Croatia would be my choice, they ahve some good players.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Spain for me, yes i want them to finally perform to their potential and win a major trophy and yes, i do believe they have the talent to do it.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i've supported Croatia in the past... i'll be whipping out the checkered jersey again after such a gallant performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

KdjaCL wrote: »
    10 lads work for me 5 are polish i have to listen to them constantly so im ABP for the euros.

Croatia would be my choice, they ahve some good players.

kdjac

The Croatia Manager Slavin Bilic must get a pat on the back, he has them playing good entertaining football at the moment.

Alan Mullary on skysp news says Frank Lamapard had a good game :rolleyes:

Lets not forget who Croatia lost to last saturday as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So then who to follow next summer?

Anyone but England... err hang on ...... :D

Maybe Poland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Spain and Croatia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

spain for me

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Croatia were very impressive tonight; not just in their excellent technical ability but in their attitude. They were very professional, they played the game with huge enthusiasm and they kept pouring forward when they could have easily put their feet up and had a relaxing evening.

However they won't win anything with that donkey Simunic in the defence.

I'll be up for Spain as usual as they'll play their typical brand of sexy football (they had Fabregas, Xavi AND Iniesta in the starting XI tonight, along with David Silva and Marcos Senna) before crashing out in the quarter finals on penalties.

If the Dutch were to sack Van Basten, they'd be an attractive side to watch too. Shame they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Spain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Spain please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool connection? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'd like to see spain do well if only for the fact the have the players to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Croatia and Spain will have my support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Barlow07 wrote: »
    +2 here :) I was thinking on saturday Scotland, but they didnt make it.

Terry Venables for the Republic of Ireland job now?

Look at how many Rangers players started for Scotland last weekend.
    Four. Plus two on the bench.

Would have thought that would prevent a lot of people here cheering for them.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    How many Rangers players started for Scotland last weekend?

who cares?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Like all tournaments which dont involve Ireland, I will be following both Holland and Spain.

So, I fully expect to be left disapointed by Spainish over confidence and Dutch infighting once again come the summer.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Like all tournaments which dont involve Ireland, I will be following both Holland and Spain.

So, I fully expect to be left disapointed by Spainish over confidence and Dutch infighting once again come the summer.

As a cork city fan is it a natural thing to drift towards teams like Holland and Spain :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I won a couple of tickets in the UEFA ballot for one of the group games in Vienna so it will be one of those two teams for me, just have to wait for the draw now!
    At least it cant be England now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ya i think it will be Holland and Spain for me too. They haven't won anything for a while now and they are 2 great teams

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He obviously assumes that club rivalry transfers to the international scene. Only the small minded do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Italy for me hope they do the double.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Used to always be the Czech's for me but not a fan of their brand of football during this campaign. I really like the way the Croats played tonight, and will always be up for Spain as well to achieve their potential. Also you can't not be impressed with portugal when they have Ronaldo, Quaresma, Simao, deco and i'm probably forgetting a few others as well. ( postiga.......)

He obviously assumes that club rivalry transfers to the international scene. Only the small minded do that.

hmmm, I had to be scraped off the wall when Beattie scored against georgia in the last minute
    the reputation that old firm fans have in ireland makes me laugh.
    Sure we hate the other club, but 99% of us dont hate eachother just for the team we support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Spain! Would like to see the Liverpool lads do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

España :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'll probably be backing France or, god forbid, Spain, so one of those 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It does to a certain extent.

Booing Rangers/ex Rangers players playing for their country etc.

It does to a certain extent.

Booing Rangers/ex Rangers players playing for their country etc.

hehe...only when they get the right ones!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Either Russia or Sweden..I love Italy but I have really no reason to 'support' them, even though I was so emotional when I watch Italy play in previous cups, but now since they are succesful the love is not there. My infactuation with Italy is more to do with the culture.

Russia as it is closest to the Ukraine(in my opinion, the old heritage kicks in) as well as my Great Grandparents being of Scottish/Swede origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Spain for me aswell. This can be explained in 3 words: Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta! :cool: Add the likes of Casillas, Ramos, Puyol, Torres and Villa and it doesn't half make you drool!

• Advertisement

Yea right, ya just love Torres and Alonso, admit it! Closet liverpool fan ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Yea right, ya just love Torres and Alonso, admit it! Closet liverpool fan ;)

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth! :D

Btw, I actually like both of them. In fact, they're the only 2 (ok 3 with Steve Finnan) Liverpool players I can tolerate. But Xavi>Alonso and Spain will go crashing out in the quarters as they always do.

I thought you might appreciate a couple of pictures I took in Athens in May! ;)

thanks, they're lovely. Are you a Milan fan? i thought you were a Utd fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Before i went on a trip to Glasgow i wondered how teams with such a hate could support each others lads on the national team (of course, until McFaddens unreal goal I pretty much forgot to check up on the Scots, Im ashamed now, I love em second only to the boys in green :D ). We had the odd moment which we thought might turn dodgy when, in clubs after a load of drink we got chattin to Scots and upon hearin the accent we were always asked "who do ya support?". Always answered Celtic. Half of them cheered, half of them said "ah for **** sake layke mahn!" but it was 100% good natured, everyone got on with each other and it wasnt anything like i thought it might be. The only people we got negativity off was some aul ones we asked for directions.

Truth is, its all about colours. They work with each other and drink with each other. Go to the match and sing either Black and Tans or Fathers Sash. That night, go drinking with each other and good naturely argue over the match. It seems to be a tiny minority who hate the Irish/hate the Protestants, everyone treats it as a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Spain because they've promised so much for so long and screwed up every tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Portugal for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Like someone earlier... Holland and Spain. Because ... they're sexy. Doomed to fail, but look good all the same.

Im often a minnow backer, as with Ghana and Australia last year and Greece in 2004. Obviously before the tradgedy of last weekend I was backing the Scots. But afaik its a regulars affair, no punchers above weight are there?

After tonight, I wanna see Croatia take her :) Lets ebay the oul jerseys now......

Id reckon Germany will win it.

for a laugh can anyone link me a Croatia team skin for bebo? :D Couldnt find anything on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What would be the odds on a Romanian victory? They remind me of Bulgaria in Euro 2004, I put 15 euro on them as I thought they would be a 'dark horse' but in the end they ended up bottom of their group with zilch points and kicking the Danes around the place.

thanks, they're lovely. Are you a Milan fan? i thought you were a Utd fan?

United, FC Köln and Barça in that order. I'm a football fan in general aswell though and wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to go to the Champions League final, all booked months in advance! :)

you being able to get a ticket for that match sums up everything wrong with Uefa and football in general.
    I really dont know wat sort of Utd fan would go and watch their biggest rivals in the CL final either tbh.

goodnight sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

you being able to get a ticket for that match sums up everything wrong with Uefa and football in general.
    I really dont know wat sort of Utd fan would go and watch their biggest rivals in the CL final either tbh.

goodnight sir!

What's wrong with wanting to be at the biggest occaision of the club footballing calendar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

goodnight sir!

Dont know about you but Id love to go and watch our biggest rival get stuffed in a match they were so confident of winning.

Someone who, like me, has a loose but existant allegiance to an English football team 100s of miles from home, and doesnt let it get in the way of reality?

The only people entitled to treat Man U and Liverpool games as life and death as opposed to entertainment/a way to rip the piss out of fans of the main rival are people born/from in Manchester and Liverpool. I like Liverpool. I dont give them 3% of the attention I give Ireland though. And I can easily switch to an ABU once L`Pool chances are gone in the season. If truth be told the main reason I ever backed Liverpool was to annoy my Man U mates. I like the pool, I like to see them do well, but no more than I like to see anyone who deserves a shot do well.

cson wrote: »
    What's wrong with wanting to be at the biggest occaision of the club footballing calendar?

i was in Athens, talking to men who had been to every final Liverpool have been in over the last 20-30 years, and they were unable to get near tickets for this one. As i said, thats wats wrong with Uefa and football in general now, no one seems to give a **** about the real fans. A "Utd" fan had a seat at the game though? Sorry that annoys the ****e out of me. He should only have been able to get one if their was excess tickets available imo.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Dont know about you but Id love to go and watch our biggest rival get stuffed in a match they were so confident of winning.

see above. plus going to watch us is probably the closest u lot will get to a european final for some time anyway! ;)
    shane86 wrote: »
    Someone who, like me, has a loose but existant allegiance to an English football team 100s of miles from home, and doesnt let it get in the way of reality?

The only people entitled to treat Man U and Liverpool games as life and death as opposed to entertainment/a way to rip the piss out of fans of the main rival are people born/from in Manchester and Liverpool. I like Liverpool. I dont give them 3% of the attention I give Ireland though. And I can easily switch to an ABU once L`Pool chances are gone in the season. If truth be told the main reason I ever backed Liverpool was to annoy my Man U mates. I like the pool, I like to see them do well, but no more than I like to see anyone who deserves a shot do well.

Dont wanna open a can of worms here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement