Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So then who to follow next summer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i was in Athens, talking to men who had been to every final Liverpool have been in over the last 20-30 years, and they were unable to get near tickets for this one. As i said, thats wats wrong with Uefa and football in general now, no one seems to give a **** about the real fans. A "Utd" fan had a seat at the game though? Sorry that annoys the ****e out of me. He should only have been able to get one if their was excess tickets available imo.

Like I said the European Cup Final is the biggest occaision in the club football calendar. I would not turn down a ticket for the final even if the tiny tots were playing. To get the chance to go to a Champions League final is not to be sniffed at, no matter who you support.

And thousands of people will have been disappointed by not getting tickets to go to last years final, and you know what? Thousands will be disappointed this year too. Such is life. I for one would not for a second begrudge a football fan of any team their ticket.

On topic, Spain has to be the purists choice this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

you being able to get a ticket for that match sums up everything wrong with Uefa and football in general.
    I really dont know wat sort of Utd fan would go and watch their biggest rivals in the CL final either tbh.

goodnight sir!

1. I put my name in the draw for the 8,000 neutral tickets in February and was lucky enough to get 2 tickets.

2. The lad I went with has been a Milan fan all his life.

3. Athens is an absolutely class city and I went for the whole week to see the sights and enjoy myself, rather than stand around Syntagma square getting pissed all day and throw stuff at each other.

4. I'd booked all this way in advance when United were still in the competition.

5. I managed to get a fairly good deal, with return flights for €150 and a half decent hotel near the city centre for €20 a night.

6. I'm not a tout and would never sell a ticket for above face value, even if it was to a Liverpool fan! :p I didn't exactly fancy losing the money I had already paid for flights or wait until after the semis to book it.

Need I go on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

An Citeog wrote: »
    1. I put my name in the draw for the 8,000 neutral tickets in February and was lucky enough to get 2 tickets.

and thats the problem.

17000 for Liverpool.
    17000 for Milan.
    20000 for corporate sponsors.
    9000 for neutrals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Holland for me.

Go Oranje.

and thats the problem.

I don't disagree with you there but I certainly wasn't going to turn down the chance.

If you're a betting man;

Euro 2008
    Germany 9/2
    Italy 5/1
    France 6/1
    Spain 13/2
    Holland 8/1
    Portugal 10/1
    Croatia 16/1
    Czech Rep 16/1
    Switzerland 20/1
    Russia 25/1
    Sweden 25/1
    Romania 25/1
    Turkey 33/1
    Greece 33/1
    Poland 40/1
    Austria 66/1

Courtesy of Patrick Power Dot Com. Having read through the list of nations I'm gonna get me arse of the fence and stick it on Spain e/w (i.e. To reach the final @13/2).

And Germany favourites? Am I missing something?

Portugal at 10/1 aint a bad shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'd make Germany favourites. Nothing between them and the other top nations but the fact it's right on their doorstep, you just know they are going to perform.
    Surprised the bookies agree with me though because I was hoping to get better odds on them...it's no fun backing the faves:(

I'm putting €100 on Germany and €50 on Switzerland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Next summer I'll be following Xavi and Quaresma

some goal by Xavi tonight! Bet ya loved that ;) man sized tissues and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Portugal at 10/1 aint a bad shout

where my money is going

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Italy. dunno why, just like their attitude + style (Totti is amazing but a prick and Luca Toni is worth his weight in gold tbh)

France at 6/1 aren't bad value. It'd be the last major tourney for Henry, Vieira and a couple others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'll be up for Iberia. Spain and Portugal all the way, also Holland with Ruud i'd like to see win

• Advertisement

some goal by Xavi tonight! Bet ya loved that ;) man sized tissues and all that!

I haven't seen it and can't find a link anywhere. I'll be on a permanent stiffy til I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Every two years since as long as I can remember it's been the same - Spain.

I root for them, tip them to win, and they go home early.

2008 will be slightly different because I genuinely believe Spain have by far the best squad, whereas before I would predict them to win despite having them as slight undergogs against Brazil or France maybe.

Their manager is my only concern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JDnDXTNRK8

here ya go mate, knock yourself out! actually there was a deflection i didnt see the first time! :) he's ****e after all! ;)

Might stick a tenner on Croatia. I'm not so sure about Germany this time round. With Lehmann currently out of favour at Arsenal, will Hildebrand get his chance? Will Ballack start performing for Chelsea and become the force that he was 2/3 years ago? Hopefully Poldi and Klose can click. I'm not so sure about Mario Gomes at international level and I don't really rate Kuranyi. I'd love to see Patrick Helmes get his chance in the spring friendlies but he'll probably have to move if he wants to become a fixture in the national side.

I suppose Portugal are worth a bet aswell. They've been steadily progressing over the last few years but are probably lacking a top quality striker to go all the way.

kinaldo wrote: »
    ....despite having them as slight undergogs against Brazil or France maybe.

Brazil?! Euro 2008?! :eek:

*Looks at time*

Hmmm its 2:24am...

• Advertisement

Croatia lost 2-0 to macedonia at the weekend,i wouldnt get carried away, England were poor tonight, Croatia are a good side, but not near as strong as Spain, Portugal, France, Holland, Italy or Germany.

An Citeog wrote: »
    I suppose Portugal are worth a bet aswell. They've been steadily progressing over the last few years but are probably lacking a top quality striker to go all the way.

Heavily dependent on Ronaldo, Simao, Quaresma and Deco providing the goals. I'd be very tentative about Portugals chances.

cson wrote: »
    Brazil?! Euro 2008?! :eek:

*Looks at time*

Hmmm its 2:24am...
    yes you should re-read what I wrote

kinaldo wrote: »
    yes you should re-read what I wrote

Ok, I presume you are referring to World Cup 2006? Brazil being favourites and France knocking Spain out in Round 2?

Apologies if I took you up the wrong way :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JDnDXTNRK8

here ya go mate, knock yourself out! actually there was a deflection i didnt see the first time! :) he's ****e after all! ;)

Now now. I see he was skipper. Now I can dream about him lifting the trophy as well as winning it.

cson wrote: »
    Ok, I presume you are referring to World Cup 2006? Brazil being favourites and France knocking Spain out in Round 2?

Apologies if I took you up the wrong way :o
    Sigh...

Apology accepted :) although I wasn't being specific at all.
    Every two years since as long as I can remember it's been the same - Spain.

I root for them, tip them to win, and they go home early.

2008 will be slightly different because I genuinely believe Spain have by far the best squad, whereas before I would predict them to win despite having them as slight underdogs against Brazil or France maybe.

Their manager is my only concern.
    Time to log off methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sweden at 25/1 isn't a bad bet.

I'll be behind Spain though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Will be shouting for Germany :)

And of course would like to see one of the hosts make the knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Portugal will be the side I follow, hoping Ronaldo and Nani have good tournements (Maybe Veloso too)

Will be keeping an eye on any of the United players that get a game over there, but there won't be many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Portugal or Spain I always put a bet on Spain for every tournament but so far they have never have returned my money.
    So maybe next year ?

I always liked Croatia so maybe those 3 teams I will keep an eye on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

So many average sides in the competition next year. If I could have my way id never let hosts nations like Austria and Switzerland get the tournament. This is the first tournament ever that has the least anticapation for me.

I can see this being absolutely crap.Hope not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I say Portugal. The team they have at the moment, if coached properly, could dominate world football for the next decade. The young players they have are sensational - Ronaldo (22), Nani (21), Moutinho (21), Veloso (21), Quaresma (24), and Manuel Fernandese (21). And at 10/1 odds this summer, I'll be sticking 50 quid on them for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Its going to be a very open tournament. Its a great chance for some one like Poland or Turkey to win a Major Trophy.

Portugal as always lack a top out and out striker. It'll be their downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Where Spain notoriously under achieve in every tournament in recent memory ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Jazzy wrote: »
    Italy. dunno why, just like their attitude + style (Totti is amazing but a prick and Luca Toni is worth his weight in gold tbh)

Lol, Totti retired after the World cup...maby he would come back for the tournament. I love Roma, and I find people like Dunphy saying ''he does it against the small teams'' badly misinformed, but he has been poor in major tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

...and usually gets sent off at such tournaments...Germany seem solid, they did well with a relatively new side in the last WC, maybe they can go the extra mile this time round...

I don't think Germany are solid, but really dynamic. Perhaps you meant solid in squad, rather than actual style?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

well, yeah. I don't see many teams beating them...they've got a good spine etc...yeah squad too.

• Advertisement

Agreed. I think it will be a good tournament...and seeing the seeds I imagine there will be one group of Hell(worse than death).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Spain and Portugal. Perennial underdogs who play entertaining football.

Italy. Have some good friends who live there and I do football camps there. So I have a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yeah Spain for me, though I work with a Spanish chick an she aint the nicest person in the world!

They play some lovely football and they are a young side with some exciting players.

Spain or Portugal have to win something at some point :) I think Holland are an interesting gamble though

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't, they're a very average (and dull) side under Van Basten.

Spain or Portugal are definately in with a shout though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I agree Holland are poor side imo, Mario Melchiot in the starting eleven!?!?! get outta town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Surely Spain will win it this time! I think they will! Although saying that probably end up being either France, Germany or Italy.
    I will be following Spain and Portugal next summer, with a close eye also on Croatia, they fairly impressed me last night with their attitude.

Holland is weak in defense, no doubt about it, but their attack is something impressive.

Robben-Ruud-Van Persie
    Sneijder-Van Der Vaart

That's a championship winning attack

Spain's problem is trying to find a system where Xavi, Fabregas and Iniesta can all fit in. Maybe starting Iniesta on the left and allowing him to roam is the answer. If Aragones can find the answer to this problem, Spain will be an absolute joy to watch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No idea who'll support yet, but i think ze germans will do well, young hungry team. And always well organised and hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Athough I've been an Italy fan for 20 years I wouldn't mind too much if Greece pipped them at the post this year. The only team who didn't care less where they finished in the coefficients and it'd make a great headline if they could retain again. Other than those two.... have a soft spot for Russia

• Advertisement
Advertisement